PDA

View Full Version : should huntley spend the rest of his life in prison....

justine
18-Mar-07, 16:20
I have been watching the news and apart from the stabbings and assaults by and on teenagers the main subject is whether the soham murderer Ian Huntley should emain in prison for the rest of his life...I agree, there are certain prisoners who should not be allowed to walk again and child killers have to be the worst.....Adults who befriend then kill children or abuse their position to hurt kids should remain where they are put....IMHO people like that should be put to death or if not that then atleast castration.....Can we have some opinions on this, im curious....[disgust]

connieb19
18-Mar-07, 16:26
I think YES, he should spend the rest of his life in prison.

danc1ngwitch
18-Mar-07, 16:35
I am not one to judge, but 2 young and very beautiful lives were taken.

pat
18-Mar-07, 17:04
Unable to judge either - we only know what press like us to know. I am not a psychiatrist, judge or jury.

How has this person changed since imprisonment?

Has he learnt lessons?

If he is deemed to have changed and learnt lessons is he to spend all his life in prison?

If he was your family I am sure you would you want him to be released if he was deemed as having done his time and mental attitude altered.

Royster1911
18-Mar-07, 17:12
Unable to judge either - we only know what press like us to know. I am not a psychiatrist, judge or jury.

Has he learnt lessons?

If he is deemed to have changed and learnt lessons is he to spend all his life in prison?

If he was your family I am sure you would you want him to be released if he was deemed as having done his time and mental attitude altered.

Sorry, but if he were related to me I would NOT want him released. Even after they have served their time, it has been proven that these people soon revert to their old ways.

lasher
18-Mar-07, 17:21
I have been watching the news and apart from the stabbings and assaults by and on teenagers the main subject is whether the soham murderer Ian Huntley should emain in prison for the rest of his life...I agree, there are certain prisoners who should not be allowed to walk again and child killers have to be the worst.....Adults who befriend then kill children or abuse their position to hurt kids should remain where they are put....IMHO people like that should be put to death or if not that then atleast castration.....Can we have some opinions on this, im curious....[disgust]
He shud be shot!

Alice in Blunderland
18-Mar-07, 17:27
I dont believe in second chances for this person. He did what he did and now has to pay the price and thats just tough on him if he has turned a new leaf or not .

There will be no second chance for his victims or their family so why should he get one.

If he were ever released how would you feel if you had him as a neighbour especially if you had children ?

In this case life should mean life.. call me heartless but I have kids and so help me, if he had done this to one of my children I would be gutted if he were ever given a second chance.

cuddlepop
18-Mar-07, 17:35
Anyone who commits the type of crime such as this one does not deserve any second chances.:( Life should mean life.

pat
18-Mar-07, 17:36
Unable to judge - if a drunk driver gets in a car, "accidentally" kills folk should they also serve their life in prison - they went in a killing machine whilst not of sound mind and killed.

The drunk driver - the person has had time to drink, know their judgement is affected, know they are in charge of a vehicle which can kill, know they stand a good chance of being involved in an accident - is that a premeditated crime?

Some of the drunk drivers get a few hundred pound fine or a couple of months ban - the crime is much the same so where do you draw the line?
They have both done premeditated murder as far as I can judge so why sentence differently?

Angela
18-Mar-07, 17:37
life[/B] should mean life.. call me heartless but I have kids and so help me, if he had done this to one of my children I would be gutted if he were ever given a second chance.

I agree with alice - maybe it's just my immediate emotional reaction as a mum and I can't think beyond that.

I don't know the man or what his state of mind is, but to me his crimes were unforgivable.

justine
18-Mar-07, 17:41
its good to see peple agreeing with this.....I was half expecting someone to say he has a human right to life, but in my eyes he is not human......I dont think you can rehabilitate any one like huntly.....so we let him rot.....he should not be allowed to live, he took that away from two young girls who thought they had a friend...

justine
18-Mar-07, 17:45
Unable to judge - if a drunk driver gets in a car, "accidentally" kills folk should they also serve their life in prison - they went in a killing machine whilst not of sound mind and killed.

The drunk driver - the person has had time to drink, know their judgement is affected, know they are in charge of a vehicle which can kill, know they stand a good chance of being involved in an accident - is that a premeditated crime?

