PDA

View Full Version : Laser Eye Surgery

Blazing Sporrans
21-Mar-07, 14:57
Have many of you Orgers had laser eye treatment or do you know of anyone who has? What are their experiences? Does anyone know of the supposed long-term concerns over laser eye correction, as my 13 year-old daughter has poor eyesight, and I'd like to have her referred as soon as she is old enough?

Metalattakk
21-Mar-07, 16:35
Have her referred by her GP.

If there's no medical reason for the procedure, then it's best she wears her glasses instead of messing around with the only pair of eyes she'll ever have.

DarkAngel
21-Mar-07, 22:29
Watch with laser Eye treatment..I Really wanted to get it done but was put off a few days ago when A family member told me of a few people who had it done and it made their eyes worse..At the end of the day..There is Glasses or contacts to help you see better...You only have on set of eyes and thats it..Dont ruien them coz once the sights gone...Its Gone!!

Ill be sticking to my glasses! :D

_Ju_
22-Mar-07, 00:40
I believe your 13 year old will have to complete her growth before she can be considered for laser treatment. This kind of treatment is not indicated for everyone and the long term consequences are not yet known. Also as someone has said, it can go wrong ( and goes wrong more often than the adds leed us to believe). The problem with botched jobs is that they cannot be corrected afterwards.....

In a couple of years your daughter might be able to use contacts. Maybe she will be more comfortable with them than the glasses.

Malcolmdog
22-Mar-07, 00:58
Severe to moderately severe dry eyes are common and night blindness of some degree in nearly all of those who have had the procedure.

Enhancements may be need to fine tune any discrepancies, if you have been undercorrected!

Unfortunately, as you age, your near vision will stilll require corrective devices.

I too, will stay with glasses and contacts, it is just not worth it, to me.

Alice in Blunderland
22-Mar-07, 07:57
My mum had laser treatment and is one of the unfortunate ones who needs follow up treatment on one of her eyes . It didnt work on one eye but was fine for the other one.

Murdina Bug
22-Mar-07, 11:46
Hi, Penelope Pitstop asked a similar question on 1 Feb - if you search the threads you should find some more responses on the matter. I'm not going to give another long answer on this as I responded in the previous thread but I will say that I had it done in 1997, very successful and I'm very happy.

Someone said that the long term effects are not yet known but this procedure has been carried out commercially since early-mid eighties so there must be a fair amount of evidence out there, plus techniques have been refined a lot since then. A lot of people just let their natural squeamishness get in the way of actually considering this a possibility!

Penelope Pitstop
22-Mar-07, 11:47
Hi Blazing Sporrans

I've looked into this and am going for my consultation in April - hopefully everything will be OK and can get the treatment in the afternoon of the same day. (But if I've any doubts on the day I won't get it done.)

There are quite a few different procedures available these days and the consultant will advise you which will suite your needs. I believe that there is a "wavefront" procedure that reduces the risk of night glare.

It's important to research the clinic and the consultant who will be carrying out your procedure. In some clinics someone carries out the tests and it's someone different that does the procedure - you want the same person doing both.

I believe that for some people dry eyes can be a problem for anything up to year after the laser treatment.

Also, I think you have to be 21 to get it done (maybe I'm wrong though).

PP

Cattach
22-Mar-07, 15:17
I know a number of people who have had the laser eye treatment and they are vewry happy with it, including my Doctor.
A football referee in Thurso has had it done and we will know soon how successful it has been with the new season starting shortly!!

Cinders392
22-Mar-07, 22:25
I seriously considered it too as I have terrible eye sight and the contact lenses are ruining my eyes slowly. I was put off a little by they fact that it doesnt stop the age onset long sight. So in 15 years I could be back to the glasses again. However if it works it will save hundreds in glasses which I lose all the time and then end up sitting on them. Also save the putting in and out of contacts, cleaning etc. My contacts cost £72 a year less solution price and glasses so paying £1000 plus one off payment would save a bit of money. Then in 15 years I can get a pair of 99p ones out of lidl for reading the groat on a Friday!

Fluff
23-Mar-07, 20:31
Then in 15 years I can get a pair of 99p ones out of lidl for reading the groat on a Friday!

yeah, providing the prescription is the same in both eyes and you dont have a bad asitgmatism.

