PDA

View Full Version : Election Posters

Goldfish
21-Apr-05, 21:21
Does anyone know how to get rid of election posters which some of our election candidates think that they can place where ever they think fit?
These signs appear every time there is an election, they are an eyesore and once one sign appears it is soon followed by others from a different party.

It is one thing to have signs on a main shopping street however I don’t think I should have to see candidates names every time that I look out of my house window.

Does anyone know how to have them legally removed?

Bill Fernie
23-Apr-05, 03:52
Itis legal to put up election posters. There are specific rules about where you can put them and how near the edge of the road etc. Candidates are also allowed to use local aithority street furniture such as lamp posts etc. The rules are quite strict and they also state that they require to be remove immediately after the election buy the parties or individuals concerned. Fines can be imposed for failure to comply with removal.

It is a pretty well established part of the democrativc process and is a very cheap way of advertsing allowing candidates like independents the chance to advertise agaisnt the biggerparties who can afford televisions, magazine and newspaper ads. Putting them up of course either requires plenty of helpers or getting up very early each day to do it yourself.

Copies of the rules on posters etc should be available from the returning officers and in Caithness by asking at the service points in Wick or Thurso. Other service points will no doubt be able to help if anyone wants to take up a complaint about posters.

It might be as well to remember that if anyone is thinking of taking any down during the election that it is a criminal offence to take anyone elses posters down during the weeks running up to the election. Police have powers to arrest and charge anyone caught doing so. Laws brought in no doubt in days gone by when opposite parties and their supporters could perhaps get out of hand in trying to win the seat for their candidate.

Given the cheating in recent postal ballots in Birmingham no doubt the police and the returning officers who run the election will be on guard and strict with anything seen to be interfering with our democratic set up.

Still it will all soon be over once again.