PDA

View Full Version : Caithness LIve aid 1985?

hotrod4
21-Mar-07, 15:26
Does anyone possibly have a copy of the video for this event in the hangar in Wick?
I remember it as a great day where the whole county came together. I ask because i was break dancing on the official video and as i am now 36!!!! it would be good to show the kids as they dont belive their dad was 15 and fit!!!.

I know Vista video used to sell the video but i contacted the owners some time ago and they no longer had copies as they were all sold.

I would be grateful if any orgers out there have a copy i could borrow?
I no longer have VHS but i could convert onto DVD using some software.

I would be grateful for any help.

theres alot of memories for alot of people on those tapes!!

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Mar-07, 16:25
There's definitely a video of this somewhere. From one breaker to another - which one were you?

clash67
21-Mar-07, 16:54
There's definitely a video of this somewhere. From one breaker to another - which one were you?
hi I was a breaker back then too wi' The Egytion Warriors, Donald Mcenzie ( who was in the warriors ) is apparently still very much on the dance scene and has been doing some stuff for big names in the Hip Hop industry ie africa Bimbata.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Mar-07, 13:10
Yer right, Clash; Donald has done pretty well for himself. Still fit as a fiddle, high up in the Kuk Sool Won world, and yes, still Breakin' like he was when he was 15.

I have many great memories of the Egyptian Warriors. If they were around today they'd (literally) wipe the floor with the Gap-hoodied, models that pose (again, literally) as bona-fide Breakers. Clash - yer one of the finest body-poppin' exponents of electric boogie I've ever seen. You were one of the very best.

clash67
22-Mar-07, 14:58
Yer right, Clash; Donald has done pretty well for himself. Still fit as a fiddle, high up in the Kuk Sool Won world, and yes, still Breakin' like he was when he was 15.

I have many great memories of the Egyptian Warriors. If they were around today they'd (literally) wipe the floor with the Gap-hoodied, models that pose (again, literally) as bona-fide Breakers. Clash - yer one of the finest body-poppin' exponents of electric boogie I've ever seen. You were one of the very best.

Thanks Pepsi Challenge unfortuneately if I was to try that stuff now I would end up buckled lol.

mccaugm
23-Mar-07, 18:17
Does anyone possibly have a copy of the video for this event in the hangar in Wick?
I remember it as a great day where the whole county came together. I ask because i was break dancing on the official video and as i am now 36!!!! it would be good to show the kids as they dont belive their dad was 15 and fit!!!.

I know Vista video used to sell the video but i contacted the owners some time ago and they no longer had copies as they were all sold.

Was not in Caithness at that time but I remember the "real" live aid. Was the most amazing memory of my teens. Good luck with your search would love to see it too. I moved up here with my husband a 36 year old wicker so he may have seen the concert....

hotrod4
24-Mar-07, 15:46
have a few leads on this now so hopefully i can find a copy!
I must be getting old as i have just burned the first 10 Electro albums on to Cd and am working on the next 10!!!.
Listening to the tunes brought back such memories, "breakers revenge" still does it for me every time i hear it.
Blasts from the past!.
I was more of a DJ back then making mix tapes for the Wick Crew, but still did a bit of Breakin.

Jeemag_USA
24-Mar-07, 15:52

Were you by any chance a part of the Egyptian Warriors break dancing team? ;)

Oops never mind, I just saw the explanation above. If the Egyptian Warriors were there, maybe one of them might have a copy, I know most of them, one is a cousin and one a best friend?

lagertops
25-Mar-07, 10:03
My bro was in the warriors.That boys were something else,remember them winning the Scottish championship in Glasgow's plazza ballroom one year,they were the biz.

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Mar-07, 14:36
The Egyptian Warriors, in their day, could have taken on the best of the world and competed with them. Looking back, their routines were so simple, yet great to watch - full of inventiveness. Each member was the biz at their chosen field: be it body-popping, floor work, electric boogie, or gymnastics. They were simply too good for everyone else. The scooped every award back then, but am sure the judges gave in one day, and handed a (sympathy) group trophy to one of Graham Scanlon's teams. I could be wrong.

As an aside, it was amazing what Breakdancing did for the local community in the mid-80s; and in particular, hip-hop. The genre opened up a lot of people to music, art, dance and community. I have fond memories of warm summer days dancing in the precinct, a searing mass of people stopping to watch. There was a real vibe back then. Can we say the same now? No, me neither.

