PDA

View Full Version : Subsea7

Kevin Milkins
09-Sep-14, 22:50
I have always been fascinated by the work being done at Wester since moving to Caithness. Last week I got the chance to go down to the beach launch site and get some close up pictures and talk to some of the guys that were working on the launch.

I found this link that gives a good overview of what they do and what the final product is used for.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwDP37qJNeU

I noticed after the launch was completed that the ships used to deliver the bundle stayed in the bay for almost a week, can anyone explain why that would be?

plutonio
11-Sep-14, 17:36
The bundles stays in the bay (submerged) until the vessels carry out an inspection of the bundle by ROV's to determine if the buoyancy is correct for towing to the field, they do this by either adding or remove weights.

Kevin Milkins
11-Sep-14, 17:53
Thank you for that explanation, Plutonio.

starfish
12-Sep-14, 22:35
i heard that they had hit a rock and was waiting for diving welder to correct the problem

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-14, 08:13
Thank you Starfish, I know they do sit in the bay for a couple of days to make sure all is working as it should, but when they were still there for about a week I wondered if they hit a snag. It must be heart in mouth moment for the operators.