Biker
23-Mar-07, 22:59
My wife looked into this a while ago as she has problems with her contacts and refuses to wear glasses. The salesman in Inverness (I forget which shop) was very nice, explained lots and gave us several hand outs.

My parents however know a retired Opthalmic Surgeon who spoke to my wife and his one significant coment was 'he does not know one Opthalmic Surgeon who has had the treatment'.

I think in general the procedure can have dramatic results which can be good or bad.

At the end of the day you can ask anyone you want for their opinion but it is up to you to decide are you prepared to take the risk?

BillE
04-Feb-08, 18:47
I read this a while ago.

Have many of you Orgers had laser eye treatment or do you know of anyone who has? What are their experiences? Does anyone know of the supposed long-term concerns over laser eye correction, as my 13 year-old daughter has poor eyesight, and I'd like to have her referred as soon as she is old enough?

I had it done recently. For years I could not see a damned thing without my glasses, my eyes were really bad, not just short sighted but very short sighted.

The procedure is painless, I am normally a coward about such things, the worst was the ring that keeps your eye still scraped my left eye, the right one went with any problem at all. The LHS was sore for a bit but no worse than when I used to wear contact lenses.

I now have better than 20-20 vision which considering my eyes were -9.25 and -8.75 is absolutely amazing. I am still not used to it, being able to see when I wake up, being able to see in the shower or the bath. Mind you my eyes do feel a bit exposed without the thick protective layer but people with normal vision must have that all the time anyway !

Because my eyes were so bad it was not cheap but it is the best 3.5 grand I have ever spent.

However, I would NOT consider it for someone young until their eyes have stabilised to the level they are going to be. Otherwise you may have to repeat the procedure several years later. They do tell you that though, it is not suitable for youngsters with changing eyesight.

If your perscription has been fairly stable for a few years, no matter how bad (I think they can now do up to -12) I would certainly say consider it.

I am absolutely over the moon, for the first time in my life I can actually see like a "normal" person and no longer have that dreadful dependance on extremely thick high density glasses that were impossible to find if I put them down anywhere. Heck in a few years I may need a pair of weak reading glasses once the accomodation goes as I get older but that is nothing compared to not even being able to walk around the house without specs like I did a couple of weeks back :o)

Bill.

gollach
04-Feb-08, 19:03
I would be surprised if someone as young as 13 could have this treatment. I was under the impression that you are supposed to wait until your prescription has stabilised (perhaps into your 30s?) before getting laser treatment.

karia
04-Feb-08, 20:17
I am genuinely concerned by the TV claims about 'millions of operations being carried out (collectively!) by our surgeons'....it doesn't say that 'my' particular surgeon won't have had only 1, 2 or indeed ANY procedures before me.:eek:

I am blessed with perfect 20/20 and so I don't appreciate the decisions folks are being faced with but I find the 'Legal terminology'...convenient!

mareng
04-Feb-08, 20:53
Agree with BillE.

If your daughter can handle the discipline involved in using contact lenses - go down that road first. I've had lenses for around 20 years now, and find them so comfortable (and cheap) that there is little incentive to go for laser correction.

A friend's wife had laser surgery in 1994 (one of the first, I believe) in her 30's and has required nothing since then.

Penelope Pitstop
04-Feb-08, 21:37
Well, I can report back that I had the laser eye treatment.....and it's the best thing I ever did. Would recommend it.:Razz

What I would say is research the ACTUAL surgeon who will be doing your treatment. How many procedures have they done, are they on commission, what is their career history....

I got a great guy, trusted him 110%.

No contact lenses....it's magic!!

donnasmithy27
04-Feb-08, 23:33
I got mine done in Inverness about 6 months ago and ive never looked back i wish i got it done a long time ago, They are very good, they look into everything and wont touch you untill their 100 %, I can now see better than what i did with glasses , so im happy :)

pirateeye
05-Feb-08, 00:18
my granny had this done a good few months ago, less than a year and she didn't find it very good, it wasn't bad, it did help one eye a little but it didn't help vast amounts then again she is in very poor health and has diabetes so i'm not sure if it just wasn't a good treatment or her other illnesses made it not work properly...

