PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro networking query

j4bberw0ck
20-Mar-07, 19:56
In "Network Connections" I have the Local Area Connection, Internet Connection and 1394 Connection. There's also a Network Bridge. This is at the very limit of my understanding of networking so I'd appreciate a bit of guidance from someone more in the know....

The pc is my "main" pc and the broadband router is connected to it using an Ethernet cable (it's a standard BT wireless router). Two other pcs are connected by wifi to the router. IP addresses are allocated by DHCP.

I understand why I have the Local Area Connection (that's the NIC on the motherboard connected to the router).

I understand why the Internet Connection thingummy is there. That's the router.

I don't understand why the 1394 Connection is there - isn't 1394 FireWire? I have FireWire sockets on the pc, installed as a PCI card because occasionally I use an external disk. Do I need it (the Connection, not the card) or can I delete it?

Mostly I don't understand about the Network Bridge (no matter how much I read about the things) which, according to "Properties", bridges the 1394 and Local Area connections. Why, I have no idea. I think it goes back to the pre-broadband days here when I had a satellite broadband service for downstream traffic (but dialup for upstream).

Does a 1394 network connection enable networking over FireWire? :confused Can I delete the Network Bridge? I know I could just do it and see if it all works afterwards, but......

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

RIR
20-Mar-07, 22:01
Is this http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup+1/1C458082F078D7DFCA25707E003CA7EC any help?

Cheers

Ian.

j4bberw0ck
21-Mar-07, 00:08
Thanks, Ian; yes, I think it may be in that it indicates I can turn off the bridge if I'm only using Ethernet networking. It's not an issue on the wifi connected pcs. Had no idea a 1394 connexion could be used to network equipment.

Thank you again.

blueivy
26-Mar-07, 12:19
Thanks, Ian; yes, I think it may be in that it indicates I can turn off the bridge if I'm only using Ethernet networking. It's not an issue on the wifi connected pcs. Had no idea a 1394 connexion could be used to network equipment.

Thank you again.

Hi j4bberwock,

The 1394 network connection can be used to network two PC's together very fast which is why it shows up as a network connection.

When you have two network cards in your PC (in this case your normal network card and your 1394 connection) they are on separate networks (ie. have separate IP addresses - they don't have to be, but they should be for simplicity). In order to connect those two networks together you need to BRIDGE them - this is what the network bridge does. It will bridge the gap between the two networks so that the computers on the 1394 connection can talk to the computers on the other network connection and vice versa.