PDA

View Full Version : wheat free

sweetpea
20-Mar-07, 16:57
Can anyone suggest foods that are wheat free please? trying to find things in supermarket but getting confused.[disgust] not really actually sure what I should be looking for. Are rye and corn wheat free?

Liz
20-Mar-07, 19:27
Can anyone suggest foods that are wheat free please? trying to find things in supermarket but getting confused.[disgust] not really actually sure what I should be looking for. Are rye and corn wheat free?

It depends what you are looking for?
Yes Rye and Corn are wheat free as is Rice. Is it wheat free you are looking for or gluten free? Wheat free in fresh foods will be relatively easy to spot but you have to be careful in convenience foods.

A good place to shop is www.goodnessdirect.co.uk

Do you actually have a wheat allergy? It may be worth trying organic wheat products as sometimes it is the pesticides etc which are sprayed on wheat which may be the problem?

Having Crohns Disease I have been on many types of 'diet' so if you need any help just give me a shout!:lol:

With any new diet (such as Amethyst with lactose free) it can be really daunting but once you have established what you can , and can't eat, it becomes second nature.

Good luck!

sweetpea
21-Mar-07, 13:07
Hi Liz

I'm trying to adopt a wheat free diet. I'm really trying to find out which foods I can eat. It took me ages just to find wheat free pasta on the shelves. I'm not eating bread, cakes, pasta, biscuits, ready meals. I'm confused over the different breads and biscuits such as rye, corn etc For instance is Ryvita wheat free? I could do with a list of foods known by their names/makes. I'm off for a few days but I'll check out that site and get back to you.

sweetpea

Mister Squiggle
29-Mar-07, 15:34
Hiya Sweetpea
My auntie is coeliac, as are a lot of my mum's family, so they can't tolerate wheat. We found that Tescos now stock a lot of gluten-free foods, including cereals and snacks. In Wick's store, these are all in the aisle near the spreads and jams.
Rice cakes are excellent and gluten-free, but you will find Ryvita will have flour (ie the Rye flavour still has rye flour in them and buckwheat).
If you are actually wheat-intolerant, you will also have to watch stocks and sauces that are pre-made as these also tend to contain gluten.
Good luck!

veekay
29-Mar-07, 18:56
Some gluten free foods contain wheat with the gluten removed so be very careful ( it does have a proper name but I can't remember it). Read labels, shopping takes forever but you get used to it.

newlabeluk
30-Mar-07, 11:55
Here is a cake from either Turkey or Greece that my Cypriot mother-in-law makes, it is awesome.

Just remember to use the one cup/glass for all the measurements.

SHAMALI

pre-heat oven

F Gas C
375 4 190

prepare syrup

2 cups sugar
3 cups cold water
boil with a cinnamon stick
and a couple of cloves

cake

1 cup sugar
1 cup sunflower/corn oil
4 eggs beaten
3 cups semolina
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 small carton plain yoghurt(150mls=8oz)

decorate
sliced almonds

mix all the ingredients together and pour into a baking tin.10"x6" I use a roasting tin.
put sliced almonds on the top in straight lines a couple of inches
apart(portion size 4 x 5)
bake in a moderate oven for 35-45mins until golden brown and firm.
cool for approx 10mins and score into squares(2"x2")pour in the syrup
and let it settle for a while before taking out the slices.

my husband says it is better next day when the syrup has settled but.... it rarely lasts that long.
If i try to store i use large muffin cases for each square.

enjoy
luv jacquie

I posted this a long time ago