PDA

View Full Version : Piano grand exit

bagpuss
26-Sep-14, 20:26
Have noticed that lots of folk are trying to give away pianos. Mine is in a garage, suffering from woodworm. How about a grand Viking funeral for some instruments, if they can't find good homes?

George Brims
26-Sep-14, 21:55
Build a trebuchet and fling it. Set light to it just before launch. Post video here for all to see!

Kevin Milkins
26-Sep-14, 22:23
I remember the demise of many a good piano when they started to become unpopular. Most of the village fates would have a piano smashing completion with teams of four that would have to smash up a piano and throw it through a small tyre hanging from a rope.

Mosser
26-Sep-14, 23:07
I remember the demise of many a good piano when they started to become unpopular. Most of the village fates would have a piano smashing completion with teams of four that would have to smash up a piano and throw it through a small tyre hanging from a rope.
Sounds like a great Gala Week attraction, teams from local sports clubs competing, what a "smashing" idea.

Kenn
27-Sep-14, 00:04
Now there's weird Kevin....was it a custom peculiar to the area you grew up in?

Kevin Milkins
27-Sep-14, 00:51
Now there's weird Kevin....was it a custom peculiar to the area you grew up in?

I've no idea whether or not if it was a peculiar custom to South Wales, I just remember it as a part of competition at the local fete. I suppose in the sixties and seventy's pianos were considered an old fashion form of entertainment and was replaced in the household by the more modern idea of a TV and a good way of disposing of them was to break them up as a part of a competition. I do remember it being one of the main events and all the local rugby teams would take part.

pig whisperer
27-Sep-14, 10:59
No , it happened in Northamptonshire too

The Music Monster
27-Sep-14, 23:59
You make me weep and now I feel very sad:~(!

Piano is a fabulous instrument to master - it not only has enormous musical value but it is fabulous for increasing dexterity. Electric keyboards and Clavichords/Clavinovas may be taking over in this technological age but they are a poor relation for the rich resonance of a real piano.

I for one am very proud of my two pianos and I would thank anyone who has ideas of smashing them to steer clear of this address:Razz!

trinkie
02-Oct-14, 20:08
Well said Music Monster, I cant believe what folk are suggesting . I'm going to curl up in a corner and weep.

Mosser
02-Oct-14, 21:37
Lovely instruments I agree but if no one wants them and they are going to seed what else can be done but give them a good send off

Alrock
02-Oct-14, 23:20
Why not drop them from a crane on to boy racers.... :roll:

Angel
02-Oct-14, 23:31
I am looking for a piano!...Angel

trinkie
03-Oct-14, 13:34
I think OXFAM is running an Instrument Amnesty just now . It's connected to the Don't Stop the Music project.
I'm not sure if this applies to pianos, but it looks like a great idea.