PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the boy racers with backfiring cars?

Pedro Hopper
16-Aug-14, 23:48
I've noticed a huge surge in these anti-social plebs in Wick who have had their cars modified to backfire on gear change. It happens at all hours of the night. Do they think it sounds good and do they not realise/care that it's obnoxious and useless other than to draw attention to their otherwise mediocre cars?

dx100uk
17-Aug-14, 02:00
what about keeping people and babies awake at night.

round and around like scalextrix cars all night same few cars too.

was talking to a couple of the bnb owners in the town the other night

the guests are really complaining about them.

Pedro Hopper
17-Aug-14, 18:42
what about keeping people and babies awake at night.

round and around like scalextrix cars all night same few cars too.

was talking to a couple of the bnb owners in the town the other night

the guests are really complaining about them.

Absolutely, and I don't doubt it. It must be bad for business and with them doing in excess of 40MPH routinely, it's only a matter of time before there are fatalities.

The problem is that no one will do anything about it - parenting is a big part of it too (or lack thereof), also social responsibility is an unknown to many of the teen/tweenagers. It's really irritating.

No wonder Wick is a shrivelling husk of what it used to be.

mi16
17-Aug-14, 20:29
Absolutely, and I don't doubt it. It must be bad for business and with them doing in excess of 40MPH routinely, it's only a matter of time before there are fatalities.

The problem is that no one will do anything about it - parenting is a big part of it too (or lack thereof), also social responsibility is an unknown to many of the teen/tweenagers. It's really irritating.

No wonder Wick is a shrivelling husk of what it used to be.

When was the last fatal RTA in Wick?

Pedro Hopper
17-Aug-14, 22:07
When was the last fatal RTA in Wick?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=matter+of+time

Plus, I didn't explicitly say RTA fatality - If one of these B&B owners/parents/otherwise disgruntled citizens gets a hold of them...

mi16
17-Aug-14, 22:47
Its only a matter of time until the next ice age also

Xenophon
18-Aug-14, 16:45
There appear to be a number of options here, over and above bewailing the iniquity of how other folk behave on an Interweb forum.

Firstly, contact the Community Policing Team at Wick police station. It is part of their job to deal with stuff like this. This works on the basis that as the fuzz aren't actually omnipotent then 'information received' might be of use to them.

More importantly, it will also generate an incident number.

I mention this, as the Police have something called the 'Multi Ward Member Team' who have produced a report for the last two years which outline some of the concerns you raise. Unfortunately, the reports for the last two years that are available (2013 and 2014) appear to be almost identical in their content; this means that there is either no progress on this issue or they feel able to just publish the same old nonsense and hope nobody notices.

As such, if you really want to have any influence on these issues, you first of all need to actively engage the police about your concerns; if there is still no apparent progress, then contacting with your local councillor to address the issue may be the way to go.

Lastly, as irritating (ie, blood-pressure raising to the point of self-detonation) as it might be, please try to remember we were (mostly) all young and daft at some point; I could quite easily see myself at their age doing something so annoying and only age and experience has left me slightly less stupid that I once was. There are better ways than immediately going all mediaeval armageddon on the poor deluded chavs.

Peace, love and understading, how hard can it be?

Pedro Hopper
18-Aug-14, 19:07
Its only a matter of time until the next ice age also

Short, pointless, irrelevant and immature.

Thanks for that.

mi16
18-Aug-14, 22:18
Short, pointless, irrelevant and immature.

Thanks for that.

As was your earlier post chief, dont serve what you cannot eat.

Back on track, if the cars are illegal in modification or being driven illegaly then its a matter for the police.
If they are not then the lads are free to drive them where and when they please.
If the B&B guests are displeased then I am sure they can get suitable digs elsewhere.

bothyman
20-Aug-14, 20:37
Hopefully if the Car is modified in any way (exhaust etc) they have told their Insurance company of the modification?? otherwise the Insurance company may not payout, if they have an accident.
The question is are they legally insured to drive the vehicle??..

mi16
21-Aug-14, 10:11
All mods must be declared to the insurance.
Towbars, audio the lot
I cannot see why they would not inform the insurance

abz02
05-Sep-14, 13:36
All mods must be declared to the insurance.
Towbars, audio the lot
I cannot see why they would not inform the insurance It's a matter of respect which none of them have, especially in the early hours, modifications declared or not there is still a noise limit on exhausts. and like you say is a matter for the police.