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Mar-07, 23:54
lagertops - the Glasgow Plaza Ballroom sadly bit the dust (literally) last year when it was demolished to make way for new shiny, yuppie flats. However, here's a photograph of the interior. Am sure it'll bring back a few memories.

hotrod4
26-Mar-07, 12:09
breakin DEFINITELY brought people together. it took kids off the street and gave them something to be proud of. As breakin was invented to stop gangs fighting and to dance away their arguments it defo worked.
I remember breakin in Wick for so many charity events, we were invited to break at just about everything that went on in the town.
It was great seeing adults who would normally look down on teenagers looking up to us and asking questions about dancing, practising and having a genuine interest in us.

it was a truly great time and did wonders for pulling the birds!! LOL.

Its a pity it doesnt come back on the same level as i am sure many young people now would benefit from it.

lagertops
26-Mar-07, 13:53
I've a few old photos kicking about, and I'm sure that there is video on the go.Good times, loads o stories to tell.

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Mar-07, 16:01
Get the pix up on the board, then, lagertops. C'mie. And let us know your stories... those were good days.

lagertops
27-Mar-07, 11:45
Get the pix up on the board, then, lagertops. C'mie. And let us know your stories... those were good days.

Can you name anyone?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/lagertops/break3.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/lagertops/break2.jpg

hotrod4
27-Mar-07, 18:18
Noticed Donnie M, Scanlon, Elder, willie Miller, will keep looking and trying to remember.

All the best from Wick's answer to Jazzy jay-------Jazzy jasp!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Mar-07, 02:19
I could be wrong, but I think Adam Robertson, one of the Paterson's, and Jason or Alisdair Simpson is in there, too. Are we richt, lagertops?
I've got a few breakin' piccies, too, lagertops; one of them way you, Willie, and Tommy in the Youth Club. I'll dig it out.

Froggie
28-Mar-07, 23:14
Noticed Donnie M, Scanlon, Elder, willie Miller, will keep looking and trying to remember.

All the best from Wick's answer to Jazzy jay-------Jazzy jasp!!!

I have just had a few titters over the pics as well, just thinking that you couldn't miss Elder in the top pic coz he was sooooo tall.
I feel like a young teenager again......those were the days!!!

Jeemag_USA
29-Mar-07, 00:20
The first pic I think is Alistair Simspon, Donnie Williamson, Ali Elder, Willie Miller, Donald McKenzie, Graham Scanlon? I might be wrong and Robert Bell might be in there, but Robert Bell is definately in the bottom one, with one foot in front of the other, Willie Miller at the back, Elder in middle and McKenzie in the air?

Taking a guess at the locations, top photo is on west side of River near Thurso Harbor, between the fish mart and Old St Peters somwhere, the bottom photo is Thurso High Assembly room, think I recognise the curteens!

And those are Hi Tech or Inter boots the boys have one, probably bought from D&E's no doubt :D

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Mar-07, 00:53
Hi-Tec Silver Shadows rule!

Note the two-tone Nike windbreaker Elder's wearing: I've got about three of them in the house. Now, up until the turn of the year these things were a collector's item. Old-school types at hip hop clubs were always trying to buy them off me. Then what happens? Nike decide to re-issue them. Now every cull has got one. But if you're truly old-school like me, then you'll notice the subtle differences.

Speaking of clathes, I was lucky enough to get Don Mackenzie's mellow, periwinkle-blue Egyptian Warriors suit, complete with 'Vista Video' on the back. Unfortunately, some radge - who will remain nameless - 'borrowed' it and never gave it back. I did, however acquire the same suit a couple of years later. In fact, I might wear the hooded top when I take James Brown Is Annie up to Caithness in April. Then again...

Jeemag, I think you might have got Elder and Scanlon namechecked rightly in the bottom pic, but I don't Mackenzie or Bell is in the pic. Namely becuase they were in the Warriors. The other two could be one of the Paterson's, but only lagertops will ken for sure. Am also certain Scanlon's lot were called Rock City, no? Electro Rock were from Wick, then there were the likes of the Mini Breakers, Atomic City Breakers, etc. My own pathetic lot were called Bip Bop (I think?!).

Jeemag_USA
29-Mar-07, 00:58
I think the top pic is the younger crew, alistair simpson far left, scanlon far right, and I am thinking that is Ian Elder in the middle and not ali. The two upside down fowkies are impossible to tell and to be honest I don't recognise the chap leaning on the wall? Actually i take that back, I will take a stab at the guy leaning on the wall and say it is Kenzer, Alan McKenzie.

