PDA

View Full Version : taxis in caithness wick and thurso

Mr P Cannop
17-Aug-14, 13:33
there is a lack of taxis in caithness that dont have wheelchair access there is only 1 taxi in Thurso that does have wheelchair access there should be more taxis in caithness that have wheelchair access in their taxis why does highland council not do some thing about this ??

jacko
17-Aug-14, 14:41
good point Paul . cant say i have seen one in Wick .

mi16
17-Aug-14, 15:56
there you go a nice niche for you, start one

Mr Z
17-Aug-14, 17:20
I could even sell you a car converted to take a wheelchair. That would get your business started

Jerrico
17-Aug-14, 18:06
There's a current lack of everything in Caithness at the moment, the county should be going forward with the times but seems to be going back in time.

mi16
17-Aug-14, 20:16
There's a current lack of everything in Caithness at the moment, the county should be going forward with the times but seems to be going back in time.

how can a county that is on its knees move forward?

Heisenberg
17-Aug-14, 20:28
how can a county that is on its knees move forward? A good point. The highland council have had to endure cuts of 65million pounds in their annual budget, so quite unlikely Caithness will improve much any time soon. There is a lack of taxis offering wheelchair access in the whole of the UK, its not a Caithness problem, its country wide. The problem is that disabled taxis cost many times more than ordinary taxis and disabled people take longer to embark and disembark, costing the driver valuable time for no extra return, if operators and drivers of taxis offering a service for the disabled were offered an incentive in the form of subsidy, then perhaps there would be more.

starfish
17-Aug-14, 21:09
try using rural transport they are very good helpful and freindly i have used them a lot through my work

theone
17-Aug-14, 22:47
This isn't a highland council issue for me.

They issue taxi licenses, I don't see how they can force taxi drivers into buying disabled transport.

Mr P Cannop
18-Aug-14, 07:47
then they will be going aganist disabled people

Heisenberg
18-Aug-14, 08:59
then they will be going aganist disabled peopleNot really, how do you work that out?Should they force taxi drivers/owners to purchase converted vehicles?

DMFB
18-Aug-14, 09:24
Its all about demand and supply. If there has not been much demand for this type of service then there is no way the firms are going to fork out this amount of money for a vehicle which will not be used often enough to justify it.
Its not only taxi firms guilty of this how many shops/ banks would someone in a wheelchair truly be able to access easily once the taxi equipped to take them to the town center got them there. Very few my guess. Many shops have a step up into them have doors that need to be pushed open and shut are so cramped and cluttered or have internal stairs which do not take into account ease of use by a wheelchair user r a mother pushing a pram for that.

Anyway according to lots of posts I have read on here in the past most folk have disability cars thrown at them for use
Yes ? No ?

DMFB
18-Aug-14, 09:26
This isn't a highland council issue for me.

True

but isnt Highland Council to blame for Everything ? [lol]