PDA

View Full Version : For specs wearers

Liz
22-Mar-07, 15:41
I was wondering what you all clean your specs with as I can never get mine really clean.:(

Also my scratch resistant lenses are all scratched!:eek:

Thanks!

scorrie
22-Mar-07, 15:46
Baby wipes or moist toilet tissue does the business for me. Lidls sell excellent versions of both cheaper than the Pampers and Andrex equivalent.

johno
22-Mar-07, 15:48
i clean mine with staybright, it,s a pink gel. it brings them up just like crystal. no scatching as i have poly carbon lenses. bought a200mm jar for £7.99 two years ago and ive still got half a jar left. dont know where to get it from now though. it is good. try a google search maybe.

coppertop 1958
22-Mar-07, 15:51
hello 4 eyes .....

i use a spray called crystal clear it is very good to use i cant mind where i got it from

Angela
22-Mar-07, 15:57
I use Boots moist lens wipes ....or a cheaper version from Savers...:) which is just as good.

j4bberw0ck
22-Mar-07, 16:17
Breathe on the lens in the time-honoured fashion and use a microfibre cleaning cloth (http://search.ebay.co.uk/microfibre-cleaning-cloth_W0QQfcclZ1QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1). You'll find them in Woolies, Lidl and just about anywhere else these days. If you keep it exclusively for your specs, it won't scratch.

squidge
22-Mar-07, 16:27
Crikey you are all very organised

I breath on mine and clean them on the shirt or jumper i am currently wearing.

goldenguernsey
22-Mar-07, 17:06
A drop of washing up liquid and warm water works great

Lavenderblue2
22-Mar-07, 17:08
I wash mine with toilet soap as I wash my hands then I dry them on a spectacle polishing cloth of which I have a few of from Lakeland - mine are polycarbon lenses too. I have always done this and never had a problem.

I can see clearly now the rain has gone....

LB :eek:

Lucy
22-Mar-07, 17:19
I breath on mine and clean them on the shirt or jumper i am currently wearing.

I do this as well:lol: , but when they get really grotty i use washing up liquid and a baby toothbrush to get into the fiddly bits.

obiron
22-Mar-07, 17:35
i read somehwere that vodka is supposed to give them a good clean

Fluff
22-Mar-07, 18:08
A drop of washing up liquid and warm water works great

just a word of warning about doing this, if you have any coatings, this will make the coatings break up. you will be able to see the surface of the coatings broken up, will fell rough to the touch.

if you have no coatings, it is ok

quote lucy- but when they get really grotty i use washing up liquid and a baby toothbrush to get into the fiddly bits

Most opticians have a sonic cleaner, theey are brill for getting the built up stuff off. Most will let you leave your spex with them to be cleaned, takes about 30 mins depending how mucky they are

Whitewater
22-Mar-07, 18:16
Mostly use a damp tissue, it works well. If they get really mucky I give them a wash with warm water and some mild detergent in the sink. Works well, been using this method all my life.

Skerries
22-Mar-07, 18:20
i read somehwere that vodka is supposed to give them a good clean

Help ma boab! I wouldn't waste vodka on cleaning my glasses... who cares about a bit of blurring... [lol]

htwood
22-Mar-07, 18:36
Soap and warm water, and drying with a 100% cotton cloth (bleached cloth diapers, ok my baby is 27 this year LOL)
Optician said that tissue or paper towels will scratch the lenses. The microfibre sounds interesting tho.

Liz
22-Mar-07, 20:16
Thanks a lot for all the brilliant suggestions!:D

Do those of you with scratch resistant lenses find that they still scratch easily? Don't suppose it helps that I keep dropping them on the floor!!!:eek:

lassieinfife
22-Mar-07, 20:17
I use good old fashioned washing up liquid used straight then rinsed off under warm water dried with a lint free cloth .......magic n cheep:lol:

trinkie
22-Mar-07, 20:27
Never use tissue or toilet paper - they contain tiny hard bits which scratch the lens. Never use linen for the same reason.
If you use hair spray, make sure your glasses are well covered !

