PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Election Poll

Rheghead
18-Apr-05, 11:26
Not all the parties here will be represented in Caithness never the less I thought I would include them.

SandTiger
18-Apr-05, 12:08
Would it be worth adding "abstain"?

Rheghead
18-Apr-05, 12:13
I am cannot edit a poll after i have posted it except the title, anyway democracy does not work that way, we are not going to get a PM who is a leader of the Abstention party.

My personal opinion is that everyone eligible to vote should do so or stand themselves.

SandTiger
18-Apr-05, 12:29
According to phpbb you can edit polls - How do I edit or delete a poll?
As with posts, polls can only be edited by the original poster, a moderator, or board administrator. To edit a poll, click the first post in the topic, which always has the poll associated with it. If no one has cast a vote then users can delete the poll or edit any poll option. However, if people have already placed votes only moderators or administrators can edit or delete it; this is to prevent people rigging polls by changing options mid-way through a poll

I just thought the addition may make for a more rounded poll. For all I know there may be a wide and thrieving community of Anarchists within Caithness :eek: :lol:

Rheghead
18-Apr-05, 12:33
Sorry i can't edit it as votes have already been cast.

SandTiger
18-Apr-05, 12:43
Fair enuff - I forgot that you have to vote on a phpbb poll before you can see other votes so it appeared as if no votes had been cast - Since the Natural Law Party is no longer a registered as a political party I shall vote for them and have a look :)

squidge
18-Apr-05, 13:11
For all I know there may be a wide and thrieving community of Anarchists within Caithness :eek: :lol:

I had to look at that closely - i wasnt sure if you meant thriving or theiving [lol]

SandTiger
18-Apr-05, 13:15
:lol: :Razz

scotsboy
18-Apr-05, 13:29
I have been watching some of the election campaign news coverage via Sky News. Is it just me or does every Labour representative (with the exception of Gordon Brown) appear to be condescending, patronizing and totally unaware of public perception? They get asked a question and then tell the people what is best for them, and back this up by saying this is what people want………yet when people on the streets are asked they never agree.
I have to register my membership as a fully paid up member of the Anti-Blair brigade, but John Reid has taken over as my prime target of abuse. In fact whenever he comes on the screen now the wife has to change the channel for fear of having to buy a new TV.
Unfortunately my registration slip arrived after the deadline and I will be unable to vote this time around, if I had been able I certainly would not be voting labour.

Rheghead
21-Apr-05, 23:34
What do the SNP stand for? and what are their policies? We all know independence from the rest of the UK would be unworkable so why vote for them?

kwbrown111
21-Apr-05, 23:56
Labour

Zael
22-Apr-05, 08:44
We all know independence from the rest of the UK would be unworkable so why vote for them?
Do we indeed? You sound like a labour candidate in the making, telling us what we know and what is good for us. If we, the current majority in this poll, decide that independence is best then you'll just have to live with that won't you. AFAIK the majority vote wins the election. And you can argue about any issues you like, but the only one that is of interest to me in independence, once we have that then I'll be voting for an independent MSP, none of the parties, including the SNP, represent my views.

jjc
22-Apr-05, 11:11
Fair enuff - I forgot that you have to vote on a phpbb poll before you can see other votes so it appeared as if no votes had been cast - Since the Natural Law Party is no longer a registered as a political party I shall vote for them and have a look :)
Chalk me up for Natural Law too...

... :eek: ...

Okay, so who voted for the BNP? [disgust]

scotsboy
22-Apr-05, 11:27
Me - its my democratic right......why :lol:

jjc
22-Apr-05, 13:21
Oh, no particular reason... not sure I'd want to admit to voting for a party that's leadership is currently on bail, awaiting trial for race-hate crimes though. :eek:

22-Apr-05, 13:47
I had a listen to the BNP campaign on the radio yesterday (I think it was yesterday).
I was initially going to switch it off, but decided to listen to it as it would only be a couple of minutes anyway.
What was presented was a logical argument on why we should not accept or put up with racial abuse - remember that it goes both ways . I've dealt with abusive people from all sections of the community in the UK and have no issues with what the BNP are presenting currently.

If they were represented locally I would give them due consideration, as is my democratic right. :D

All parties have extremists - one of the national newspapers presented some soundbites from the Conservative candidates and it makes them look like morons..... :lol:
By the same token I'll accept that there are some morons in the BNP, as well as all of the political parties.

Nothing new in taking the law into your own hands to push your political opinion....... didn't the worlds greatest living statesman Nelson Mandela do just that ?

DrSzin
22-Apr-05, 15:48
I missed the beginning of the BNP's Election Broadcast on TV last night, so I didn't know what I was watching. However, I think I saw most of it.

I thought it made the BNP look so ridiculous that I was pretty sure I was watching an anti-BNP tirade from some other party: perhaps a rubbishing of the BNP by the Conservatives. I was astounded when the credits announced that it was an election broadcast on behalf of the BNP!

jjc
22-Apr-05, 17:32
I've dealt with abusive people from all sections of the community in the UK and have no issues with what the BNP are presenting currently.
I was talking about this on another board not so long ago and came to the conclusion that the BNP enjoy the support of two distinct types of person:

There are the 'true' supporters who believe that to be British is to be a white Christian and that anybody not falling within the confines of that definition is, in one way or another, inferior.