mi16
06-Sep-14, 08:04
It's a matter of respect which none of them have, especially in the early hours, modifications declared or not there is still a noise limit on exhausts. and like you say is a matter for the police. An exhaust cannot be sold I the uk for road use unless it meets noise regulations.If the car is legal, it can be driven wherever, whenever

Pedro Hopper
06-Sep-14, 09:44
An exhaust cannot be sold I the uk for road use unless it meets noise regulations.If the car is legal, it can be driven wherever, whenever

Obviously, if the exhaust is modified, the manufacturer clearly has no responsibility for this and can not design this out. It also obviously depends on the configuration of the rest of the car, for example longer duration cams will cause the exhaust valve(s) to be held open longer, allowing still-burning cylinder charge out.

I think it's safe to assume by your user name and fierce defence of this heinous, antisocial behaviour, that your are the owner of such a car?

mi16
06-Sep-14, 21:13
You can assume whatever you like.I am not defending anything apart from perhaps a persons right to drive a road legal car where and when they want.So how do you modify an exhaust to make the car backfire?

Pedro Hopper
07-Sep-14, 22:24
You do like to misrepresent people, don't you? ;) I didn't say modify the exhaust to make the car backfire, I said only "if the exhaust is modified". Scroll up and re-read. My point is, even if an exhaust is legal at the time of sale, if one were to remove the cat or silencers from the exhaust system, there would be a significant noise increase.

But surely you acknowledge that an overly-noisy car is antisocial to some people? How would you feel if you were to, say, have an elderly relative or infant who was constantly woken up by such noise? Or a business which was being negatively affected, like the poster who mentioned the B&B?

mi16
08-Sep-14, 00:25
The vehicle with the modified exhaust will of course be subject to an annaul MOT (assuming it is a minimum of 3 years old) test, where a diligant tester will pick up on the fact that the CAT has been removed (a CAT however is an emissions reduction device and not necessarily a silencer) or if it is making excessive noise.
Antisocial is a matter of opinion, noise emissions are quantifiable and measurable.

The point on relatives or infants depends on if the vehicle was excessively noisy by definition of the law or not.

Pedro Hopper
08-Sep-14, 19:10
The vehicle with the modified exhaust will of course be subject to an annaul MOT (assuming it is a minimum of 3 years old) test, where a diligant tester will pick up on the fact that the CAT has been removed (a CAT however is an emissions reduction device and not necessarily a silencer) or if it is making excessive noise.
Antisocial is a matter of opinion, noise emissions are quantifiable and measurable.

The point on relatives or infants depends on if the vehicle was excessively noisy by definition of the law or not.

Thanks for the edit, it was a little mindless before. Removal of a cat will cause an increase in noise in almost all applications. Also, looking at it from a legal standpoint:

https://www.gov.uk/noise-pollution-road-train-plane/vehicle-noise-limits

"The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise."

That final part is definitely the point of the post, so from that point of view, an offence is being committed, and by "definition of the law" as you put it. Like all things of this nature however, they are complaint-driven, so I would advise all persons who are affected by this to drop an email to:LandwardCaithnessCPT@Scotland.pnn.police.ukThe more people who complain, the more likely it will be that something will be done about it.

mi16
08-Sep-14, 19:43
Thanks for the edit, it was a little mindless before. Removal of a cat will cause an increase in noise in almost all applications. Also, looking at it from a legal standpoint:

https://www.gov.uk/noise-pollution-road-train-plane/vehicle-noise-limits

"The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise."

That final part is definitely the point of the post, so from that point of view, an offence is being committed, and by "definition of the law" as you put it. Like all things of this nature however, they are complaint-driven, so I would advise all persons who are affected by this to drop an email to:LandwardCaithnessCPT@Scotland.pnn.police.ukThe more people who complain, the more likely it will be that something will be done about it.

