PDA

View Full Version : overpriced second-hand furniture

Ballymore
20-Sep-14, 11:28
Was in a charity shop the other day and a man asked for the priced of a couch with two chairs.

£200!

If the couch and chairs were given free to the charity shop how can they have the audacity to put such a high price tag on it! They weren't even in great condition. I know there are overheads like rent and electricity etc but £200 - ridiculous :( Are charity shops and home aid fleecing us?

Westward
20-Sep-14, 12:08
Was in a charity shop the other day and a man asked for the priced of a couch with two chairs.

£200!

If the couch and chairs were given free to the charity shop how can they have the audacity to put such a high price tag on it! They weren't even in great condition. I know there are overheads like rent and electricity etc but £200 - ridiculous :( Are charity shops and home aid fleecing us?

Homeaid are NOT fleecing anyone, good quality furniture can be bought from two outlets in Thurso..did you look in both?
As for other charity shops..I cannot comment,

Kodiak
20-Sep-14, 12:25
If you do not like a Price for an Item that a Charity Shop is Selling :eek:, then do not buy it and walk on out. Simples :Razz

Shaggy
20-Sep-14, 12:29
I too have seen many items in local charity shops at ridiculous prices and not just furniture. Unfortunately there are a few unscrupulous people who will pay peanuts for an item then immediately stick it on Ebay for a profit which has now meant charity shops often checking Ebay etc for a valuation and pricing accordingly. Not long ago i bought an item only to do a small job with and donated it back to the same shop as i bought it from. following day it was in the window at 3 times the original price i paid for it and very nearly at new price. Choose a shop you are comfortable using and are happy with their pricing but ultimately they are a business.

smith892316
20-Sep-14, 14:55
Homeaid is just ripping people off

smithp
20-Sep-14, 15:37
I too have seen many items in local charity shops at ridiculous prices and not just furniture. Unfortunately there are a few unscrupulous people who will pay peanuts for an item then immediately stick it on Ebay for a profit which has now meant charity shops often checking Ebay etc for a valuation and pricing accordingly. Not long ago i bought an item only to do a small job with and donated it back to the same shop as i bought it from. following day it was in the window at 3 times the original price i paid for it and very nearly at new price. Choose a shop you are comfortable using and are happy with their pricing but ultimately they are a business.

Yeah I tried to do this but could'nt get the sofa in the letterbox:)

Kodiak
20-Sep-14, 16:15
Homeaid is just ripping people off

No one is forcing you into buying items from HomeAid, as I said above if you do not like a price then don't buy and walk out. Simples!

Mr P Cannop
20-Sep-14, 18:30
aye i agree

Shaggy
20-Sep-14, 19:31
Yeah I tried to do this but could'nt get the sofa in the letterbox:)

What did you expect? its a letterbox, not a sofabox. :roll:

George Brims
25-Sep-14, 18:14
I feed my book addiction through charity shops, and I find the problem is often the volunteers who price things not having a clue. I've seen items at both ridiculously high and ridiculously low prices, often on opposite sides of the same shop, depending who was working the day they went on the shelf.