PDA

View Full Version : power meters

kosacid
09-Oct-14, 10:50
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/471425/Thousands-in-line-for-energy-refund-from-Big-Six
well i found this though i would look at my key meter and its is a hour 10 min out, phoned Scottish Hydro got told nothing they can do, seems im switching :lol: and the meter is a goner

dandod
09-Oct-14, 11:10
Must check mine. But don't think I am economy 10 maybe 7

Alice in Blunderland
09-Oct-14, 13:30
A lot of council tenants had their fires taken out and instead of oil were advised to put in panel radiators linked to economy 10 meters in the last few years. I for one think its the most horrible system to install the radiators cool rapidly once they are off although my parents at the time were told the radiators would hold the heat for a while like a hot water bottle. The times the cheap electric is available are stupid when you consider this is to heat some houses with elderly people in them who need heat most of the day in winter not at stupid o clock in the morning when they are in bed. The bills my parents have received through having this system are horrendous. I have queried and queried them and to no avail they have just come through a very warm summer and even whilst paying their monthly direct debit they still have well over three hundred pound due to the electric company at one point after a particularly cold winter they owed well over one thousand pound. I wish Highland Council would rip the system out and replace it but hey ho that would be too beneficial to the tenant....I maintain someone somewhere got a back hander to recommend this system as its utter rubbish for providing good all round heat.

kosacid
09-Oct-14, 13:43
yes wee are in the same boat then to top it of the meter time is off :(

Alice in Blunderland
09-Oct-14, 14:00
yes wee are in the same boat then to top it of the meter time is off :(

Are you in a council house ? if so start complaining and keep on complaining. There is no way this system should have been put in as its inefficient and not cost effective at heating houses especially at times during the day when folk need it most as in when they are up and about in the house not in their beds. If I hear one more comment about HC getting their carbon foot print down Ill scream as its the poor tenants and I mean POOR who are suffering for this one.

weeker2014
09-Oct-14, 15:04
I fully agree Alice. I have the storage heaters and they are horrendous. They are also very smelly when on :-(

Alice in Blunderland
09-Oct-14, 15:47
I fully agree Alice. I have the storage heaters and they are horrendous. They are also very smelly when on :-(

They are useless I feel for you. I know someone who has the old style storage heaters at least their house is warm. There is something far wrong with this system but the council as per usual wont listen. Start complaining and keep on complaining and eventually something might get done. I would even suggest enlisting the support of your local councilors.

kosacid
09-Oct-14, 15:58
we have been at the council for nearly 2 years with no progress. i have been told that my house is cold due to my employment status and that the council are not at fault as the system is working how it should and not there fault we cannot afford it. between the drafty windows and poor heating which the council cant/wont fix my house which is supposed to be affordable and at a reasonable cost according to the agreement my house is always cold. if i was even a day late with my rent/council tax i am pritty sure they wouldnt give up.

Alice in Blunderland
09-Oct-14, 17:09
we have been at the council for nearly 2 years with no progress. i have been told that my house is cold due to my employment status and that the council are not at fault as the system is working how it should and not there fault we cannot afford it. between the drafty windows and poor heating which the council cant/wont fix my house which is supposed to be affordable and at a reasonable cost according to the agreement my house is always cold. if i was even a day late with my rent/council tax i am pritty sure they wouldnt give up.

I am sorry but this is no way a reason. Your employment status ?? the system may be working however its the wrong system for people who live in a house and need it heated end off. The extortionate cost comes into place when you need the heating on during the day which is when most people are in their house. They may go out to work but thats no bleeding use when on a cold winters night you trundle in at five o'clock and want some heat but dare not put the boost on as its too expensive. Given the fact that as in my parents case they are both pensioners at home most days both in failing health they need heat and dare they put it on they have to then struggle to pay or accept help from family to pay its a crap system but then look how long it took the council to realise the Pulteney heating system was a huge mistake. At least when it was the closed in fire they kept it low all day and benefited from heat all day at a much cheaper cost.Now their council house is riddled with damp as they have the radiators switched off in rooms they dont use a lot and only put the heating on sparingly disgraceful. Im sure if the council officials who think this is such a great system had it in their house it would soon be hauled out.