Not necessarily no, for example a turbocharger does the majority of silencing in vehicles equipped with one.
Indeed, the point I am making is the "too much noise" is quantifiable and measureable i.e the police can measure a vehicles noise emissions with a suitably calibrated decibel meter then it is black and white if it is too noisy or not.
As plagiarised from the DFT website
"The current noise test for passenger cars, as set out in EU Directive 92/97
as amended, consists of driving the vehicle into the test area at a speed of 50
km/hr and then accelerating at full throttle through it past a microphone. The
microphone is placed at a set distance from the line of travel and it measures
the maximum level of noise reached which is then compared to the limit value to
determine whether the vehicle passes or fails.
The test area is surrounded by an open area to avoid sound reflections and
the road surface is carefully constructed to a set standard to ensure
consistency of results."

However there is another angle which may be excessive revving of the engine or noise pollution from car audio, however that is not the subject matter of the thread.

Pedro Hopper
09-Sep-14, 08:48
However there is another angle which may be excessive revving of the engine or noise pollution from car audio, however that is not the subject matter of the thread.

Contrarily, the revving is a implicit in them making the car backfire; over-revving on gearchange, so it is very much on topic.

Car audio is another thing.... and they're sort of punishing themselves.

mi16
09-Sep-14, 09:29
Contrarily, the revving is a implicit in them making the car backfire; over-revving on gearchange, so it is very much on topic..

I dont think so, rev limiters are there to prevent over revving of cars, of course an idiot sitting on the rev limiter could be mistaken for backfiring but it is not.
Modern high performance turbocharged cars will pop on gearshift occassionally, more often with a sports exhaust system.
Non turbocharged cars will tend to backfire if they are poorly set up or done deliberately via overrun and control of ignition key, but that only works on carbs which are few and far between these days.

Pedro Hopper
09-Sep-14, 23:47
I dont think so, rev limiters are there to prevent over revving of cars, of course an idiot sitting on the rev limiter could be mistaken for backfiring but it is not.
Modern high performance turbocharged cars will pop on gearshift occassionally, more often with a sports exhaust system.
Non turbocharged cars will tend to backfire if they are poorly set up or done deliberately via overrun and control of ignition key, but that only works on carbs which are few and far between these days.

Not sure if straw-manning me intentionally...

I'm not talking about bouncing off the rev limiter, just excessively revving the engine in order to make this effect happen. Hitting the rev limiter sounds nothing like the noise I am talking about at gear change. And it's not occasionally, it can be apparently made to happen at will.

The cars I am talking about are most likely remapped injection cars for the most part and it also seems as though they may be fitted with longer duration cams and sports exhausts, as previously stated.

mi16
10-Sep-14, 07:43
The cars I am talking about are most likely remapped injection cars for the most part and it also seems as though they may be fitted with longer duration cams and sports exhausts, as previously stated.

Nope I am not buying that.

Pedro Hopper
10-Sep-14, 13:30
Nope I am not buying that.

That's your prerogative. I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions on the matter too.

mi16
10-Sep-14, 13:39
That's your prerogative. I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions on the matter too.

Sports exhausts, yes absolutely
Chipped or remapped possibly, more likely to be on a turbo car then a run of the mill fuel injected car.
Lumpy cams, Id be interested to hear your evidence for believing that they are changing out their exhaust cam?

Pedro Hopper
10-Sep-14, 17:59
Sports exhausts, yes absolutely
Chipped or remapped possibly, more likely to be on a turbo car then a run of the mill fuel injected car.
Lumpy cams, Id be interested to hear your evidence for believing that they are changing out their exhaust cam?

25 years' experience with cars?

But the point of the thread is the noise and social impact of the behaviour, not the nature of the modifications which their cars do or don't have.

mi16
10-Sep-14, 18:32
25 years' experience with cars?

But the point of the thread is the noise and social impact of the behaviour, not the nature of the modifications which their cars do or don't have.

As I thgought, zero evidence whatsoever
My point is that assuming they are MOT'd and not being prosecuted by the police, then they are road legal, therefore there is no issue here.

Pedro Hopper
11-Sep-14, 00:03
As I thgought, zero evidence whatsoever
My point is that assuming they are MOT'd and not being prosecuted by the police, then they are road legal, therefore there is no issue here.

Why are you so hung up on the technical details? I have listed several possible reasons of how the cars may be making this noise - it is not the point of the thread to perform any kind of diagnosis on how it happens, I've only speculated on reasons that I know of which could be causal factors. Do you not understand this? The point of this thread was to gather opinions on the noise and antisocial behaviour underlying, stay on topic. You have given your opinion of a "box-checked", technically legal stand point which I respect, but do not agree with.

mi16
11-Sep-14, 07:24
OK my apologies.
Let me rephrase
If the law of the land says it is ok, then why do you think otherwise?

