PDA

View Full Version : Bartering

sam09
03-Oct-14, 22:37
Org members have all kinds of skills, some have items they want to sell, some need work done. So why don`t we set up a barter swap section/group here on The Org ? Where if you need a job done you can barter your skill or item for sale in exchange ?

Of course it will only work if locally based.

Alrock
03-Oct-14, 22:45
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/Multi-Coloured_Swap_Shop_Titles.jpg

sam09
04-Oct-14, 21:53
Well that will be a no then. So much for community.

nightspirit
04-Oct-14, 22:41
I would have been up for it - but i am not currently in caithness :*(

Kevin Milkins
05-Oct-14, 02:24
I would like to participate and think its a great idea, but I cant think of anything that I'm good at that anyone would like to barter with.

Shaggy
05-Oct-14, 12:20

24 hours you gave this thread before condemning the whole of Caithness. Glad i won't have to offer you any of my services.

sids
05-Oct-14, 14:20

24 hours you gave this thread before condemning the whole of Caithness. Glad i won't have to offer you any of my services.

Yes, Sam does't come across as someone you'd do business with!

sam09
05-Oct-14, 17:13
400 views and one reply, would say that was enough time. Condemmed no one just thought it was a non starter.

Labouring, baby sitting, gardening shopping even. It would surprise yourself just what hidden talents that you have that are worth bartering.

Alrock
05-Oct-14, 17:17
I've got a cold at the moment, so if anybody wants a day or 2 off work send me a pm & I'll see what I can do about infecting you...

crichton
05-Oct-14, 17:59
Suggest you get it set up and see how it takes off. V difficult to gauge real interest until folks see how it would work

sam09
06-Oct-14, 12:15
Suggest you get it set up and see how it takes off. V difficult to gauge real interest until folks see how it would work

Over to you Niall.

Niall Fernie
06-Oct-14, 17:24
We normally set up sections like this because there has been an obvious need to separate a set of similar posts to an area that makes them easier to find.

I can see how the exchange of items could be measured by people based on their relative value but I'm not so sure services would be as easy to quantify.

I'm interested to hear some more comments and perhaps a few ideas for a suitable name before we go ahead and try it.

Perhaps some members that use the classifieds more could point out some posts that already fit the type of thing we are talking about. I know that we do get some exchange/part exchange ads for cars etc.

Tugmistress
07-Oct-14, 17:33
All i could offer is some knitting in exchange for maybe a trip to the shops for me as i find getting out and about harder nowadays, or knitting in exchange for a large bag of dog food? as long as it invoves knitting or basic crochet at my end lol

Southern-Gal
07-Oct-14, 17:56
There was something similar to this in Lancashire I remember. Anyone interested registers then when they do work for someone else they earned keys (virtual) which they could spend on any other service offered within the system. I'm not totally sure of how it worked as I never registered but I do know that the basics were that all people were equal an hour of everyones time was valued the same. Apparently there were plumbers and joiners registered along with childminders and gardeners.
I think it is a really good idea and could if handled properly be an asset to the area. Obviously anyone offering to have children would have to be Police cleared at the bare minimum and any legal issues on safety and insurance would have to be sorted out beforehand.
I 'think' by swapping labour and no money or good changing hands it would be exempt from any tax but maybe this would need to be checked out too?

sam09
09-Oct-14, 13:31
Come on orgers get aboard. Post your ideas or requests.

sam09
04-Nov-14, 19:27
Any ideas Orgers? any takers? Anyone interested?

alistair harper
11-Nov-14, 17:50
Great idea
remember the old days people would go upto a farmer and ask if they would exchange bed and some food for the night for some labour.

Southern-Gal
10-Dec-14, 13:29
http://neeps.myfreeforum.org/about513.html

This is a good forum to have a look at. Mostly it is based in Aberdeenshire but there are some good ideas on it, the above thread for example :)

slinky
11-Dec-14, 05:03
u been watching down east dickering on sky