PDA

View Full Version : First Word. Last Word.

squidge
19-Sep-14, 17:16
There are a couple of thoughts I will share and then I'm going on holiday :)

I have finally slept. And woken in a UK which remains the UK and that is ok. For me it was never about breaking up Britain.

I have woken to a country in which there will have to be change. We may not have won but by god we gave them a fright and politics in Scotland will never be the same again.

The voice of ordinary people for or against has been heard. Organisations like the BBC have been scrutinised and challenged. Newspapers have been shown for what they are, unfit for a modern informed electorate.

And so what next. I have no idea. I'm heart sore. But I'm proud. I'm proud that my children made informed decisions, I'm proud that My husband and I stood up for what we believed in and fought every step of the way for a fairer and better society for my children and yours to live in. I'm proud that we - those of us pushing for change - did it for society and not for ourselves, that we engaged with folk so much that there was dancing and singing on the streets. That Scotland had a massive turnout for an election. How utterly amazing is that?

I met some amazing people, some amazing women. Some for whom politics runs through their veins like blood and some like me who have found passion and energy in this campaign and a voice they like never before.

Thank you - you have been inspiring.

And men too, you get a mention lol. My darling husband who is passionate fair focused and loving. My darling boys who have shown they are without doubt their mother's sons. Others who despite being SNP and Yes Scotland, and if we believed the media "in charge" in some way, never bothered me, left me to it never tried to pull WFI into the fold and who's level of commitment was impressive in the extreme.

Thank you.

And for tomorrow? Westminster you need to know this - I and the 80 odd percent who voted - we are watching you. You need to show us that you meant what you said. You need to deliver on your promises.

For now, Scotland should be proud as I am proud. What a journey - it's been a blast and I wouldn't have missed it. I will remember this time my whole life.

For those who are downhearted -

The poor go hungry, but not because of us.

The sick wait in need, but not because of us.

And the world is still threatened by Nuclear war, but not because of us.

Because of us, the electorate are more engaged.

Because of us, the establishment will be scrutinised.

Because of us, our children will continue to strive for a better world.

Courtesy of the best man I know.

Take good care all of you. See you in a couple of weeks.

Xxx

sam09
19-Sep-14, 19:41
Have a great holiday with the family squidge, you deserve it.

Shaggy
20-Sep-14, 00:34
I'm more concerned about the rumbles in Westminster coming from all the MP's who simply don't want nor agree to give the stated powers that the 3 leaders agreed to let Scotland have in return for a NO vote. Likewise if UKIP Flabbage gets in he has made it clear the powers will be revoked. Skanky leopards showing their true colours now!

BetterTogether
20-Sep-14, 14:57
Dear Squidge
I sincerely hope that you have or are enjoying your holiday dependent on when you read this.
I feel it is necessary to not allow your post to go unchallenged due to a few statements you've made within.

First I would like to challenge your assertion that Independence was not about breaking up Britain, by the very nature of the campaign and the fact that the outcome you desired was for Scotland to become independent you are not in a position to deny that for two years you have campaigned with singular tenacity to break up the Union.

The Object of politics is to run the country in a manner which benefits the majority of people and wherever feasible all the people although these two missions are not necessarily always mutually agreeable and thus sometimes concessions need to be made by all parties

To claim that organisations such as the BBC and Media have been scrutinised and challenged is absurd sending a rabble to protest outside a building when questions are asked is not challenging or scrutinising it is intimidation and bullying which unfortunately became and identifying feature of the yes campaign in its closing days.

The reality is your politics have been rejected by the majority of the population of this beautiful country. The divisions you and your ilk have sown will take time to heal and the people of this country now have a long process to go through. The politics of division are never healthy in a democratic society to set one part of the community against the other is gerrymandering of the highest order, now we are hearing the anguished cries of some people from the yes campaign who aim to lay the blame solely at the feet of the elderly.
Is this the legacy which has been left us where the elderly now have to live in fear because of negative political rabble rousing by opportunists on the fringe of Politics.