Pedro Hopper
11-Sep-14, 16:40
OK my apologies.
Let me rephrase
If the law of the land says it is ok, then why do you think otherwise?

Just because to the exact letter of the law* people can get away with it, it does not necessarily follow that it is socially acceptable.

*In fact, referencing again the link to the police Scotland site I made earlier, the definition of noise nuisance from cars does cover this type of complaint, it's weak because it is implied, not explicitly stated, and therefore not a defined modality of offence. The problem is that there is currently no element in the MOT test which caters to the detection for in-motion/transient noise, nor police equipment to tests for this.

More abstractly. the whole crux of the thread is that drivers of these cars are either not thinking about how their behaviour and driving style affects their community, or just simply don't care. I suspect the latter.

dx100uk
19-Sep-14, 19:10
I wonder where section 59 sits in all this.

looking at the many police tv shows
they use this all the time on anti-social behaviour
by the boy racers.

upolian
16-Oct-14, 02:13
Backfiring is unburnt fuel in the exhaust,on over run/gear change it ignites excessive fuel, its down to the standard map on the ecu not being re-calibrated to suit the modifications,

Removing a catalytic convertor will increase power/emissions,they are restrictive.

Look at the standard Map on a Focus ST and you will see they slightly overfuel on over run,so pop and bang from the factory in standard form,a worn cat on these cars can cause more predomenant backfiring

camor
02-Nov-14, 18:35
Leave them alone, they're just young lads and lassies enjoying themselves. All this technical jargon about misfires doesn't matter. It's the old story, just cos you don't like something everybody else has to dislike it too. These kids are hardly criminal masterminds carrying out all sorts of badness, give them a break cos we were all young once.

dx100uk
03-Nov-14, 02:29
works both ways

give the towns' residences and businesses a break from the noise of the same few cars going around and around the same routes disturbing them all night

Pedro Hopper
25-Dec-14, 21:54
Leave them alone, they're just young lads and lassies enjoying themselves. All this technical jargon about misfires doesn't matter. It's the old story, just cos you don't like something everybody else has to dislike it too. These kids are hardly criminal masterminds carrying out all sorts of badness, give them a break cos we were all young once.

That's not in question, but why should the disrespectful behaviour of a few people be tolerated when it offends and adversely affects a great many people? This is the definition of anti-communal.

abz02
23-Feb-15, 12:42
An exhaust cannot be sold I the uk for road use unless it meets noise regulations.If the car is legal, it can be driven wherever, whenever

What a load of crap ! might have legal exhaust but what about the catalytic converters they rip out? hence backfiring, as for regulations you can buy whatever you want it's up to you where you decide to use it.

davth
09-May-15, 07:36
What a load of crap ! might have legal exhaust but what about the catalytic converters they rip out? hence backfiring, as for regulations you can buy whatever you want it's up to you where you decide to use it.

As with anything in life, it is up to the individual if they wish to abide by the law.

dx100uk
15-May-15, 23:42
http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon1.png Fit's in 'e Groat 'e day?
John O Groat Journal headlines for May 15, 2015

A MAJOR coach tour operator has threatened to scrap visits to John O Groats if the turning circle and parking facilities at the end of the road are not retained under new development plans for the tourist hotspot. Shearings Holidays claims it will have no choice but to remove the Caithness landmark from its schedules if it receives no reassurance about access for coaches as part of regeneration plans being proposed by leisure firm, Natural Retreats.

TOURISTS from Moray have accused boy racers of ruining Wick as a holiday destination, claiming antisocial driving resulted in them cutting short their vacation. Shirley Brand said her caravan holiday with her husband across the north coast of Sutherlan and Caithness was spoiled by the noise of loud exhausts and screeching tyres in the town.

TWO police officers were forced to wade into Wick River to help a young woman who had ignored pleas from onlookers to get out of the water. The drama happened on Tuesday afternoon near the town's Service Bridge at the mouth of the river which flows out to the sea through Wick Harbour.

THE devastation caused by the earthquake in Nepal was "like something you only see in a disaster movie". That was how Caithness nurse Steph Sinclair, who survived the quake and helped treat the injured, described the scenes she encountered in Kathmandu.

