PDA

View Full Version : Article 19 UDHR

BetterTogether
17-Sep-14, 08:38
Good Morning
I hope you are all well on this fine morning.
I was wondering if any of you would like debate the merits of Article 19.

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Gronnuck
17-Sep-14, 08:49
Acht awa' and hud yer wheesht! ;):lol:

Shaggy
17-Sep-14, 11:28
NO. sorted, done and dusted!

PantsMAN
17-Sep-14, 15:04
Good Morning
I was wondering if any of you would like debate the merits of Article 19.
Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Yeah yeah, and here's a wee quote from the Declaration of Terms and Conditions relating to the use of this forum-

You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

So, if you don't like it, lump it!

BetterTogether
17-Sep-14, 16:33
Well interesting to note your contribution to the debate Pantsman although why you would feel the opening of a discussion was directed at any person in particular I'm not sure.
In order to add some balance to the discussion though regardless of how omnipotent you may consider the admin of any site on the internet, dependent on the country they are based in they are still bound primarily by the laws of that particular country and any international laws which may apply to them. Much as you may wish to think that a written disclaimer on any website is a coverall they are realistically not able to be held above the real laws which govern us all.

But thankyou for adding your enlightening contribution to open debate, in the spirit of free speech

You may find it interesting to read up on the Declaration of Primacy which should give you a fairly clear understanding of how such laws work and which powers over ride whom.
That is unless of course you would happen to be suggesting that Scottish law is held in supremacy to European and International Law.

PantsMAN
17-Sep-14, 17:27
Yawn
Yawn
Yawn

Oh dear, 'BetterTogether' (cute name) clearly has an extensive and profound grasp of something to do with the Law.

This extensive ability to quote statute, precedence etc. is very exciting for the rest of the mortals and we fully appreciate our ignorance and your magnificence but actually there might not be many of us who care.

I might be wrong (a state of affairs that may never trouble you), but I feel that anyone happening upon this thread may suspect that, with your carefully selected moniker and the embargo on a particular topic you are " having a laugh".

You may find, after enjoying the .org's hospitality for longer than 17 days, that the administrators of this site actually have a very 'liberal' viewpoint. That's liberal not Liberal!

In the meantime I do very much enjoy your fabulously stilted writing style and I'm sure the readers herein will relish the pearls cast before us.

Keep up the good work and I hope you enjoy being BetterTogether:rolleyes:

joxville
17-Sep-14, 18:31
You lost me at Good Morning.

Goodbye.

Tavendale
18-Sep-14, 15:51
Thing is, and people forget this, individuals and organisations also have the right to free speech in regards to their platforms. The Labour party don't have to allow a Tory onto their stage to make a statement they disagree with. A radio station don't have to allow any old rabble rouser the use of their airwaves.

People have the right to say whatever they damn well please, but platform operators have the right to allow or disallow that speech on their platform.

smithp
18-Sep-14, 17:09
Thing is, and people forget this, individuals and organisations also have the right to free speech in regards to their platforms. The Labour party don't have to allow a Tory onto their stage to make a statement they disagree with. A radio station don't have to allow any old rabble rouser the use of their airwaves.

People have the right to say whatever they damn well please, but platform operators have the right to allow or disallow that speech on their platform.

'Whistler verses Ruskin' - You don't have the right to say whatever you damn well please, this is a nonsense thread.

PantsMAN
18-Sep-14, 17:12
'Whistler verses Ruskin' - You don't have the right to say whatever you damn well please, this is a nonsense thread.

Aye, we've all fallen into the BetterTogether trap eh? ;)

barmar62
18-Sep-14, 19:02
Freedom to express an opinion on caithness.org?
Your having a laugh

( Take bets on how long your thread stays before its removed )

Neil Howie
20-Sep-14, 21:42
Tavendale replies to OP more succintly than I could.

But can I ask why a "Bettertogether" and possibly unionist view, is appealing to International and EU law, or was the question ironic?

Kevin Milkins
20-Sep-14, 22:56
I don't like politics much because I have been hoodwinked far too many times by lying politicians and successive governments that will lead us to the promise land, but business and commerce I find interesting.

I can think of reasons why being an independent trader advantageous or the merits of a partnership, also it is sometimes better for some businesses to be a limited company.

The point I am trying to make is to look at the real merits of what is bettertogether or independence and not be clouded with historical bile and patriotism. (this is my first toe in the water at discussing anything that is sensible, does this mean I am banned now?)