PDA

View Full Version : Badminton

bigjjuk
19-Mar-07, 15:48
Anybody know who runs the club for adults in Wick. Want to start again but dont know the times,cost and location. Any help will be greatly appreciated

badger
20-Mar-07, 12:20
Don't know the answer right now but I know a man who does. Will try to find out.

badger
21-Mar-07, 12:20
Goodness that will teach me to ask questions. The answer from my friend Neil is -

Tuesday Evenings - there are two alternative venues :-
1) Wick High School - 8 to 10 pm. Cost £2 a session. 4 courts. Appears to cater for a wide range of abilities from fairly basic to County class. Ages range from late teens to mature players like me (polite way of saying getting on a bit). On the only 3 occassions I played there recently it seemed to be about 50/50 males/females. Not sure who the contact person is but I think you can just turn up and they will sort you out. Also not sure if they run in the summer months i.e. Easter to September also suspect they are not open during school holidays.

2)Wick Assembly Rooms - 8 to 9.30 pm. Cost £2 per session. This is the badminton I go to. We are an ad hoc group of about 8 people who play for pleasure without getting too serious. (I call it 'geriatric badminton' but we range in age from about 30 to 60). We play from the beginning of September until about the middle of May - but not usually at school holiday times. There is only one court and the ceiling is quite low but the 'crack' is good (especially as some of us usually go for a drink to the Black Stairs afterwards to replace all the fluids we have lost). Sheila Mather is the person who organises things - well at least she pays the court fees but I am not sure if she wants her phone number posted on Caithness.Org. but you can use mine if you wish (01955 602074) and I can pass on any message/advise as appropriate.

There is one other thing I am aware of that is Badminton coaching for youngsters. Sessions are at the Wick High School Games Hall on Wednesday Evenings from September to Easter and are split into time slots between 6 and 10 pm depending on age and ability. I think annual membership is £2 or £3 and session fees £1. The contact is Patti Coghall on 01955 602456.