THE grandson of a well-known Caithness farm family has been bestowed one of a Borders' town's biggest honours in the same week as the second anniversary of his brother's death. Gregor Hepburn, grandson of the late Dan and Betty Coghill, of Skinnet, Halkirk, has been named as the Hawick Cornet of this year's Common Riding season.

A CHARITY is buzzing after being awarded almost 120,000 to help safeguard one of the last great bumblebee strongholds in the UK - in Caithness. The Bumblee Conservation Trust has received 116,880 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to launch its project Thurso Gateway to the Great Yellow in Caithness.

THURSO can claim to be the home of one of the best steak pies in Scotland after Reid's of Caithness won national recognition at the Scottish Baker of the Year Awards. The firm picked up a national bronze award for its steak pie as well as clinching the top award for its fruit scone and a silver accolade for its multi-seed bread in the north region category.

Gronnuck
16-May-15, 06:08
TOURISTS from Moray have accused boy racers of ruining Wick as a holiday destination, claiming antisocial driving resulted in them cutting short their vacation. Shirley Brand said her caravan holiday with her husband across the north coast of Sutherlan and Caithness was spoiled by the noise of loud exhausts and screeching tyres in the town.

Wick, a holiday destination? They must be having a laugh!
Caravans are for touring so they would not be spending many nights in Wick. If they could hear the noise of loud exhausts and screeching tyres across the river and upstream from the Norseman Car Park so what? They would know that at least they didn't have to live with it.
Part of the joy of touring with a caravan is knowing that whatever you experience it will only be for as long as you want to experience it then you move on.

dx100uk
16-May-15, 20:20
well at least they can move on

we cant ..

night after night after night..same ole..noise

Samshaks
06-Nov-15, 13:43
I guess it's a matter of time.

airport limo sydney (http://www.sydneyelitelimo.com.au/) | sydney airport limo (http://www.sydneyelitelimo.com.au/) | limo services (http://www.sydneyelitelimo.com.au/)

gaza
16-Nov-15, 22:27

Time to pick on the older men and woman who cana go round a corner properly and forget to put there lights on and can't see 10 yards in front of them selves, also the oldies who think you can still put a clear bulb in an indicator lens, drive with low tyre pressure, and think they can park in the middle of the road and go get a paper, and never, never see a biker coming. I could easily go on and on about them.
Time they had to resit a test after they reach 60, or at least a compulsory EYE test ! ! !

dozy
17-Nov-15, 12:24
Time to pick on the older men and woman who cana go round a corner properly and forget to put there lights on and can't see 10 yards in front of them selves, also the oldies who think you can still put a clear bulb in an indicator lens, drive with low tyre pressure, and think they can park in the middle of the road and go get a paper, and never, never see a biker coming. I could easily go on and on about them.
Time they had to resit a test after they reach 60, or at least a compulsory EYE test ! ! !

a government survey into brain development proved that you need to be over 25 years of age before you should be allowed the drive . Would you agree or has your brain not reached this threshold.

gaza
17-Nov-15, 19:58
a government survey into brain development proved that you need to be over 25 years of age before you should be allowed the drive . Would you agree or has your brain not reached this threshold.

That should read,
Allowed TO drive
Eh ?
56 and a holder of many categories of licence, and happy to be reassessed as I already have to, to hold my plant operators ticket's.
And you ?
When you reach a certain age do you think you should be reassessed?

Lingland
17-Nov-15, 20:13
Careful what you wish for with any luck you will be 60 one day too. : )

davth
18-Nov-15, 18:18

Why would you put a bulb in your cars lights? bulbs go in the ground, lamps go in lights. Do you plan on using a daffodil to inform others of your intended direction change?
A surgeon can still perform brain surgery at 60, they don't need to re do their training why would a 60 year old motorist?
A better option would be for new drivers to complete a resit annually for 5 years after passing their test to ensure that they do not forget the rules of the road and drive with consideration for other road users.

gaza
20-Nov-15, 19:50
Why would you put a bulb in your cars lights? bulbs go in the ground, lamps go in lights. Do you plan on using a daffodil to inform others of your intended direction change?
A surgeon can still perform brain surgery at 60, they don't need to re do their training why would a 60 year old motorist?
A better option would be for new drivers to complete a resit annually for 5 years after passing their test to ensure that they do not forget the rules of the road and drive with consideration for other road users.