Then there are those who see the slick new suits and aggrieved expressions worn by the likes of Griffin as they proudly proclaim that all they want to do is 'discuss' multiculturalism and are fooled into believe that all the BNP needed to do to clean up its act was to claim to have cut its ties with the National Front (whilst openly hosting a dinner in honour of Le Penn!!).

I have no qualms at all in stating that I believe the former to be ignorant racists and the latter to be crassly gullible.

You say that you have 'no issues' with BNP policy? It is BNP policy to bar "all further non-white immigration" and to resettle all non-whites currently in Britain to "their lands of ethnic origin".

Are you sure you have no issues with BNP policies?

scotsboy
22-Apr-05, 17:35
I see a surge in the BNP vote :lol:

Actually I couldn't decide whether to vote for them or the SNP, both sides of the same coin really.

Rheghead
22-Apr-05, 18:57
I see a surge in the BNP vote :lol:

Actually I couldn't decide whether to vote for them or the SNP, both sides of the same coin really.

I cannot understand your last comment, are the SNP racist as well?

I asked earlier, why should I vote SNP? and I have not received a satisfactory answer yet except for independence. Are they just a one policy party like Goldsmith's Referendum Party in 1997?

Lets assume SNP get full independence, what next? Scotland has not got any oil, coal, fishing, food self sufficiency, naval self-defence, etc etc etc

It has got 5 million inhabitants that will have to support an infrastructure for an area ~50% the size of England.

Hmmm, I can see that working?! :roll: [cynicism intended]

scotsboy
22-Apr-05, 20:14
I see the BNP as being racist just like the SNP - their whole ethos is about being anti-English.

I still have yet to hear an expalation of the conundrum an Independent Scotland in Europe :confused

Drutt
22-Apr-05, 23:13
It is BNP policy to bar "all further non-white immigration" and to resettle all non-whites currently in Britain to "their lands of ethnic origin".?

Hardly, unless the SNP is having secret policy meetings to agree the forcible ejection of all non-Scots upon gaining independence. If that were to happen, I'd gladly emigrate.

scotsboy
23-Apr-05, 04:46
Its all about opinions and my opinion is that the SNP are racist to the core.

gleeber
23-Apr-05, 08:12
Although I agree completely with jjcs post regarding the BNP and its supporters I also think Scotsboy has a valid issue regarding the nationalism of the SNP.
Most of us are aware that we do have an inner prejudice towards certain cultures or people or religions or even poor humble popes.
Thats what worries me about the SNP. Their brand of politics plays on something other than politics. Its not racism like the BNP voting supporters vote for, but its certainly a divisive brand of us and them politics based on nationalism.
Scotland is full of Scottish people who poke fun at the English and I personally think that that culture is something less funny and much deeper than we Scots would be prepared to admit. Mind you, the same thing happens in Wales and Ireland and I am sure in most other countries towards their nieghbours.
It happens in Caithness between Thurso and Wick. Even within these 2 towns it happens between different areas. When I was a kid it was the Gleebers against Shore street and when Dounreay came it was everybody against the Atomicers.
That being said its both ignorant and insulting to compare the SNP with the BNP.

scotsboy
23-Apr-05, 09:01
Why "ignorant and insulting" :confused

I am sorry but I actually find the SNP alluded racism more distasteful than the BNP's in your face stuff (it should be said that I would vote for neither by the way).

gleeber
23-Apr-05, 10:44
Why "ignorant and insulting" :confused

I am sorry but I actually find the SNP alluded racism more distasteful than the BNP's in your face stuff (it should be said that I would vote for neither by the way).

I thought I explained what I understand about the ethos of the SNP as compared to the marked racist policies of the BNP.
Its ignorant to compare them because the SNP is a bona fide democratic party seeking Scottish independance within the structures of a European Union. The SNP embraces all cultures and skin colours within that union as well as within its own borders.
Its insulting because many of the forementioned cultures and skin colours (English included) living in Scotland will also support the idea of an independant Scotland within Europe.
The SNP does not see culture or skin colour as a determining factor in a persons right to live at peace in the country of their birth or for that matter their adopted country.
In fact I would have thought that anyone with half a brain could spot the difference between the SNP and the BNP so I am bemused by your apparent defence of Griffin and his pinstriped, union flag waving thugs who are as psychologically aware of other peoples needs as a cat in a pigeon loft. :confused
PS I am not a nationalist

gleeber
23-Apr-05, 10:57
I have a feeling Scotsboy is on a fishing expidition and he has manged to hook me. His earlier posts bare no resemblance to the racist moronic values of the BNP and its supportes. However I notice someone else voted for the BNP in the poll.
I wonder who?

scotsboy
23-Apr-05, 11:09
:eyes ;) :lol: I want a Zieg Heil emoticon :lol: