PDA

View Full Version : Bird-Feeding Help

Metalattakk
22-Mar-07, 23:32
I have (well, the wife has ;)) a ground-feeding tray in the garden filled with nuts and seeds for the robins, and a nut-filled feeding-cage hanging up, which I've tied a suet ball to the bottom of (all for the sparrows and the rare blue-tit), with another suet ball stuffed into the top of the garden fence which the starlings take care of.

Now, recently we've been visited by quite a few pigeons which have chased everything else off and had the pickings of the suet ball on the fence and the ground-feeder. They can't seem to get at the hanging cage though (but then, neither can the robins). I haven't seen any robins or sparrows since they arrived on the scene at all.

My question is: How do I discourage these pigeons from visiting the garden?

Or am I just going to have to put up with them?

nirofo
23-Mar-07, 01:05
Put a wire netting cover over the feeding area, large mesh approx 4" to allow the small birds through.

nirofo.

lassieinfife
23-Mar-07, 14:57
I had problems with pigeons too so I nailed old tray to post punched holes in rim and used old hanging basket to cover it held on with garden twine ..... result wee birdies happy . .....pigeons moved on to pastured new:lol:

Metalattakk
23-Mar-07, 17:12
Thanks for the ideas, folks.

Nirofo's mesh is probably the best way to get around this, I think.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome, though!

highlander
23-Mar-07, 19:28
The nut-feeder will be needing to be taken away soon, as once the chicks have hatched if they are fed the nuts it will choke them.

The_man_from_del_monte
23-Mar-07, 21:35
My question is: How do I discourage these pigeons from visiting the garden?

Shoot em or shout at them loudly.

Fran
24-Mar-07, 00:49
I have ring neck doves, sparrows, starlings, blue tits, and small crows all eating on my bird table at the same time. when i brush the dog I put the hair out and the birds take it away for their nest maKING.

Metalattakk
25-Mar-07, 06:06
The nut-feeder will be needing to be taken away soon, as once the chicks have hatched if they are fed the nuts it will choke them.

Aye, good point. But what will ma poor wee Robins do now? :(

Shoot em or shout at them loudly.

Hell, I've even tried throwing the cat at them. Not that that fat lad would scare anything off.

I have ring neck doves, sparrows, starlings, blue tits, and small crows all eating on my bird table at the same time. when i brush the dog I put the hair out and the birds take it away for their nest maKING.

Wonderful advice. That answers my question perfectly, I think. Thanks for that, Fran....:roll:

On second thoughts though, could I come round and brush your dog myself, so my wee flock could benefit from the copious amount of freely available nesting materials?

[/sarcasm]

sweetpea
25-Mar-07, 21:52
I had problems with pigeons too so I nailed old tray to post punched holes in rim and used old hanging basket to cover it held on with garden twine ..... result wee birdies happy . .....pigeons moved on to pastured new:lol:

I'm going to make one of these sounds a nifty idea!;)

Ricco
25-Mar-07, 22:11

If you bash the nuts up into small pieces they will be OK. Make sure they pieces are small, though.

highlander
25-Mar-07, 22:23
LOL yes Ricco, when the temper gets up, that is one way i let of steam, get the rolling pin out, and bash the peanuts LOL