PDA

View Full Version : Airstrikes

billmoseley
26-Sep-14, 19:11
Once again our brave men and and women from the armed forces will go off to fight evil.A fight we must win. So lets all get behind them. Stay safe and good luck too you all both British and our Allies

Rheghead
26-Sep-14, 19:50
And what will it achieve? What credibility will the UK gain out of it? We are courting allegiance from the most unlikeliest quarters. It makes us look like we are desperate and shallow. No back up plan or forward thinking of the consequences.

David Banks
26-Sep-14, 20:00
It's sunny here in Halifax

rose123
27-Sep-14, 10:06
Rheghead,
Can I suggest you find out what it will achieve, look at the long picture then perhaps you will understand.

billmoseley
27-Sep-14, 10:06
It is very different this time we have been invited in by the Iraq government to help them rid their country of these evil people.

golach
27-Sep-14, 10:39
It is very different this time we have been invited in by the Iraq government to help them rid their country of these evil people.We were invited into Afganhistan look how that turned out, but I agree we have to help here too.

Rheghead
27-Sep-14, 10:50
We were invited into Afganhistan look how that turned out, but I agree we have to help here too.

The US was invited into Vietnam and look how that turned out. The Afghans invited USSR into Afghanistan.

billmoseley
27-Sep-14, 12:28
We have already been warned it could be a long fight. Isis is a group who seem hell bent on murdering anyone who doesn't not conform to there beliefs. I can not see any other option other than to engage and destroy them. Some may say it's not our fight but i firmly believe it is.

Rheghead
27-Sep-14, 12:38
We have already been warned it could be a long fight.

Of course it will be. Arms manufacturers wouldn't have it any other way.

PantsMAN
27-Sep-14, 15:12
Great comment I read today that I couldn't express better myself -

" SO we rush to war, again. Many reasons will be given for the righteousness of our actions.

But already the lies are told. Our own Prime Minister claims Islamic State is "a deeper threat than we have faced before". Really? Is he saying this is a greater threat than the IRA bombing campaigns of the 1970s, 80s and 90s and the subsequent heavy loss of life?

Once again British politicians, who have no experience of war and who would be loath to allow their own children to experience it, are quick to put British service personnel at risk.

David Cameron and the wannabe Prime Minister Ed Miliband are about to plunge us into another intractable middle-eastern morass, dressed up as a fight against a barbaric terrorist group (is there any other kind?) when we all know the real reason - it's the oil, stupid.

As Orwell said: "War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it." "

sids
27-Sep-14, 15:27
British politicians, who have no experience of war

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_veterans_in_British_politics

and who would be loath to allow their own children to experience it,

Do you think that no politicians have offspring in the armed forces?

PantsMAN
27-Sep-14, 16:26
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_veterans_in_British_politics

Do you think that no politicians have offspring in the armed forces?

I accept that a great number of those members of the Commons in the Wiki list have had 'military careers', but on close examination a large percentage of them did NOT see active service.

I said they would be loath to allow their own children to experience it (war). Try to not misquote eh?

Rather avoiding the big point though aren't you?

Or once again, is anyone who disagrees with the WM decision somehow disrespecting the armed forces?

richardj
27-Sep-14, 16:36
Rheghead, I never thought I would agree with your comments, however you are probably correct in your view. ISIS do need to be stopped but if we think that using the air force and remotely controlled drones will do this cleanly we are just kidding ourselves, innocents will be used as human shields by ISIS or they will get killed when hitting targets.

sids
27-Sep-14, 16:36
Try to not misquote

I find that easy. Try not to wrongly accuse me of misquoting.

Rather avoiding the big point though aren't you?

Oh whatever!

Simply drawing attention to your false (or were they just wrong?) statements.

Rheghead
05-Oct-14, 11:39
The people in the middle east would all get along if they could agree to disagree about who succeeded Mohammad over 1300 years ago. They'd even begin to love each other if they could learn to realise that such thoughts do not matter in a modern civil context.

The tragedy of it all is that the western powers have preyed upon such differences in the past to divide and conquer the middle east for their own selfish needs, and now we are picking up the price for that.

billmoseley
05-Oct-14, 19:03
yes we are picking up the pieces. which means its even more important that we do it right this time. We have been invited in so lets listen to what they want. If that mean putting boots on the ground then so be it. Make no mistake Isis must be stopped.

angela5
05-Oct-14, 19:33
if u wr walking down the street and u saw a couple of guys beaten up someone and that someone was shouting for ur help would u ignore them and walk on or put urself at risk and try and help them, is that not what its like over there but on a worse scale, they want our help so do we ignore or risk our troops to help. our troops are trained well and if needed they'd go and be willing to sacrafice there lives to save others from the evil in this world

Rheghead
06-Oct-14, 01:06
yes we are picking up the pieces. which means its even more important that we do it right this time. We have been invited in so lets listen to what they want. If that mean putting boots on the ground then so be it. Make no mistake Isis must be stopped.

Yes we have been invited in. We've been invited in to take sides in a sectarian war and we have been forced to seek help from Iran (which is an Islamic state) who we equally find distasteful as Islamic State. You couldn't make it up.

Rheghead
06-Oct-14, 13:26

That's the thing though imo. We can't do right for doing wrong.