New cars have clear indicator lenses requiring a yellow BUIB.
Many certificates and licences require refresher training so as to continue in their profession.
First aiders, machine operators, lorry drivers, etc.
Your 60 year old surgeon (took a bit longer than a 40 min test) operating on your brain better be able to see, and I can assure you, through out his career he will be assessed continuously, unlike drivers who can pass a 40 minute test, not drive for years, send off a bit of paper, get it renewed, jump in car.
We should ALL be assessed at intervals so as to be SAFE and not take someones life away.

weeker2014
21-Nov-15, 10:09

To be fair they are bulbs:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&top=N&langId=-1&categoryId=165538&storeId=10001

davth
26-Nov-15, 19:18
To be fair they are bulbs:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&top=N&langId=-1&categoryId=165538&storeId=10001

no they are not
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamp_(electrical_component)
http://www.osram.com/osram_com/tools-and-services/tools/vehicle-lamp-replacement-guide/index.jsp;jsessionid=B7F1F03D1654EA1D389303860D92B 2D0

abz02
28-Nov-15, 22:31
You can assume whatever you like.I am not defending anything apart from perhaps a persons right to drive a road legal car where and when they want.So how do you modify an exhaust to make the car backfire? By removing both catalytic converters on a turbo charged car, which also makes it illegal and wont meet noise regulations.

dx100uk
24-Mar-16, 01:28
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?251939-What-a-Disgrace!&highlight=thurso+racers

dx100uk
01-Apr-16, 21:48
YOUNG motorists are being offered the opportunity to improve their driving skills, free of charge, in an attempt to tackle anti-social driving in towns and villages in Caithness. The Roadwise Project is giving people, aged between 17 and 25, the chance to take part in the Pass Plus Course, without it costing them a penny.

davth
01-Apr-16, 22:23
Well that will get them off the streets

dx100uk
16-Apr-16, 02:49
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Boy-racers-turn-Thurso-street-into-Grand-Prix-circuit-04062013.htm

sids
16-Apr-16, 10:19
no they are not
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamp_(electrical_component)
http://www.osram.com/osram_com/tools-and-services/tools/vehicle-lamp-replacement-guide/index.jsp;jsessionid=B7F1F03D1654EA1D389303860D92B 2D0

Do I even need to tell you what every known English dictionary says?

dx100uk
11-Oct-16, 02:11
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Success-for-campaign-against-Thurso-antisocial-drivers-08102016.htm

POLICE have reported a significant drop in the number of antisocial driving complaints in Thurso as part of a campaign to tackle the issue.

The recent effort saw local officers working with the divisional roads policing unit to engage with drivers to promote a positive attitude towards driving and enforce the relevant rules of the road.

They issued five fixed-penalty notices for exhaust offences,
six antisocial behaviour orders against drivers
and detected a number of other offences.

The town has in recent years had a particular problem with anti-social driving
with local councillors having reported seeing motorists speeding down residential streets,
with another issue being high-powered cars and noisy exhaust systems.

They suggested people could make a log of the problems to reveal a pattern of behaviour which could be tackled by police.

The police were keen to target speeding, careless and inconsiderate driving, racing, noisy exhausts, drivers causing excessive or unnecessary noise and vehicle defects.

As part of the campaign officers also ran two drop-in advice sessions and conducted numerous speed checks at various locations in and around Thurso.

The campaign has now finished but officers are keen to remind motorists that Police Scotland will continue with high-visibility patrols and will take action regarding antisocial driving and other road traffic offences in Thurso.

shouldn't be to difficult with a bit o help.......to identify the less than 10 cars that pop away here night after night....

coming to wick soon...silence of a evening ...at last...

dx

gaza
19-Oct-16, 22:10
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Success-for-campaign-against-Thurso-antisocial-drivers-08102016.htm

POLICE have reported a significant drop in the number of antisocial driving complaints in Thurso as part of a campaign to tackle the issue.

The recent effort saw local officers working with the divisional roads policing unit to engage with drivers to promote a positive attitude towards driving and enforce the relevant rules of the road.

They issued five fixed-penalty notices for exhaust offences,
six antisocial behaviour orders against drivers
and detected a number of other offences.