It's best to wash them in warm soapy water, gently move them around for a little while, so that the water gets in around the nose pads, and along the edges of the frames. Then dry, using something soft - a bit of silk from an old slip or tie would do.
Remember to dry all of the frame too.
From time to time check the screws are tight - I even use super glue here, as a couple of times I lost the little screws.

Never set them lens down ! Even in the case the lens should face upwards, as there are usually tiny bits of dust and grit in the bottom of your glasses case.

Always carry a spare pair - especially if you use your glasses when driving !

And when you have finished with them, donate them to a Third World Country - ask your Optician for for details !

©Amethyst
22-Mar-07, 20:28
hello 4 eyes .....

i use a spray called crystal clear it is very good to use i cant mind where i got it from

Amway sell a great lens cleaner - I don't know anyone that sells the stuff now... but I'm aware that you can get it off ebay - it's brilliant...

http://i18.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/7f/cf/62_1.JPG

But I do tend to use squidge's method!

horseman
22-Mar-07, 21:33
Help ma boab! I wouldn't waste vodka on cleaning my glasses... who cares about a bit of blurring... [lol]
Love ye skerries thats a new one for me to try on her indoors,"i've just got this large btle o voddy to clean my specs", bet I still get slaughtered.;)

Violetsky
22-Mar-07, 22:13
try semi-chem in thurso - they have a little set with spray\cloth and a little screwdriver for glasses - also they do packets of wipes that do glasses and pc screens - both clean my glasses a treat

Bloo
22-Mar-07, 23:13
Hello, i basically just wash mine with fairy liquid under sink but i never wear the things, cant be bothered and have annoyance with them too, snapped several pairs (most accidents) [lol]

Dog-eared
22-Mar-07, 23:40
As a spec wearer for many years , I would suggest that applying any liquid onto the lenses and then rubbing them is just scratching the sharp dust etc into the surface, suspended in whatever liquid you use.
Better to rinse under a hot tap , then cleaning with whatever.
A really hot rinse is as good as any , and the less faffing about with the lenses the better.
Anti-reflective coatings are good for visibility and are scratch resistant.
I have heard dishwashers do a good job, but have not tried this.

Scaraben1976
23-Mar-07, 02:30
I swapped to contacts a couple years ago, but still keep a pair of glasses spare. To clan them i give each side of the lens a squirt with Mr Myscle Orange cleaner, then run under a warm top, dry with kitchen towel.

Or if I wear my glasses to work, I clean them with the Safety Glass cleaner and wipes that are all over the place.

cuddlepop
23-Mar-07, 20:43
Thanks a lot for all the brilliant suggestions!:D

Do those of you with scratch resistant lenses find that they still scratch easily? Don't suppose it helps that I keep dropping them on the floor!!!:eek:
Liz I'm as bad as you my scratch resistent lenses are just as bad and not due for replacement till October.
Have got a anti reflective coating too which has stayed intact this time.Lesson learned from straight washing up liquid and hair spray type products from the last time.
I just rinse them in hot water and dry with a soft cloth now

Julia
23-Mar-07, 21:33
I regularly give mine a quick going over with a pressure washer, handy if you already have it out washing the car etc..

The_man_from_del_monte
23-Mar-07, 21:41
I still kinda refuse to wear mine but when I do and they're a bit smeary a good old wipe with isopropyl alcohol gets them crystal clear.

Liz
23-Mar-07, 23:32
Liz I'm as bad as you my scratch resistent lenses are just as bad and not due for replacement till October.
Have got a anti reflective coating too which has stayed intact this time.Lesson learned from straight washing up liquid and hair spray type products from the last time.
I just rinse them in hot water and dry with a soft cloth now

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!:lol: Mind you I have a spare pair and have only worn them a couple of times and yet they are scratched as well.:(
I take it that it must have been from putting them face down in the case.

I have tried cleaning with a microfibre cloth and this is quite good. I've sent off for a gadget which cleans them and is supposed to repair small scratches so will see how this does.

I don't wear my specs all the time and think this is maybe why they get so dirty and scratched as I keep setting them down. And losing them!!!!
Could do with glasses which beep when you whistle or something!