Riffman
05-Feb-08, 00:51
My own personal view is that I will not get it done until it is 100% perfect.

99.99% perect is not as good as it sounds.

That means that for every 1,000 people who do it, 1 person will go wrong....

Far too high odds for my liking. I have a relative who is blind, and I value my sight tremendously.

Metalattakk
05-Feb-08, 03:20
my granny had this done a good few months ago, less than a year and she didn't find it very good, it wasn't bad, it did help one eye a little but it didn't help vast amounts then again she is in very poor health and has diabetes so i'm not sure if it just wasn't a good treatment or her other illnesses made it not work properly...

There's a world of difference between treatment for Diabetic Retinopathy (which I presume your granny was treated for) and cosmetic laser eye surgery.

Personally, I've had my share (and some) of laser surgery for Diabetic Retinopathy, and my eyesight has been saved, luckily. For now.

But unless my 'natural' short-sightedness became close to the level of utter blindness, I'd refuse cosmetic laser surgery completely. I just don't trust it, and I don't believe the future effects or side effects have been explored and noted yet.

You only get one pair of eyes. Don't muck about with them.

bluelady
05-Feb-08, 10:48
my son had it done in Inverness in October and it was fine. He has recieved aftercare appointments and has a checkup again in March. They check your medical history and give you a note to give to your Dr before hand, so if your Dr thought there was any likely problems, he could tell me/you.My sons eyesight is now 20/20 and he can do things without the hassle of glasses/lenses.

BillE
05-Feb-08, 12:17
There's a world of difference between treatment for Diabetic Retinopathy (which I presume your granny was treated for) and cosmetic laser eye surgery.

Personally, I've had my share (and some) of laser surgery for Diabetic Retinopathy, and my eyesight has been saved, luckily. For now.

But unless my 'natural' short-sightedness became close to the level of utter blindness, I'd refuse cosmetic laser surgery completely. I just don't trust it, and I don't believe the future effects or side effects have been explored and noted yet.

You only get one pair of eyes. Don't muck about with them.

Typical response you tend to get from people who can see reasonably well and maybe only use glasses now and again or just to see slightly better!

There is nothing merely "cosmetic" about having laser surgery. Cosmetic surgery is nothing but shallowness. Being able to see is a far cry from having a nose job. I regarded my myopia as a disability even though the UK government does not :-(

Being able to see without glasses for the first time in over 35 years is an amazing experience and nothing to do with looking better.

Technology is moving on all the time the surgery is almost routine now, it is far less stressful that a trip to the dentist for sure.

A few years ago they could not do myopia as extreme as mine, now they can. So I was probably taking a risk more than most, but anything would have been an improvement on the eyes I had even if I had ended up having to wear some form of glasses still. To see better than 20-20 is certainly a bonus but worth every penny. Even without the vast improvement just being able to see when first getting up or in the bathroom is a huge benefit to my lifestyle.

BTW. Ignore the "from" prices, they are for very minor surgery for people that wouldn't really need it at all, so it will cost a lot still. The cheap operations probably are cosmetic but that is certainly not a good enough reason to get it done. Very bad eyesight is a valid reason and not at all "cosmetic". I'm still as ugly as I ever was, I just don't have a 100% dependence on glasses anymore.

Bill.

BillE
05-Feb-08, 12:23
My own personal view is that I will not get it done until it is 100% perfect.

99.99% perfect is not as good as it sounds.

That means that for every 1,000 people who do it, 1 person will go wrong....

Far too high odds for my liking. I have a relative who is blind, and I value my sight tremendously.

It is better odds than almost anything else you do on a daily basis without thinking about it ! The odds are extremely good in fact.

I suppose my eyes are in some danger now, I am in danger of poking them as I got used to having a protective layer in front of them for most of my life which is no longer there. But people with normal eyesight have that problem too.

If someone needs to get it done I would certainly advise do so now, after having been through the rather daunting experience.

If someone is doing it just to look better they are better off not taking the risk and putting up with the irritation and infection risk of wearing contact lenses.

Bill

NickInTheNorth
05-Feb-08, 12:33
Typical response you tend to get from people who can see reasonably well and maybe only use glasses now and again or just to see slightly better!

