PDA

View Full Version : Need help looking for a dog

Henrik7
20-Mar-07, 15:18
Well I've come to that time in my life where me and my partner have decided to get a dog. Maybe it's just old age catching up on me but as my son has just passed 2 we thought it was a good time.

We haven't decided what breed of dog to look out for but we would rather a small dog and a breed where it may not be too hyper or temperamental. The only thing is when it comes to the actual part of looking for a dog and knowing how much to pay for one, my knowledge is very limited. Any help on where to look and what to look out for would be gratefully appreciated.

Henrik7

grumpyhippo
20-Mar-07, 15:22
Have you thought of trying the SSPCA at Balmore. I understand that they are always looking for homes for dogs and they will be able to give you advice about the most appropriate breed and ongoing care requirements.

pat
20-Mar-07, 15:27
SSPCA - Why not try them - they will I am sure try to find a dog to suit your needs from amongst the ones they have or know requires rehoming, they will take all your needs into consideration as well as needs of the dog before considering allowing you to have one of their animals
I have two very friendly small dogs but each dog is different.

Henrik7
20-Mar-07, 15:29
We had thought about that but my partners mother had bought a labrador pup from a shelter down south and because it was abandoned they never knew much about it's history. Well as it got older they found out it was a mixed breed (mixed with a whippet) which ended up with an extremely hyper dog. It had put us off going to balmore but it would probably be worth going up and speaking to them.

Henrik7
20-Mar-07, 15:32
SSPCA - Why not try them - they will I am sure try to find a dog to suit your needs from amongst the ones they have or know requires rehoming, they will take all your needs into consideration as well as needs of the dog before considering allowing you to have one of their animals
I have two very friendly small dogs but each dog is different.

Thanks Pat that sounds like a really good idea.

henry20
20-Mar-07, 16:02
Unless you get a puppy you may never know the history of a dog. I also got a dog from balmore - he has his problems (chewed my car and house to bits when left alone) but I wouldn't be without him. Also, when he'd chewed my car it really was the final straw, so I phoned Balmore and they were more than willing to take him back. I'm not sure if I'd have gotten my money back as I never took him back in the end. At the time I got my dog, he cost about £50 and this covered the cost of him being chipped - usually about £30 at the vet, so it really is a reasonable price and for a worthy cause.

As for buying a dog, it depends what type you go for - if its a pedigree, you could pay upto £1000 depending on the breed. My sisters dog is getting very old and I've been keeping an eye on prices incase she decides to get another and recently they have been advertised at £850!! :eek:

Henrik7
20-Mar-07, 16:07
Unless you get a puppy you may never know the history of a dog. I also got a dog from balmore - he has his problems (chewed my car and house to bits when left alone) but I wouldn't be without him. Also, when he'd chewed my car it really was the final straw, so I phoned Balmore and they were more than willing to take him back. I'm not sure if I'd have gotten my money back as I never took him back in the end. At the time I got my dog, he cost about £50 and this covered the cost of him being chipped - usually about £30 at the vet, so it really is a reasonable price and for a worthy cause.

As for buying a dog, it depends what type you go for - if its a pedigree, you could pay upto £1000 depending on the breed. My sisters dog is getting very old and I've been keeping an eye on prices incase she decides to get another and recently they have been advertised at £850!! :eek:

Thanks for the advice Henry20. What kind of dog did you end up getting and how old was it?

I have looked at Scot Ads and noticed the prices are quite high for the pedigree dogs but does that make that much of a difference if it is a Pedigree?

iain
20-Mar-07, 16:15
Go to Balmore. Two of my dogs came from there and they are spot on.Ones a whippet and the other is a mongrel terrier. Jack Russels are a good choice,have had several over the years,but best get a pup,dont believe the snappy dog stories! Collies are too clever for house pets,whippets are lazy,love in front of the fire ! and dont need a lot of walking.

henry20
20-Mar-07, 16:20
Its all about personal choice - do you buy nike trainers or a cheaper alternative.

Pedigree is only important (IMO) if you are going to breed/show/work them.

My dog is a collie x staffie - not the ideal cross to be honest, but he was a stray dog in need of a loving home! He rules the roost I'm afraid - I over compensated for the lack of attention he'd had previously. He was 1 1/2 when I got him (approx - as he was a stray it was only a guide age could be given) he is now about 6 and is still as hyper as ever - but thats the collie in him.

lynne duncan
20-Mar-07, 16:30
we have a 1and a half year old cocker spaniel who has grown up with our bairns 9, 6 and 3, and we have found her to be really gentle. she loves playing football with my 6 year old and regularly has races up and down the corridor with the 3 year old. yet as soon as someone sits down she will be the first one sitting on their laps if she gets away with it
we got her from beauly

Julie Wilson
20-Mar-07, 17:11
I have a shetland collie and he is great. My parents always had shelties in the house as well when I was growing up. They are brilliant wee dogs, very good natured and very loyal.

