PDA

View Full Version : Hotel at John O' Groats

mike.mckenzie
18-Apr-05, 12:10
When did the hotel at J o G close? Is it just being left to rot? Seems like a decent investment potentially,if it was done properly. Shame to see.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
18-Apr-05, 15:11
it's still a pub , i was there for pizza last night- best pizzas in the county like!!

its owned by the same guy that has everything down at lands end, just a matter of time i think before he does it up -keeps saying that anyway but it doesnt seem to be going anywhere!!

katarina
18-Apr-05, 20:39
It was once a lovely hotel with wonderful meals and a great place for afternoon tea. We used go there often. In winter they used to give you free b&b if you had a meal the night before and wanted to stay for a drink. It's so sad to see it like that. It could be such a tourist attraction.

~~Tides~~
18-Apr-05, 21:50
All we need is a gobby southener to come up and do it up. Lets cross our fingers.

katarina
19-Apr-05, 08:22
What's wrong with a gobby local? Maybe we need a few of those. How about you tides? You sound young and upcoming. After all, anyone who claims to live on Stroma can't be all bad!

saffy100
19-Apr-05, 10:43
:roll: actually i think its owned by a gobby American, and the place is falling down, all the roof is rotten and needs replacing and so are the floors, if they don't do something with it soon it will decide for inself and fall down, it's a bl**dy crime, such a beautiful building but i think its not far off being past repair and i suspect that is the next reason the wally will use for an excuse why he's not doing anything with it as its obviously a tax fiddle...the locals and the local government should put pressure on him to do something about it....incidently i'm a gobby middlander and i care about the area and think it's criminal how these lovely buildings are being bought up by wealthy people and left to rack and ruin.
:D

19-Apr-05, 14:23
???? there is a hotel at John O'Groats - it's called the Seaview - and I was in it a couple of weeks ago. Looked to be pretty busy to me and obviously a very convivial establishment indeed....:D

If you're meaning " 'e bottom place" then I have to agree with other comments made - it's being allowed to go to ruin and isn't really the attraction that it was at one time. Perhaps some form of intervention is required to make the venue worthy of its world famous name ??
But if there isn't the turnover then it isn't viable...... and thus perhaps a tax-loss scam ??

katarina
19-Apr-05, 14:26
:roll: ....incidently i'm a gobby middlander and i care about the area and think it's criminal how these lovely buildings are being bought up by wealthy people and left to rack and ruin.
:D

I agree. The council really should have more power to force action. Mind you the last time they put a compulsory order on a building (Bilbster house) it burnt down a week later.

~~Tides~~
19-Apr-05, 14:38
What a great tourist oppertunity we are missing here, I mean it would be something to 'do the john o groats hotel'. Its not as if its in an obscure part of the county!

mike.mckenzie
19-Apr-05, 16:14
Its on all your pictures you ever take of the place, its on postcards and is the first thing you see when you come in to the famous John O Groats area, surely, as a tourist orientated area, Caithness can't afford to let it go the way of the Pavilion cinema in Wick.

It was my girlfriend who was asking me about the place when we were last up, I remembered going in there when I was little and really hadn't noticed it closed up until she said.

Anyway, 3 words...

COMPULSORY PURCHASE ORDER!!!

sandy01
20-Apr-05, 10:34
The coucil should cancel its bar licence, until something is done to it.
How about the money that was granted for the audio visual development of the old shop, open'd for one year, then shut.

2little2late
20-Apr-05, 14:31
All we need is a gobby southener to come up and do it up. Lets cross our fingers.

Here we go again. [mad] [mad] . Why don't you get off your high horse? Or better still take a run and jump off Dunnet head.

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Apr-05, 14:39
As silly as that comment was "gobby southeners" it's these gobbies who make up a good chunk of the local councils. Go along to the next meeting and ask them where they all originally come from. You might suprise yourself.