There is nothing merely "cosmetic" about having laser surgery. Cosmetic surgery is nothing but shallowness. Being able to see is a far cry from having a nose job. I regarded my myopia as a disability even though the UK government does not :-(

Being able to see without glasses for the first time in over 35 years is an amazing experience and nothing to do with looking better.

Technology is moving on all the time the surgery is almost routine now, it is far less stressful that a trip to the dentist for sure.

A few years ago they could not do myopia as extreme as mine, now they can. So I was probably taking a risk more than most, but anything would have been an improvement on the eyes I had even if I had ended up having to wear some form of glasses still. To see better than 20-20 is certainly a bonus but worth every penny. Even without the vast improvement just being able to see when first getting up or in the bathroom is a huge benefit to my lifestyle.

BTW. Ignore the "from" prices, they are for very minor surgery for people that wouldn't really need it at all, so it will cost a lot still. The cheap operations probably are cosmetic but that is certainly not a good enough reason to get it done. Very bad eyesight is a valid reason and not at all "cosmetic". I'm still as ugly as I ever was, I just don't have a 100% dependence on glasses anymore.

Bill.

Well said Bill

I too rely on my glasses 100%. I used to be able to wear contact lenses and they cost me a fortune, but it was worth it. A few years ago I had a very serious shingles infection which resulted in serious damage to me left eye. Due to the level of scarring I am no longer able to wear contacts, nor am I able to have laser eye surgery.

I would give anything not to have to wear glasses. They make everyday life a real pain.

Metalattakk
05-Feb-08, 14:12

Bill.

Typical response from someone who reads a post and knee-jerks uncontrollably at the presence of one single word - "cosmetic".

There are plenty of instances of people having this surgery simply to remove the need to wear glasses. Why do you think the laser surgery companies have taken to advertising on television?

But unless my 'natural' short-sightedness became close to the level of utter blindness, I'd refuse cosmetic laser surgery completely.

I think you'll find by my statement above that I'd only have laser eye correction as a last resort. I'm sure any respectable physician would recommend the same.

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-08, 14:33
99.99% perfect is not as good as it sounds. That means that for every 1,000 people who do it, 1 person will go wrong.... Far too high odds for my liking

On a point of information, 99.99% would be one in 10,000. I strongly suspect those odds are a lot longer than than the chances of dying as a result of an invasive surgical procedure in an NHS hospital! (but can't offhand find figures to in Google).

I think my quibble, if I had one, would be with the percentage.

Being able to just go and book a procedure such as this would in my view be a major step forward for some other stuff within the NHS. Like the French system; always put up as an example of health service excellence.

Margaret M.
05-Feb-08, 14:56
Typical response from someone who reads a post and knee-jerks uncontrollably at the presence of one single word - "cosmetic".

No, I think it was a tyical response from someone who was surprised that you consider a desire to see clearly again to be "cosmetic". What a freeing surgery this must be. I cannot imagine how it must be to see everything as a blur -- having to get help when a contact is dropped or when glasses fall from reach. This is a hugely successful surgery so why not be free from the hassle of wearing contacts or glasses?

There are plenty of instances of people having this surgery simply to remove the need to wear glasses. Why do you think the laser surgery companies have taken to advertising on television?

If people have surgery to reverse hearing loss, would you consider it cosmetic -- all they want is to remove the need to wear a hearing aid?

Highland Laddie
05-Feb-08, 16:11
Both my daughter and eldest son had the laser eye treatment done in Edinburgh,
both had no problems of any kind, and are delighted with the results.

Penelope Pitstop
05-Feb-08, 20:44

I think you'll find by my statement above that I'd only have laser eye correction as a last resort. I'm sure any respectable physician would recommend the same.

As I've said, I've had mine done. I don't agree that it's at all cosmetic surgery. I didn't have it done 'cause I'm bothered about how I look - I wore contacts. I don't look any different now than I did before I had it done!! lol. I got contacts instead of glasses because I couldn't stand the "blind" spot when looking to the side or down when wearing my glasses.

I can now see........absolutely brilliant....... for the first time in over 20 years. No glasses, no contacts, great. I couldn't see further than my outstretched arm....my sight has never been so good.

It cost me £970 for both eyes (-6.75 prescription) so alot cheaper than glasses and contact costs over the next couple of years.