Some of the drunk drivers get a few hundred pound fine or a couple of months ban - the crime is much the same so where do you draw the line?
They have both done premeditated murder as far as I can judge so why sentence differently?

i have to sayt hat i think a lot of differences between them......A drunk driver who accidently kills , may have known what could happen with their judgemnts being impaired, but they do not go out and kill, it was not the intent........
Ian huntley intended to kill.....he took them, killed them dumped them in woods, burnt their clothing and lied to the police....Do i need to say more.....:roll:

nicnak
18-Mar-07, 18:18
first of all I think that all child killers and abusers should be put to death, but that is my personal opinion . As for the suggestion of castration this has been tried more or less in America (chemical castration) and it is shown not to work, all this does is take away the ability to rape it doesnt take away the thoughts or wants, and what has happened is that the offenders reoffend on a very high rate but use other things rather than their bodies and 9/10 will kill their victim as they have learn't that to leave them alive only ends up with them getting caught, so really we have the choice of let the tax payers pay for them to live their lives in relative luxury or get rid of them!

KCI
18-Mar-07, 18:28
In most cases, I believe in giving people a second chance.

But when kids are involved, I'm afraid I just can't hold that belief. Our children are precious, and always will be. As a mother, if this had happened to my child, I would fight to keep him in prison, so that no-one else would be hurt.

Whitewater
18-Mar-07, 19:39
No. He should be shot.

johno
18-Mar-07, 19:46
He shud be shot!

agreed ,shooting him is cheaper than hanging . [disgust]

mary
18-Mar-07, 20:10
As a Mum and Grandmother I agree 100% with Alice.
He should remain in Prison, life should mean life.

obiron
18-Mar-07, 20:17
he should be in the nick for life.

Dusty
18-Mar-07, 20:18
In 2004, the average cost of imposing a prison sentence at a Crown Court was apparently approximately £30,500. The cost of keeping prisoners in prison was quoted as being averaged at £37,500 per year.
Huntly will probably cost more than this to keep in prison due to the special watch on him and his trial was probably more expensive too.
At the 2004 costs above, if he lives to the alloted four score years and ten, then his bill for imprisonment will come to around £1.2 million.
Is it justice for a child murderer to continue to cost society in this way? Should they be executed or should we let them go after they have learned their lesson (like Myra Hindley claimed she had learned hers)?
Maybe Huntly should be thrown to the women at a pay per view event in Wembly Stadium to recoup some of the money already expended on him.
I wish I was wise enough to provide even a clue to the direction where an answer might be found.
My gut reaction is that he and his like should be executed but that is an emotive rather than objective viewpoint.

x-baby-faced-angel-x
18-Mar-07, 21:52
Whats to stop him doing it again? He could wear a false face to get out of prison then attack other girls. I wouldnt want to be responsible for that. He should be in for LIFE.

darkman
18-Mar-07, 22:44

Has he learnt lessons?

He is the scum of the earth and should at the least rot in jail for the rest of his miserable life or preferably be put to death.
Has he learned lessons? Not to befriend children and use their trust to make it easier to murder them, give me strength!
I personally couldn't give a damn what his family wanted, I would still have him executed.[evil]

Woolie
18-Mar-07, 23:24
He shud be shot!
I agree he took two lives he is nothing but scum not worth being kept in prison he shouild have his live taken the way he took holly and jesscias.

the charlatans
18-Mar-07, 23:38
i think he should be shot.

lest we forget them two bairns eh. bless em.

Kaishowing
18-Mar-07, 23:43
Ending his life would be the easy option.....What would that cost him? A couple of months of waiting after his final appeal was denied, then depending of means of execution an instant or moments of pain and then oblivion.

I'd much rather know that every new day he looks out his cell and knows that there's no chance of freedom for him ever again.
Personally I hope that he lives a nice long life behind bars knowing that he'll never have another breath of fresh air again in his life....Even on his deathbed he'll still be in prison.
That seems like more of a punishment to me.

Aside from the religious implications ('vengence is mine' etc) there's been proof that there have been mistaken executions in the past. As long as the law is enforced by humans, there's the chance of human error...and we all know there have been miscarriages of justice. What if these innocents had already been executed?

As for 'execution is a deterrant for the criminals' agrument....well, look at America and the states that have the death penalty...There's been no reduction in crime there.

Where I think the justice system makes mistakes is the way that sentencing is handed down. The convicted when told they'll get life for something means that they get life, not paroled and back on the streets after 8 years.
Plus prisons should use convicts for cheap labour, get them to take some of the burden away from the taxpayers.
Rant over.

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-07, 00:05
Like all child killers he should never have been put in prison..........should have been given a death penalty. £30+K a year to keep in prison x ??? think how much that would save us tax payers.

j4bberw0ck
19-Mar-07, 00:20
If it's just about tax savings, wouldn't it be better to start at the other end of the scale and keep several thousand low grade offenders out of jail, perhaps by birching them instead?

As to the death penalty, part of me thinks it'd be a just end. But most of me thinks that one could legitimately support the death sentence if, and only if, you had so much faith in the State that you wouldn't protest if your child or spouse or partner was arrested for murder and sentenced to death. More than that, you wouldn't protest even if you truly believed them completely innocent.

If you trust the State more than your own belief in their innocence, and more than your love for them, then you're entitled to believe the death penalty is legitimate.

If you can't do that then you must reject it. Because the State has been wrong many times before.

I do agree though that criminals should be put to work.......

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-07, 00:32
If it's just about tax savings, wouldn't it be better to start at the other end of the scale and keep several thousand low grade offenders out of jail, perhaps by birching them instead?

As to the death penalty, part of me thinks it'd be a just end. But most of me thinks that one could legitimately support the death sentence if, and only if, you had so much faith in the State that you wouldn't protest if your child or spouse or partner was arrested for murder and sentenced to death. More than that, you wouldn't protest even if you truly believed them completely innocent.

If you trust the State more than your own belief in their innocence, and more than your love for them, then you're entitled to believe the death penalty is legitimate.

If you can't do that then you must reject it. Because the State has been wrong many times before.

I do agree though that criminals should be put to work.......

Yeah, know where you are coming from about the state sometimes getting it wrong.

But in cases where there is no doubt (and Huntly is one of them) I think the death penalty is a just end.

Naefearjustbeer
19-Mar-07, 01:06
I quite often say bring back the death penalty for many crimes and his is one that I would think was deserving of it. However as Kaishowing says ending his life is an easy option, maybe the fact that he new he would never be a free man again would be a better punishment for his crime. As a father if someone ever did anything to harm my girls I would be out for blood. As an outsider on the case it is easyer to have a more objective view. But I still think I would sway towards the death penalty. One thing I do feel is that prison life is made too easy for many crims. If some of the goverment cutbacks were streamlined to the prison service and jail time was harder maybe I would be happyer to see some folk locked up than hung.

JAWS
19-Mar-07, 01:09
More to the point, why should Huntley not spend the rest of his life in Prison?

cuddlepop
19-Mar-07, 11:36
More to the point, why should Huntley not spend the rest of his life in Prison?
I think the silence after your comment Jaws answers that question.

crashbandicoot1979
19-Mar-07, 12:06
Like all child killers he should never have been put in prison..........should have been given a death penalty. £30+K a year to keep in prison x ??? think how much that would save us tax payers.

True, but then if they took away a lot of his privileges then surely that would lower his bill a bit. i.e. take away his playstation, sky TV and other mod cons, and his 24 hour protection that prevents other inmates having a go at him. But of course if they did that, the do-gooders would get in a whip about human rights, wouldn't they? :confused

Blazing Sporrans
19-Mar-07, 12:30
I'd much rather know that every new day he looks out his cell and knows that there's no chance of freedom for him ever again.
Personally I hope that he lives a nice long life behind bars knowing that he'll never have another breath of fresh air again in his life....Even on his deathbed he'll still be in prison.
That seems like more of a punishment to me.
I couldn't agree more.

big red
19-Mar-07, 13:19
I agree with you nicnak, castration does not work. He should stay in prison till he dies. LIFE should mean LIFE for him. Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman are gone. They lost their lives to him. He has to pay for that. Ian Brady is wanting to die, he fights to have the right to stop them force feeding him.Well since that is what he wants,I DON'T THINK HE SHOULD GET IT. Make him live.I say. His victims did'nt choose to die, that was forced upon them. For child killers Life should mean Life. (personally i would bring back hanging)

The Angel Of Death
19-Mar-07, 13:19
How about we go down the Australian route again maybe with the isle of white or stroma ???

Put all dangerous crims and lifers there and maybe in a couple of hundred years they will all be a better civilization for it ???

justine
19-Mar-07, 15:11
I agree with you all..I think he should be castrated without anaesthetic, then shot, but not killed then given to mothers at wembly stadium.....I certainly would not want you all to put your taxes on keeping someone in the nick for the minimum term of life which is 26 yrs i think, or in the huntly case 20yrs for each child gaining a minimum of 40 yrs....He will be out and you would have put your taxes to keeping him safe and warm for forty yrs and then what, he wont be able to get a job so he will get benefit, so in the long run it is costing people a fortune..You pay all that money and then they let him go...There is no justice.....Put him to death..He deserves not to live....[evil] :cool:

percy toboggan
19-Mar-07, 20:24
He should have been despatched into oblivion - or to the gates of hell - depending on your belief system as soon as he was convicted.

He has denied two little girls their right to life for his own perverted reasons which means he forfeits his own right to live.

It should be done cleanly, and quickly with a minimum of fuss and no macabre gloating or public theatre.

horseman
19-Mar-07, 20:40
Yes,prison for ever.

bingo1
19-Mar-07, 20:53
God sits high and looks low!! He will pay for his crimes in the end and he should stay in prison for life!!!

North Rhins
19-Mar-07, 22:17
Huntly. Brady, Hindley et al should all have swung from the end of eight feet of the finest hemp. The first political party that has the spherical objects to include a referendum on capital punishment in their manifesto would get my vote. But hang on a minute, what about the tragic case of Sally Clark. Convicted of two counts of murder of her own children. A more heinous crime could not have been committed. The most up to date forensic science, together with an ‘expert’ witness was used to prove beyond all shadow of a doubt that she was guilty. Had capital punishment been an option to the Judge, then she would have hanged. Every one would have rejoiced that justice had been done, the only problem being that she was in fact innocent.
Perhaps a more suitable ‘punishment’ for all the murders, rapists, sex offenders, paedophiles etc would be to remove them from the relatively safe haven of prison segregation. Make them live amongst other prisoners and make them fend for themselves. They were the predators in civilised society, let them find out what it’s like to be the prey in a prison society.

lin
19-Mar-07, 23:39
Life should mean life. No privileges. Death is such an easy option.

JimH
20-Mar-07, 01:08
He took away two young lives.
What right has he to life anywhere.
Unfortunately we are a civilised nation, so they tell me, (though I often wonder). or we could have fed him to a Mothers disposal squad.
He should be Hung, Drawn and quartered, in public.
then fed to something or other.

saxovtr
20-Mar-07, 11:00
i say kill him

justine
21-Mar-07, 11:53
well reading the news this morning, even his parents have asked for him to stay in prison for life.....They say that they do not understand why their son did this, and they say that they could never begin to forgive.....

The judge Moses says that when he imposed the sentence 18 mths ago he was gonna set a permant life order but could not as it had never been proven that he planned the kidnapping and murder......He may not have planned it when he woke up, but in my eyes he did the minute he saw the two girls.....He should never be let out but i think in forty years he will be........I hope not but then we will have to wait and see.....

JAWS
21-Mar-07, 14:57
I have a great deal of sympathy for his parents. They have done nothing wrong but never the less must be suffering a great deal of guilt simply because he is their son.

Seeing Capital Punishment is not considered quite acceptable then the sentence of Life Imprisonment should mean exactly that.
It should then be up to the Defence to show if there are any very exceptional circumstances why their client should serve a term of imprisonment of shorter duration.
Where more than one person is involved in the same incident and one of them commits a murder and they are found to be involved then all should receive a Life Sentence.

justine
21-Mar-07, 15:02
As some of you might know i am a mother and i would stand by my kids no matter what, except for something like this..I would feel the guilt as i would wonder where did i go wrong....I could never forget or forgive.......I would hope that they kept them locked up until their lives were over...Which is a lot longer than the two young girls had.....

Tiger Jones
23-Mar-07, 12:44
I've been asked, by someone who is currently unable to post here, to put up the following link...

www.vialls.com/transpositions/neuroleptic.html (http://www.vialls.com/transpositions/neuroleptic.html)

johno
23-Mar-07, 14:33
i say kill him

hi saxovtr, u dont pull yer punches do ya. still i agree wi u ,hanging is to easy for him
[disgust] [evil]