Now the people of Scotland can sit back and wait whilst our duly elected representatives find a new constitutional way forward for the whole island, one where all people can feel they share in a vision of a future for everyone not just parts of society.

While all this time and money was spent on trying to split this Great Britain in two the SNP managed to hide a £400 million black hole for the health care. So to say that the poor do not go hungry the sick do not wait because of you is not exactly truthful.
If the money wasted on referendums had been ploughed into healthcare and maybe some peoples live would of benefited but as it is there is nothing but deflated egos left to show.

Like I have previously stated I hope you have enjoyed your holiday but please accept that your politics have been rejected by the majority thus is the way democracy works. Alex Salmond has done the decent thing and stood down I hope that we can now have some peace on this Org and time for healing away from the divisive politics you have attempted to inject into society.

Hoggie
21-Sep-14, 14:05
The new powers are coming and no one who makes the decisions has suggested otherwise; it is just a question of detail and practicality. To be fair to them, the powers promised to Edinburgh are not the issue: Conservatives for one aren't going to be bothered about keeping their hands on social security and NHS powers - they have done better with them than Labour ever did but they are never going to get the credit. Responsibility for these things is more trouble than it is worth. Tax powers naturally follow, as much of the tax burden grinding us down is to support those areas.

The problem issue is the West Lothian Question: if Ed Millipede gets into No 10 in May, his majority would exist only because of the red belt of the Clyde and Forth. So, if Cameron (a good Highland name) can secure "English votes for English laws" then he blows a mine in Labour's power. (Mind you, since about a quarter of the cabinet are Scots representing English constituencies, it's not exactly "English votes!)

bekisman
21-Sep-14, 22:34
Get over it Squidge.
Save the dramatics, the pitiful whinging, the sour grapes. THAT my dear was democracy in action, who are you to not accept in the right for people to state their wish in the privacy of the polling booth?

There is no perfect world, get out and look.

If the best man you knew is a failed politician, it nails the fact you DO need to get out and look!
There see I can say all that in a few lines, no real need for a tedious composition.

Rheghead
22-Sep-14, 16:14
Dear Squidge
I sincerely hope that you have or are enjoying your holiday dependent on when you read this.
I feel it is necessary to not allow your post to go unchallenged due to a few statements you've made within.

First I would like to challenge your assertion that Independence was not about breaking up Britain, by the very nature of the campaign and the fact that the outcome you desired was for Scotland to become independent you are not in a position to deny that for two years you have campaigned with singular tenacity to break up the Union.

The Object of politics is to run the country in a manner which benefits the majority of people and wherever feasible all the people although these two missions are not necessarily always mutually agreeable and thus sometimes concessions need to be made by all parties

To claim that organisations such as the BBC and Media have been scrutinised and challenged is absurd sending a rabble to protest outside a building when questions are asked is not challenging or scrutinising it is intimidation and bullying which unfortunately became and identifying feature of the yes campaign in its closing days.

The reality is your politics have been rejected by the majority of the population of this beautiful country. The divisions you and your ilk have sown will take time to heal and the people of this country now have a long process to go through. The politics of division are never healthy in a democratic society to set one part of the community against the other is gerrymandering of the highest order, now we are hearing the anguished cries of some people from the yes campaign who aim to lay the blame solely at the feet of the elderly.
Is this the legacy which has been left us where the elderly now have to live in fear because of negative political rabble rousing by opportunists on the fringe of Politics.

Now the people of Scotland can sit back and wait whilst our duly elected representatives find a new constitutional way forward for the whole island, one where all people can feel they share in a vision of a future for everyone not just parts of society.

While all this time and money was spent on trying to split this Great Britain in two the SNP managed to hide a £400 million black hole for the health care. So to say that the poor do not go hungry the sick do not wait because of you is not exactly truthful.
If the money wasted on referendums had been ploughed into healthcare and maybe some peoples live would of benefited but as it is there is nothing but deflated egos left to show.

Like I have previously stated I hope you have enjoyed your holiday but please accept that your politics have been rejected by the majority thus is the way democracy works. Alex Salmond has done the decent thing and stood down I hope that we can now have some peace on this Org and time for healing away from the divisive politics you have attempted to inject into society.

Well I think your post was the most uncharitable and hypocritical post on this forum that I have seen in a long time.

Your post was uncharitable because squidge has put 110% into this campaign and despite all the bile that has been directed at her she still keeps her dignity during her disappointment and yet you still insist on persuing her with more of your political jibes.

Your post was hypocritical because you accuse her of using divisive poltics yet look in your own back yard. Your precious UK has the support of every divisive political party that I can think of.

BNP
UKIP
Tories
Orange lodge
Britannia party

Those in glass houses...

squidge
22-Sep-14, 16:50
Get over it Squidge. Save the dramatics, the pitiful whinging, the sour grapes. THAT my dear was democracy in action, who are you to not accept in the right for people to state their wish in the privacy of the polling booth? There is no perfect world, get out and look. If the best man you knew is a failed politician, it nails the fact you DO need to get out and look! There see I can say all that in a few lines, no real need for a tedious composition.What a shedload of rubbish in that post Beks.

Nowhere did I suggest people didn't have the right to vote as they chose. Nowhere did I say that I did not accept the vote - I do absolutely. I don't think it was fudged , fiddled or rigged. I was at the count and I know how transparent it was.

You are right- there is no perfect world but there is still a better one. Waiting to be had, waiting to be demanded. The political engagement of Scots on both sides of the debate is NOT going away. And ALL of those who voted, whatever side they were on of the debate, will be watching ALL the politicians to see that they live up to our expectations.

And finally what on EARTH makes you think the best man I know is any sort of politician. Crikey you lot are obsessed. I have never seen so many huffy winners in my life. Me? I got over it on Friday. Rolled up my sleeves and went back to work. See ya around sweetie :)

bekisman
22-Sep-14, 17:04
What a shedload of rubbish in that post Beks.

Nowhere did I suggest people didn't have the right to vote as they chose. Nowhere did I say that I did not accept the vote - I do absolutely. I don't think it was fudged , fiddled or rigged. I was at the count and I know how transparent it was.

You are right- there is no perfect world but there is still a better one. Waiting to be had, waiting to be demanded. The political engagement of Scots on both sides of the debate is NOT going away. And ALL of those who voted, whatever side they were on of the debate, will be watching ALL the politicians to see that they live up to our expectations.

And finally what on EARTH makes you think the best man I know is any sort of politician. Crikey you lot are obsessed. I have never seen so many huffy winners in my life. Me? I got over it on Friday. Rolled up my sleeves and went back to work. See ya around sweetie :)
There are a couple of thoughts I will share and then I'm going on holiday" Eh? short holiday Sweetie!
"

bekisman
22-Sep-14, 17:07
A little story of total naivety.
Once upon a time there was a person that nobody liked, even their friends turned against them, friends that had even been to their house. Indeed some displayed their displeasure and dislike of this person upon the pages of a local web-based forum; to be seen by many others, who fully agreed with what they had read.
This person was not a local person, indeed he was not a Scottish person, but was English and came up from England to live and work here.
His dislike of his country knew no bounds, and indeed he mocked others with a different political persuasion with derisory comments such as "Your precious UK".
However this person - who of course shall remain nameless, had more than a passing connection with an institution that would, under the machinations of Herr Alex, be transferred to England. And, in this particular area lived many who would be affected directly by this, i.e. loosing their livelihood.
It was therefore of great surprise, nay, I say total disbelief to espy upon the main road that my good wife and I travel on, to feast our eyes upon a massive YES affixed to his property. Of course let me hasten to add that this 'precious UK' has political freedom, and anyone and everyone is permitted to display the affections of their political persuasion.

However myself, although having Scottish blood coursing through part of my body, realise that I am, after a mere 26 years a guest of this fantastic country, and although I too have my political views, there is no way on earth I would put a massive sign up sticking two fingers up to neighbours that would loose their jobs, this is not brave, but basic, hurtful, stupidity.

What happens? we drive past and see that someone has completely sprayed out the sign - this is totally wrong, but it would be naive to suggest that it was not going to happen. Afore I continue, it was not me!, I could not care a hoot what signs are erected, in actual fact I had a pro-independence sign right beside me, did it bother me? not in the slightest. It's that quiet time, standing in that booth with pen in hand, completely private, my thoughts are my own, I will not be bullied, it's then I make my choice.

We drive past again and see that this person has used white paint to conjure up his YES. Oh dear, but suppose if one is friendless, it matters not who one upsets by thoughtless actions.. will it be thus; "and everyone lived happily ever afterwards"??
THE END
N.B looks like Squidge did not go on holiday, am I to be suspended or banned now, like so many other?:confused

squidge
22-Sep-14, 17:42
There are a couple of thoughts I will share and then I'm going on holiday" Eh? short holiday Sweetie!
"Still on it - just touching base.....

bekisman
22-Sep-14, 18:56
Still on it - just touching base.....
Hope you have a great time Squidge, thanks for the policing message: "Who has rattled your cage? Been eating red meat again Beks? what on earth has Rheg done to have such a nasty mean minded post? Jeezo:roll: Go and get a cup of tea and a sit down. Or even better take a holiday - it does wonders for your mood".
Funnily enough I had a vegetarian Pindi Chana, discovered this delightful meal on one of my many travels around the world - last count 30 countries I do believe.
It's amazing how wonderfully it expands the mind, you must try it sometime Squidge. Where you off to? somewhere nice I hope. Venice is our favourite although closely followed by Tallinn, although Yellowknife can be rather chipper in the Fall.

Tea? well I'm a life-long T-total kind of chap, which is rather ironic as I note that some minutes ago it was reported that Scotch Whisky exports have dropped by some 11% - something to do with concern over the 'we will use the £' waffle I'll be bound.
Anyway must go my dear, toodle pip. Oh yes just watched some 'women for independence' telling us all that IF things don't go according to plan from Westminster, there will be another referendum! wot a neverending!! Thought we'd just done a democratic vote?

squidge
22-Sep-14, 19:12
So Beks what is the answer then? What has ANYONE done to deserve such a mean minded post? Or can't you answer the question ? - I did wonder as I told you - whether it was just a little anti English? Is it?

bekisman
22-Sep-14, 20:11
So Beks what is the answer then? What has ANYONE done to deserve such a mean minded post? Or can't you answer the question ? - I did wonder as I told you - whether it was just a little anti English? Is it?
Funny how you make assumptions my dear, 'Rheg'? who mentioned Rheg? eh?

Anti-English? I assure you madam I am not anti-English or 'anti' any other nationality, I do not hold narrow-minded Nationalist views, I am cosmopolitan, and it would do well for you to follow suite my dear.
I was born south of a Border, as I mentioned I do have Scottish blood sept, two of my children are half Scottish, I have Maclean (ex-Black Isle) daughter-in-Law, and a Maclennan daughter-in-law in Canada, BOTH pleaded with me to vote no, Salmond to quote; was an embarrassment to them.

Fortunately the man has fallen upon his sword.

So come my dear what on earth is this reference to 'red meat' what slight did you intend upon myself by this bullying? Are non-vegetarians to be castigated? to be ridiculed? to be held to be pillared for their preference? to be mocked? you have no right, we are all individuals, our opinion is our own.
As for holidays, are you not bound for furlough? as in the Book of Days 'You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!'.

Apologies to Oli Crom, but the Referendum has been completed, those words of 361 years ago, still ring true!!!
Ain't that weird?

Rheghead
22-Sep-14, 22:53

fibs with a few facts thrown in and got a total fairy story. I'm convinced he loves me. He insinuated that I disliked England but I cannot find any reference to that.

squidge
22-Sep-14, 23:42
Maybe he does at that Rheg lol and me too I think.