As I've said before...research, research, research...don't just let anyone do it.

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-08, 20:52
I suppose you could argue it's cosmetic surgery.

Like an removal of an ingrowing toenail, or a wart, or cyst, or mole or (as in the case of a friend of mine) an operation to sort out some ligament and tendon issues, are cosmetic; the latter is of course purely cosmetic because he walked with a stick before it was done and didn't need it after.

Penelope Pitstop
05-Feb-08, 22:01
I suppose you could argue it's cosmetic surgery.

Like an removal of an ingrowing toenail, or a wart, or cyst, or mole or (as in the case of a friend of mine) an operation to sort out some ligament and tendon issues, are cosmetic; the latter is of course purely cosmetic because he walked with a stick before it was done and didn't need it after.

Hi j4bberw0ck, not seen you around much lately...bit like myself. lol

OK...is cataract treatment cosmetic?? It's correcting sight ..same as laser.....

Metalattakk
05-Feb-08, 22:06
As I've said, I've had mine done. I don't agree that it's at all cosmetic surgery.

Nor do I. In some cases there is a genuine medical reason. Are those the people the TV adverts are targeting?

Penelope Pitstop
05-Feb-08, 22:51
Nor do I. In some cases there is a genuine medical reason. Are those the people the TV adverts are targeting?

Hi
Do you mean a "medical reason" as in you may loose your sight all together?? That doesn't bear thinking about....

The laser companies are targeting the people that "just can't see" (was a huge problem for me......not life threatening I admit) as are the companies selling specs and contact lenses....no difference between them. There is a need out there ..... all us blind bats......thank god technology has come on a long way. Cheaper for me than glasses or contacts...got to be good:)

Liz
06-Feb-08, 00:15
If I could afford it and thought it would be successful I would love to have laser surgery.
Mind you there are advantages to wearing specs! When you take them off and look in the mirror you can't see all the imperfections!!lol

Metalattakk
06-Feb-08, 01:33
Hi
Do you mean a "medical reason" as in you may loose your sight all together?? That doesn't bear thinking about....

Well, no not quite. By 'medical reason' I mean that a doctor would refer you for, or recommend you go through the treatment. In cases where the vision has deteriorated beyond the level where glasses or contacts can help, for instance.

The laser companies are targeting the people that "just can't see" (was a huge problem for me......not life threatening I admit) as are the companies selling specs and contact lenses....no difference between them. There is a need out there ..... all us blind bats......thank god technology has come on a long way. Cheaper for me than glasses or contacts...got to be good:)

No, there is no need out there at all, except for those I outlined above. Anyone who goes through this procedure without a medical recommendation is basically getting cosmetic surgery.

The ads are aimed at people who wear glasses/contacts and can't be bothered with the hassle. They are slanted to suggest that people who don't wear glasses are somehow more attractive and happier. Well, they would, wouldn't they? They want your money after all.

Given that there has been little evidence of the long-term safety of the procedure yet (it'll possibly take 30 years or so to collect that information), who knows what damage is being done to the eye?

Would you go through with the operation if you knew that complications or side-effects would mean that you would be effectively rendered irreversibly blind in 30 years time? Would that be worth the money you'd have saved on contacts/glasses in the meantime?

Well that's my point. We don't know the long-term effects.

As I've said before - You only get one pair of eyes. Don't muck around with them.

Penelope Pitstop
06-Feb-08, 20:20
As I've said I'm perfectly happy with mine.

My doctor recommended it - he's had it done! Also optician thought it was great treatment...he even recommended the surgeon!!:Razz

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-Feb-08, 22:27
I wear ma glasses for Tv and books,oh aye and the org.Laser eye surgery,too expensive for me.If I could afford it,I think I would.

BillE
06-Feb-08, 23:28
A

I can now see........absolutely brilliant....... for the first time in over 20 years. No glasses, no contacts, great. I couldn't see further than my outstretched arm....my sight has never been so good.

It cost me £970 for both eyes (-6.75 prescription) so alot cheaper than glasses and contact costs over the next couple of years.

As I've said before...research, research, research...don't just let anyone do it.

It was well over 35 years for me. Maybe even sooner but in those days they tried to avoid pushing glasses onto if you could even half see - maybe not a good idea to delay it so much !

