PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Therapies/Mindfulness

Talisker
24-Aug-14, 20:37
Does anyone have any insight into practitioners of the above in the N. Highlands and personal insight into the effectiveness of these practices?

Any info gladly welcomed...

budgeJ
24-Aug-14, 21:29
Does anyone have any insight into practitioners of the above in the N. Highlands and personal insight into the effectiveness of these practices?

Any info gladly welcomed...

A load of mumbo jumbo for people who need to just get out of bed in the morning and get on with life in all its wonder, good and bad, like the rest of us.

DMFB
24-Aug-14, 21:46
Brian Lamb Thurso is the only person I know around here who practices alternative therapies try calling hom to see if he can help or recommend someone.He helped me a long time ago with back trouble.I dont know if he is still working but I am sure you can find him in the phone book.

squidge
24-Aug-14, 23:10
We had a healing sound bath in Wick a couple of months ago as part of an event I organised. We had someone who was visiting the area for a few days come in to do it and it was absolutely wonderful. A fabulous aid to relaxation and the people who chose to take part thought it was fabulous. A really lovely, relaxing and calming way to spend 40 minutes or so.

Dog-eared
24-Aug-14, 23:53
What is a healing sound bath ?

scorrie
25-Aug-14, 05:26
There is probably no scientific evidence behind most of the "alternative" therapies but the power of the Placebo has been proven in scientific tests where half the patients had surgery, while the others were only led to believe they had had surgery. People from both groups felt better long term, despite nothing other than the belief they had undergone an operation in some cases.

It's not something I would go for but if you have treatment you enjoy undergoing and feel better for it, I wouldn't worry too much about the science, because the power of suggestion has been proven to work for many people.

Talisker
25-Aug-14, 07:41
thanks for info....I shall check out said lad in Thurso.

Interesting that some have a 'closed' mind agenda....each to their own but seems narrow minded to 'diss' alternative thinking and approaches when you have (most probably) not explored yourself. Never follow the mainstream and judge things after you yourself have experienced.

squidge
25-Aug-14, 08:09
It's about using sound to help reduce stress and help with relaxation. Sound as opposed to music - so Indian type sound and didgeridoo sound for example. I have utterly no opinion on its efficacy as a "treatment" for anything but it was absolutely lovely :)

budgeJ
25-Aug-14, 13:48
Interesting that some have a 'closed' mind agenda....each to their own but seems narrow minded to 'diss' alternative thinking and approaches when you have (most probably) not explored yourself. Never follow the mainstream and judge things after you yourself have experienced.You asked for people's experiences. If the views you get back are not all in line with your own then don't be so surprised or take the hump. Did you genuinely wanted people's input, or just gratification of your own views?

scorrie
25-Aug-14, 17:07
A load of mumbo jumbo for people who need to just get out of bed in the morning and get on with life in all its wonder, good and bad, like the rest of us.

You could be right and it is a load of mumbo jumbo. However, it doesn't sound like you understand the vast differences between individual human beings. The old British stiff upper lip and getting on with it attitude might work for some people but it doesn't work for everybody by any stretch of the imagination.

The way the human brain is wired, allows for a certain amount of natural depression. If it were not so the human being would have a falsely, happy go lucky nature where the world was all sweetness and light. It is natural that we experience times of both euphoria and deep sadness.

We are all born with different levels of happiness and sadness built in. Your genetics and the way you are brought up will instil different levels of intelligence and shape different personalities and attitudes towards your existence. Some people are as happy as larry with very little, while others seeks a bigger goal and never find happiness with all the millions of pounds they earn along the way.

Robin Williams is a tragic reminder that happiness can be hard to obtain and it's a bit harsh to think of having told him to get a grip of himself, get out of bed and "Get on with it"

budgeJ
25-Aug-14, 17:28
Robin Williams is a tragic reminder that happiness can be hard to obtain and it's a bit harsh to think of having told him to get a grip of himself, get out of bed and "Get on with it"

Robin Williams was a drug addict and alcoholic. I would wager that those elements paid a greater part in his mood than just having a bad day.

scorrie
25-Aug-14, 17:59
Robin Williams was a drug addict and alcoholic. I would wager that those elements paid a greater part in his mood than just having a bad day.

I think you will find that depression leads people to drink and drugs, not the other way round.

I find it sad that you summarise Robin Williams' plight as "a bad day"

Talisker
25-Aug-14, 19:38
Eek... I am not sure how to 'quote' budgeJ, but firstly I made a typo and meant to say in my original post - insight into THEIR effectiveness.

Nonetheless, I am open minded and people can do and say as they please, but as scorrie so rightly said, it is not so super fine to be being judgemental about the thinking and (potential) suffering of others. I find that alt. therapies are more about getting to the root of the ailment, rather than masking the symptom. Mind and body are so intertwined....western medicine has sought to diminish the 'alternative' viewpoint as it cannot not generate the huge profits that the pharmaceutical companies need.