There is a breeder in Caithness, Mrs Gillon, she lives out beside watten, her number should be in the phone book if your interested.

Or you could try calling the Vets as they often have puppies etc advertised on the noticeboard

dragonfly
20-Mar-07, 20:04
you could try this breed selector to give an idea of breeds most suitable to you

select a breed (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/select_a_breed.asp)

blondscot
21-Mar-07, 00:08
Hi
I rescued two of my dogs from balmore and although they are pedigrees i did not know their previous histories but the little bit of work they required to help them adjust was well worth it!! i also bought a pedigree springer 12 years ago and he is a lovely natured dog great with kids and other animals.
I have had crossbreeds in the past and they are great pets and always loyal. Choosing the type of dog is personal choice and whether to buy pedigree or give a needy dog a home is again personal choice but you will know the right dog for you and when you have decided which way to go, the dog or pup will normally chose you!!
I have a springer, a labrador and an old english sheepdog and they all make lovely pets! :)

Semiazas
22-Mar-07, 10:10
I've always rescued dogs as there's always the need to re-home. Sometimes they came with baggage, sometimes not. With the right approach and patience they'll realise which side their bread is buttered on and leave their old lives behind.

buggyracer
22-Mar-07, 11:17
if you have young children a puppy is the only way to go, as bringing an older dog into the house with problems could be a danger, a puppy can be taught when it is young how to behave around kids whereas with an adult you will not get this luxuary.

carasmam
22-Mar-07, 18:06
Can I just stick up for the rescue dogs here ;)
Not all rescue dogs have "problems". Many dogs find themselves in a rescue through absolutely no fault of their own. Most commonly it is a change of owners circumstances that have brought about the need to re-home a dog, or any animal for that matter.
All animal rescues take into consideration the animals background and match them to a suitable home. So for instance if a family have young children there is no way a dog that has problems with young children would be re-homed with that family, they would be matched with a dog that was suitable to family life.

Violetsky
22-Mar-07, 22:26
I would recommend Cocker Spaniels every time - perfect all round dogs - I did a lot of research prior to buying my first one and a good bit of advice I recieved was not to buy a pure black cocker if you have children - in fact reputable breeders will not sell you a black cocker if you have children. I had a blue roan for 8 years and she was the most perfect dog ever - I now have a yellow roan and he is a bit more excitable but just the perfect size of dog for having in the house.

Jo.b
22-Mar-07, 23:33
For a first time dog owner i'd go for a cute little puppy, the family can all choose together. I always remember being told that dogs are put to rescue centres for a reason! whether that be for chewing, barking,fighting,escaping,etc....But there is always a reason!

Dog-eared
23-Mar-07, 00:03
Yes, rescue dogs are often put into Balmore for a reason.

Its a pity that the reason could often be the previous owners.
Have a chat with the Balmore staff.

To make the best of any dog regardless of its origins it helps if you have some experience of dogs and understand how dogs think.
They are not toys / children / cartoon creatures.
They are pack animals who like knowing where in their heirarchy they belong. This brings them comfort and stability.
They dont necessarily want to be top dog ( over you, too ) , as that is hard work for them. They generally like to be middle of the pack (your family is their pack ) so as not to be too responsible at the top (aggressive ) or picked on at the bottom (servile).
Be firm but fair.
And have patience, which will pay off in the end.

buggyracer
23-Mar-07, 21:51
nothing against rescue dogs, but i really find it difficult that people are advising somone WITH A YOUNG CHILD to get one?

if a puppy of 7-8 weeks nips a child it will probably upset the child for five mins and be told off etc, if an adult dog nips a child you may not have five mins?

point is taking an unkown adult dog into a strange place with young kids is a big no no imho.

far better of to get a puppy and to train it to behave and grow up with the young child, if the child was older then heck yeah go for re-homing a dog, but dont mess about when young kids are involved.

jean
24-Mar-07, 00:17
I know of a beardie cross border collie pup 8 weeks old looking for a home . its a bitch has lovely blue eyes and is a blue merle more than trad black and white. pm me if you are interested. Its shepherd bred and in east sutherland.
as to cockers for info on cockers which is accurate rather than myth check out http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/

Smithy
24-Mar-07, 11:02
Someone from the vets may be able to give you some advice. The vet nurse in Wick Sharon is very knowledgable or any vet I am sure would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

linseydorman
27-Apr-07, 17:51
I have a dog going free to a good home - she is great with kids as i have a 3 year old!

phone linsey - 07704967281