An outstretched arm sounds like a luxury, I could see my finger at 4" away from my face withouth the glasses, anything beyond that was just a blur. Basically if I had another disabilty the UK government would have thrown money at me, yet for bad eyesight you have to fork out for yourself on the wonderful UK :-(

It is not exactly easy to do things when you can "naturally" only see to about 4 inches away. People do not seem to realise that poor sight is a genuine disability :-(

The guy that thought my laser fixing was "cosmetic" really needs some serious rectum surgery :-)

Wow you got both your eyes done for less than one of mine, but mine were really bad so I do not regret the cost.

Not only can I now see without glasses, to see slightly blurry without glasses would have been fantastic. Yet I can now see far better than I have ever done with glasses or contacts in the last 40 years or so. It is absolutely amazing.

If my eyes degrade in the next 30 years - assuming I live that long - they will still be far better than they were before I had the treatment :o)

Like you am I really happy with the treatment. We did not do this for "fun", but because we needed to. People watch far too much garbage like Nip_Tuck on TV these days :-(

As for the Metal Guy's "cosmetic" approach I really got pissed off when you could no longer get NHS glasses but had to pay a fortune for "look cool" designer frames every time you had to go for an eye test. Fixing the thing for good is a much better and far less image conscious idea :-)

The technology is here to allow people to see, it has risks but should be used where appropriate. In my case and yours it was. For some it will not be especially the young whose eyes are still changing.

For me it was the best money I have ever spent.

Bill.

BillE
06-Feb-08, 23:51
Well said Bill

I too rely on my glasses 100%. I used to be able to wear contact lenses and they cost me a fortune, but it was worth it. A few years ago I had a very serious shingles infection which resulted in serious damage to me left eye. Due to the level of scarring I am no longer able to wear contacts, nor am I able to have laser eye surgery.

I would give anything not to have to wear glasses. They make everyday life a real pain.

Ahhh, someone who knows what I am talking about :o)

I had contacts for a while, PAIN is the appropriate word. I had them for about 10 years but the irritation and infection risk meant I gave themn up a long time ago, my missus never saw me in contacts it was that long ago.

I could see slightly better with contacts as there are less surfaces for light to be refracted through. Now I have even less surfaces to interfere with the optical process.

Your situation sounds like that of my wife, she was refused laser surgery because her corneas are scarred and too thin.

She had a treatment similar to a cataract operation - far too extreme and risky for me - but her eyesight being improved gave me the courage to get the laser vision done. No sugrgical impliments involved with mine at all thank goodness.

But even folk with bad scarring can get their eyes made better if not 100% perfect. That extreme surgery unless it was really needed to save an eye is not for me, but it is still possible.

Give me the less intrusive laser treatment any day, and with even that I would be lying if I said I was not scared about it beforehand.

As for me I had a bath this afternoon and could actually see my feet. That is something I did not think of before but how wonderful it is to actually be able to do so :-)

Bl**dy amazing and worth every penny IMHO.

Bill.

Metalattakk
07-Feb-08, 03:48
As for the Metal Guy's "cosmetic" approach..</snip>

Just haud yer horses for a god-damned minute. I never for a second suggested that people who needed laser eye correction surgery were doing it for 'cosmetic' reasons.

My concern lies with those who wear glasses or contacts and wish to be rid of the day-to-day hassle, even though they currently can optimise their vision sufficiently by wearing said glasses/contacts.

Having to wear glasses to see certain things clearly, does not equate to a need for irreversibly treating the only pair of eyes you will ever have.

Please keep that jerky knee under control.

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-08, 04:01
I agree, I have thought about getting it now and then, but it is scarey.

Commence the single entendres.

Penelope Pitstop
07-Feb-08, 17:49
I agree, I have thought about getting it now and then, but it is scarey.

Commence the single entendres.

I can emphasise with you Boozeburglar. I thought about it for about 5 years.

I was bricking it when I went for my consultation, but the guy I seen was very experienced in eye treatments (not just laser) , just first class, and put my mind right at ease....explained absolutely everything - in a nutshell I trusted him.

Boy was it worth the wait....absolutely brilliant. I can't rave about it enough.:lol: