PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

ks
18-Mar-07, 01:13
Thinking about getting digital camera and was wondering if anyone can recommend one or brand to go for?

MadPict
18-Mar-07, 01:23
All sorts of different cameras fall under the title digital -- do you want a simple point and shoot or something a little more involved? How much do you wish to spend?
A good site to take a look at is www.dpreview.com -- reviews of cameras and ratings by owners (with comments). Might be helpful for you...

sweetpea
18-Mar-07, 01:26
I've got a Kodak with printer cost about £200, 5 mill pixels, easy to use softeare does the job for me. Depends what your after? What I'd relly like is one of the cameras the papparazzi have so you can take photos from miles away.

Bobinovich
18-Mar-07, 10:47
I've had a couple of Fuji digital cameras and have been very happy with them as good general purpose models.

My other half has a small Kodak Easyshare camera with the printer dock which she has found to be ideal for her needs.

It really does boil down to what you want to use it for and what kind of money you want to spend.

j4bberw0ck
18-Mar-07, 11:29
What I'd relly like is one of the cameras the papparazzi have so you can take photos from miles away.

That's about the lens, not the camera. Something like this (http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Fixed_Focal_Length/EF_1200mm_f56L_USM/) - US$85,000 to you, squire, but sadly discontinued. Not brilliant as a holiday camera either - comes in an armoured suitcase which all together weighs as much as a bag of cement - or as they used to call it when men were men who walked funny and cement came in hundredweight bags, a "half bag" (56 lbs).

Heavy stuff, glass.

engiebenjy
18-Mar-07, 14:06
looks more like the thing they used to make the Channel Tunnel than a lens!

molly
18-Mar-07, 14:30
Hi,
I have a sony dsc p-150 cyber-shot 7.2 mega pixels digital camera. I find it very easy to use, you can buy one for around £150

DarkAngel
18-Mar-07, 16:33
Ive also got a fuji camera and its brillaint! Got it a few years ago and ive had no problesm with it and it takes brillaint pix!

Tristan
18-Mar-07, 17:42
I have a small HP and an even smaller casio that I can slip in my pocked on a night or for casual pics. I also have a fuji S5600 which is closer to an SLR camera: is very fast and takes excellent pics.

grantyg
18-Mar-07, 17:47
I have always had the best results with canon.
I currently have a Ixus 800 that I use for everything.........
www.flickr.com/photos/elaineandgrant

vodka-queen
19-Mar-07, 15:46
i have a polariod and dont recommend them at all.
it wasnt cheap and its simply just alot of junk.

futurelegends
19-Mar-07, 20:12
Go for a well known manufacturer such as Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta etc, don't plump for your cheapos from Lidl's or the like - It's false economy in the long run if you're looking for quality.

percy toboggan
19-Mar-07, 20:20
Go for a well known manufacturer such as Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta etc, don't plump for your cheapos from Lidl's or the like - It's false economy in the long run if you're looking for quality.

Agreed, and while you're at it discount 'digital zoom' capability Optical zoom is important though. I have a Minolta with 10x optical zoom, and the magnification is incredible. I don't use it to its full capability too often but it is handy to have.
The Dimage Z1 I bought three years ago is only 3.2 megapixel but this does not really matter unless you want to blow up to bigger than ten x eight inches. This camera cost me £300 three years ago but prices have come down. Mine is now old technology now probably such is the pace of development. I'd always vouch for this lense though because it's superb.

Whichever you choose - enjoy it. Digital photgraphy gives everyone their own darkroom capability without all those chemicals. It's revolutionised photography. I've taken ten thousand photographs since 2004 and even with my limited capability a fair percentage are bob on.
Shoot often.

Tristan
19-Mar-07, 20:47
good point about the zoom
Optical zoom is where it is at. You can look at digital zoom (often better doing it on your PC) but get the optical zoom you need, don't rely on digital.

scorrie
19-Mar-07, 22:03
There is a lot of snobbery and hype in the camera world. Don't be drawn in by the big numbers and flashy price tags. You will be able to get a 5MP camera with 3x optical zoom for around £60 in today's market. If all you are looking for is a starter camera, that will be way more than enough. I have seen many people with cameras that have a zillion modes and they only ever use the basics, with hardly a clue about what half of it is about.

My two cents worth recommends this particular beginner's model:-

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/235471/art/fuji/finepix-a500.html#fichetechnique

Bobinovich
19-Mar-07, 22:13
That's a nice choice for a beginner Scorrie good all-round specification and at a crackin' price.

Only addition I would make would be to get suitable Ni-MH batteries and charger (if the camera doesn't have one built in).

Blazing Sporrans
20-Mar-07, 10:31
Only addition I would make would be to get suitable Ni-MH batteries and charger (if the camera doesn't have one built in).
I'd agree with this 100%. I bought a Fuji Finepix A500 for my daughter for Xmas, which is powered by AA batteries, and the camera just eats them up if the flash is used. I have a Casio Exilim, with Li-ion batteries and that is far superior. Any digital cameras powered by AA batteries seem to be a bit of a rip-off, so beware and be careful what you invest in.

percy toboggan
20-Mar-07, 18:28
There is a lot of snobbery and hype in the camera world.

I'm not sure what you mean, or if your words are directed toward me. I'll wade in anyway...
My next purchase will be a digital slr at around four to five hundred quid. This Minolta I have will serve as useful for some things but at the end of the day, and in the morning you get what you pay for. Crystal clear images with adjustable shutter speeds and aperture settings are advisable for anyone who wants to progress beyond snap shots. Enlargements matter to some too. Don't be fooled by the mega pixel count either - it's what the camera does with all those pixels that counts.

If you want cheap then buy cheap. If I sound like a snob then there's a first time for everything. I'm just a semi-educated working class oik, but I know what I like.

Victoria
20-Mar-07, 22:27
I've got a Sony Cyber Shot and its fantastic.

porshiepoo
20-Mar-07, 23:00
I have an Olympus E500 and think it's fantastic.

scorrie
21-Mar-07, 17:01
I'm not sure what you mean, or if your words are directed toward me. I'll wade in anyway...
My next purchase will be a digital slr at around four to five hundred quid. This Minolta I have will serve as useful for some things but at the end of the day, and in the morning you get what you pay for. Crystal clear images with adjustable shutter speeds and aperture settings are advisable for anyone who wants to progress beyond snap shots. Enlargements matter to some too. Don't be fooled by the mega pixel count either - it's what the camera does with all those pixels that counts.

If you want cheap then buy cheap. If I sound like a snob then there's a first time for everything. I'm just a semi-educated working class oik, but I know what I like.

Here boy, calm doon. What makes you think I would wish to single you out?

I couldn't give a fig what your next purchase is. I said there is snobbery and hype in "the camera world" that would appear to be a pretty vague and large target. I also said that if people were looking for a starter camera then £60 is enough to be going on with. If your advice is that they should be spending £500 in that scenario then I would have to firmly disagree with you.

I posted in order to try to help someone, not to get a blast from David Bailey ;o)

ks
21-Mar-07, 23:36
Thanks Scorrie for confirming what I had been thinking anyway about not spending too much on my first digital camera, I probably won't be using it enough to warrant spending £500 on one. I have ordered an Olympus FE-210 for just over £90 inc postage, it seems quite good so will try to post some good pictures once I have worked out how to use it! Thanks for all your advice.