Bottom pic I am for sure is Willie Miller, Robert Bell, Ali Elder and Donald McKenzie.

hotrod4
29-Mar-07, 11:43
Yip them certainly were the days. I must contact some of the Wick crew to see if there are any old pics of us doing the rounds.

I now have my kids fully up to date on the B-boy scene. They have now seen Beat street, Wild Style, and next for them is breakin the movie!!!!(they love it!).Thank god for VHS to DVD software!

Someone asked me for some "electro" well i have 5+6,7+8,9+10, and also electro 13. If anyone wants a copy(you know thats illegal so no can do!) well PM me and we can discuss the illegality of me doing you copies on CD!!!! lol

I am hunting down all the old tunes we used to break to like "itchin for a scratch", Cosmic blast, captian rock, melle mel etc etc.
them toons sound as fresh now as they did back then.So i cant copy them either when i get them!

Great times fondly remembered and great to see so many people remember it fondly too!!

cheers lads

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Mar-07, 20:41
Yip them certainly were the days. I must contact some of the Wick crew to see if there are any old pics of us doing the rounds.

I now have my kids fully up to date on the B-boy scene. They have now seen Beat street, Wild Style, and next for them is breakin the movie!!!!(they love it!).Thank god for VHS to DVD software!

Someone asked me for some "electro" well i have 5+6,7+8,9+10, and also electro 13. If anyone wants a copy(you know thats illegal so no can do!) well PM me and we can discuss the illegality of me doing you copies on CD!!!! lol

I am hunting down all the old tunes we used to break to like "itchin for a scratch", Cosmic blast, captian rock, melle mel etc etc.
them toons sound as fresh now as they did back then.So i cant copy them either when i get them!

Great times fondly remembered and great to see so many people remember it fondly too!!

cheers lads

Fondly remembered? I never stopped! :)
Have still got every Electro album on vinyl, and I quite often bump into a few familiar names when they come to play Edinburgh, Grandmaster Flash to name just one. The B-boy scene, however, is a different kettle of arm-waves these days, though. Then again, that's probably showing my age. But try telling that to Donald Mackenzie. He must be about 36 now and still throwing down, and wiping (literally) the new, young upstarts off the lino floor.
By the way, who's the guy whose surname was Green? He was a Wick breaker if I remember rightly??

lagertops
29-Mar-07, 22:46
Can you name anyone?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/lagertops/break3.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/lagertops/break2.jpg

Pretty good lads.
Top photo from L 2 R Ali Simpson,Willie Miller,I Elder,Kinzer,Don MacKenzie and G Scanlon.

Then it was the Warriors R.Bell,Willie Miller,Ali Elder and Donald Mac in the Air.
I think Donnie W was chatting up the Disco dancers ,at the time off the photo.More photos to follow after ma holidays.And we should start a breakdance thread.This is about live aid after all..

Jeemag_USA
30-Mar-07, 12:58
Pretty good lads.
Top photo from L 2 R Ali Simpson,Willie Miller,I Elder,Kinzer,Don MacKenzie and G Scanlon.

Then it was the Warriors R.Bell,Willie Miller,Ali Elder and Donald Mac in the Air.
I think Donnie W was chatting up the Disco dancers ,at the time off the photo.More photos to follow after ma holidays.And we should start a breakdance thread.This is about live aid after all..

Yeah I bet Donnie was being a tart [lol]

Yes! I got everyone except the upside down guys right!! I just saw photos of Kinzer playing golf in Tampa last week, thats what made me think of him! :Razz

hotrod4
31-Mar-07, 13:57
Just to let you all know i have hunted down a copy of the vid!!!
I cant wait, will post the b-boy part on You tube or google for everyone to see once i get the vid and convert it.
Many thanks to someone who PM'd me with the details you were bang on they did have a copy!Wont mention any names on here but Will PM with a personal thank you!
Much appreciated
Thanks for the memories guys! Listening to electro 11 as i type got me back to the old days! been poppin and lockin for a week solid! the missus loves my new shape and moves!!! he he

The Pepsi Challenge
31-Mar-07, 17:56
Great news. Be sure to let us know when you've put it up on YouTube. Cool!

hotrod4
27-Apr-07, 09:31
I know i said i had a copy lined up but it appears to have fallen through.
So if anyone out there in .orgland has a copy i would be grateful if i could borrow it!
Thanks to all who have responded so far it is appreciated.