PDA

View Full Version : DVD recorder

Liz
21-Apr-05, 13:10
Does anyone have one and what do you think of it compared with VHS?

I am thinking of getting one but it must be easy to use and not too expensive.

Any feedback much appreciated. :D

Donnie
21-Apr-05, 13:32
Does anyone have one and what do you think of it compared with VHS?

I am thinking of getting one but it must be easy to use and not too expensive.

Any feedback much appreciated. :D

Easily much better than VHS. If you can work your VCR then you shouldn't have much trouble adapting to the DVD recorder. If you can afford it i'd strongly advise you to go for one of the ones with a Hard Drive in it. Makes it even easier for quick recording.

jjc
21-Apr-05, 13:36
I've had mine for a while now. I got it because I didn't have a video recorder or a DVD player and figured that with the cost of buying both I might as well just go for a DVD recorder and be done with it.

They are, at least mine is, very easy to use. Recording works in the same way as a video and playing back works in the same way as a DVD player. Nothing complicated going on and you don't need to fast forward to the blank part of your tape anymore :)

If you get a re-writer (and almost all of them are) then be aware that the DVD+/-RW disks are more expensive than +/-R disks. I've found that by buying my disks in spindles of 100 there isn't any need to use re-writables at all so don't rush out and buy a box of 20 RWs.

Hope that helped.

Donnie
21-Apr-05, 13:52
If you get a re-writer (and almost all of them are) then be aware that the DVD+/-RW disks are more expensive than +/-R disks. I've found that by buying my disks in spindles of 100 there isn't any need to use re-writables at all so don't rush out and buy a box of 20 RWs.

That's one of the benefits if you can get one with a Hard Drive in it. It's good for saving anything you're not planning on keeping and don't need on dvd.

Liz
21-Apr-05, 13:53
Thanks a lot both!

Which models do you have?

I've been looking at quite a few forums and some people said that many DVD recorders weren't very good at playing back pre-recorded DVD's?

Does it matter as well whether I get one which plays - or + DVD's or both?
I knew nothing about this only Region 1 and 2! :roll:

Liz

johnl
21-Apr-05, 14:13
Liz all dvd players will play +/- discs its only the recording system that is different.My Phillips dvd recorder won't record on - discs only + discs but it plays - discs.

Liz
21-Apr-05, 14:24
Liz all dvd players will play +/- discs its only the recording system that is different.My Phillips dvd recorder won't record on - discs only + discs but it plays - discs.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :D

jjc
21-Apr-05, 15:02
Which models do you have?
Hi Liz,

Like I said, I've had mine a while. It's a Phillips DVDR880.

I've had it for a litle over two years. In the first six months it went back to Phillips for repair twice... along with virtually every other DVDR880 produced, but they worked out that they had a problem in their manufacturing plant and had been sticking the lasers on with glue that melted when it got hot (as lasers tend to do). Since they've sorted that it's been fine.

Never had any problems (glue-melting aside) with playback of any DVDs (recorded or bought) and would certainly buy a Phillips again.

Liz
21-Apr-05, 15:05
Hi JJC

Thanks for that!

Sorry another question! :roll: What is the sound like as I am used to Nicam Stereo on my VCR which is great for films and music and I'm a wee bit worried that the sound may not be so good on a DVD recorder? I want it all great pictures and great sound!!! :D

Liz

jjc
21-Apr-05, 16:46
I have to admit that I'm not the proud owner of an amp and surround-sound speaker setup. Maybe one day, but not yet. However, the recorder does record and playback in Dolby Digital and I've never found the sound to be a problem.

Liz
21-Apr-05, 17:53
I have to admit that I'm not the proud owner of an amp and surround-sound speaker setup. Maybe one day, but not yet. However, the recorder does record and playback in Dolby Digital and I've never found the sound to be a problem.

Dolby Digital does give a good sound so it should be fine.