The town has in recent years had a particular problem with anti-social driving
with local councillors having reported seeing motorists speeding down residential streets,
with another issue being high-powered cars and noisy exhaust systems.

They suggested people could make a log of the problems to reveal a pattern of behaviour which could be tackled by police.

The police were keen to target speeding, careless and inconsiderate driving, racing, noisy exhausts, drivers causing excessive or unnecessary noise and vehicle defects.

As part of the campaign officers also ran two drop-in advice sessions and conducted numerous speed checks at various locations in and around Thurso.

The campaign has now finished but officers are keen to remind motorists that Police Scotland will continue with high-visibility patrols and will take action regarding antisocial driving and other road traffic offences in Thurso.

shouldn't be to difficult with a bit o help.......to identify the less than 10 cars that pop away here night after night....

coming to wick soon...silence of a evening ...at last...

dx

Here we go again.
It's all very well having a dig at the youngsters of today modifying there motors and adding upgrades and making there presence felt, after all that's how mankind and technology evolves, we all did it one-way or another, yes they'll get gurned at, find and prosecuted, driving points and the like, that's what life and progress is about, THAT'S the thrill.
Wish I had my youth back, o well 10 o'clock time for bed.

Teal
06-Nov-16, 05:52
Here we go again.
It's all very well having a dig at the youngsters of today modifying there motors and adding upgrades and making there presence felt, after all that's how mankind and technology evolves, we all did it one-way or another, yes they'll get gurned at, find and prosecuted, driving points and the like, that's what life and progress is about.

Except, these kids aren't evolving anything. They are making no progress. Wasting money on fuel and pointless noise mods isn't technology advancing it is stupidity.

mi16
06-Nov-16, 10:29
Except, these kids aren't evolving anything. They are making no progress. Wasting money on fuel and pointless noise mods isn't technology advancing it is stupidity.

The vehicle modification and accessories industry is massive in the UK, I cant remember the figures but it runs into the billions I think.
If no one carried out the mods be it for performance, economy, appearance, sound, safety or whatever then we would all still be driving about in the maxi or metro, as cars would be sen as just an item to get one from A to B. In reality it is much more than that, used as an extension to a persons soul in some cases, some folk spend a lot more time behind the wheel than they do in their own home.

sids
06-Nov-16, 11:32
The vehicle modification and accessories industry is massive in the UK, I cant remember the figures but it runs into the billions I think.
If no one carried out the mods be it for performance, economy, appearance, sound, safety or whatever then we would all still be driving about in the maxi or metro, as cars would be sen as just an item to get one from A to B. In reality it is much more than that, used as an extension to a persons soul in some cases, some folk spend a lot more time behind the wheel than they do in their own home.

Then they grow up.

mi16
06-Nov-16, 11:59
Then they grow up.

Perhaps
You see many sales reps that spend 6 hours a day in the car though.
HGV drivers, Bus driver, taxi drivers all spend extended periods driving
There is barely a car I have owned that I havent altered in some way, these days its not looks or go faster parts though.
But I normally bolt on a towbar, add in a split charger, set of all terrain tyres etc etc

sids
06-Nov-16, 13:42
Perhaps

They're the grown-ups, who are using motor vehicles to travel and transport, from A to B.

There is barely a car I have owned that I havent altered in some way, these days its not looks or go faster parts though.
But I normally bolt on a towbar, add in a split charger, set of all terrain tyres etc etc

Yes, quite.

mi16
06-Nov-16, 15:34
They're the grown-ups, who are using motor vehicles to travel and transport, from A to B.

Every journey is from A to B, some do it for pleasure and some for purpose.
As long as the vehicles are road legal and driven within the law then there really is no issue.

gaza
08-Nov-16, 18:21
Perhaps

Towbar ! !
Bet a remap has crossed your mind ?

mi16
08-Nov-16, 21:06
Towbar ! !
Bet a remap has crossed your mind ?

On more than one occasion,never went for it though.

gaza
14-Nov-16, 22:46
On more than one occasion,never went for it though.
I did,
Big improvement on torque and fuel consumption.

mi16
16-Nov-16, 17:39
I did,
Big improvement on torque and fuel consumption.

I was not keen on letting some random with a laptop muck about with my ECU,I have however had positive reviews on a chap from Orkney who will travel to you to do the job,I may well take him up on it.