PDA

View Full Version : Union membership and donations to Labour.

Rheghead
19-Sep-14, 19:18
I heard today that you can change the terms of a union membership so that you do not make any donations to the Labour party. Is this true has anyone done this? thanks :confused

golach
19-Sep-14, 19:31
It's true Rheg, find out from your shop steward how to cancel your "Political Levy", you may have to sign a document.

Lorne
19-Sep-14, 19:33
The last time I updated details there was an "opt out" box on the form. That was a few years back.

sam09
19-Sep-14, 19:37
Rheghead, only partially true, it is not on an individual basis it will only apply if the majority of members vote not to make donations to Labour party. Me thinks it should apply on an individual basis.

Rheghead
19-Sep-14, 20:08
Thanks, I will look into this considering recent events.

Lorne
19-Sep-14, 20:11
Just checked, legally individual members have to be offered the "opt out"

Edit* found on UNITE web page - search for political fund

sids
19-Sep-14, 22:57
Opting out of the political levy has been available for decades.

What union are you in? Don't they keep you informed?

sam09
19-Sep-14, 23:40
Sids different unions have different interpretations of opting out for members.

golach
20-Sep-14, 00:00
Sids different unions have different interpretations of opting out for members.It's the law, and all unions have the same get out clause, pay or not to pay Political Levy.

Rheghead
20-Sep-14, 00:49
well i will be stopping my little payment to Labour at the nearest opportunity. Really disgusted at the way they have behaved. In bed with the tories, UKIP and BNP. no vision whatsoever.

bekisman
20-Sep-14, 07:04
Well Reggie, back in the 1980's as a Firefighter in the West Mids the FBU was really very left wing, I was a Tory, and objected that I was paying money into the Labour Party via a political levy, so found that I had to sign a pice of paper to stop it, other Firefighters asked how to do it, so I ran off a load on my duplicator and 64 others did the same!

pat
20-Sep-14, 09:00
In 70s I requested not to pay money to political party, think it was about about 5 or 10p a month then but was determined political parties were not getting any of my hard earned money to help them stay in luxury hotels and travel first class, way above the comfort if they had been paying for it themselves. Found it very easy, signed a form in the financial department and that was it, nobody else needs to know.

plank
21-Sep-14, 08:47
Why would u want to pay in to a union anyway

sids
21-Sep-14, 10:48
Why would u want to pay in to a union anyway

To be a member.

Rheghead
27-Sep-14, 13:35
If you are in UNITE then you can download the opt out form here. Just print it off on a A4 setting

https://www.dropbox.com/s/peqb359kp2e7mlo/UNITE.jpg?dl=0

You can send it off to your local branch. Our branch is the Dundee branch

Unite the union,
110 Blackness Road,
Dundee
DD1 5PB

http://www.unitetheunion.org/how-we-help/listofregions/scotland/contactus/