PDA

View Full Version : Photos - Faces - Names

brokencross
21-Apr-05, 13:29
I appreciate that Cat.org does a great job in getting so much very good photographic material on the site. I think it would be nice though, that if, in the smaller posed group photos there could be some names given of the folks. I am an expat, my elderly Mam and Dad also long time expats (80ish in years) look at the photos and say "I think that is so'n'so" etc. I know it is a volunteer run site and not a newspaper. What do other visitors think, please??

trinkie
21-Apr-05, 14:42
That is a brilliant idea, though I dont know how it could be done.
Bill, who takes most of the photos would need an assistant to take all the names too!
Am I right?
I'm sure it would put a huge extra burden on Bill - and most likely time is short anyway.
But I fully agree it would be wonderful to have the names, like you and your parents I sit guessing .......were they at school with me ??

FM

George Brims
21-Apr-05, 20:26
I agree. This is particularly relevant to those of us who didn't make it to their HS reunion! My God is that really so-and-so? (Getting the hint, Colin?)

Bill Fernie
21-Apr-05, 20:32
I agrre it might be nice to have the names with the photos but as had been said it is all about time. To get the names and note them doewn and then get them on to the web site would take much more time and that woul mean putting less photos on the site. Photos are also sent in by various people and if they come with names these are entered. Often they do not come with names and only mention the event. The bulk of the photos are taken by myself and despite that some folk thinsk there is only one person doing the pages - myself. Colin looks after the chat and message boards and Niall deals with the techy aspects of the site.
In the last couple of years I have become involved in a range of other local affairs but have tried to keep the site moving with new content. Aside from the odd technical hiccup such as afew days ago when I had no access to the site it has worked out fairly well.
I can understand that it is nice to know who you are looking at but I think the site would suffer if I concentrated on that and put less photos on. I could always swing the other way and not put the photos on ifIi do not have the names but that would not really help. The people and others who know the folk in the photos enjoy seeing them.
There are a whole host of problems associated with photos where children are involved and you might have noticed that these photos often do not identify children in them.
I have tried to use common sense for the most part in what does and does not go on the web site and for example it is just my own policy not to put photos from swimming galas on to the web site unless eveyone has changed into track suits or ordinary clothes for presentations etc.
Adding names to photos can also be problem. For example I used to put up the names sent in by folk for older school photos but I quickly discovered that eveyone did not agree who was who in some phtoos. I resorted to putting up all the comments and let you all sort it out as I myself have no way of knowing who is correct.
Another issue on time is the fact that the web siter generates a huge amount of email for me. Answering all of is quite problem. The questions and requests cover a multitude of subjects from requests about family history, where what and when certain events are on. Who runs this or that organisations. Do I know how to find this or that place, person or information. Almost from the start of the web site we felt like the second tourist board and requests have grown over the years. We do our best to answer them all but we are findng this a bigger and bigger problem as the traffic continues to grow and consequently the enquiries.
The main thing is that folk are still enjoying what I am able to put on the site.
cheers

Sans Peur
22-Apr-05, 09:25
Bill, just stick to the photo's half the interest/fun is trying to work out who they are!!