PDA

View Full Version : vista ultimate

johno
17-Mar-07, 17:59
hi, i was hoping some one can help me here, i have been given vista ultimate as a gift, but i do not know if i aught to install it or not. my pc is new and is more than compatible for it but i have heard that it,s not all that hot [vista that is] some say that the servers have not caught up with vista yet. should i install it now ,wait a while or just not bother.? any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
:confused

johno
17-Mar-07, 18:01
hi, i was hoping some one can help me here, i have been given vista ultimate as a gift, but i do not know if i aught to install it or not. my pc is new and is more than compatible for it but i have heard that it,s not all that hot [vista that is] some say that the servers have not caught up with vista yet. should i install it now ,wait a while or just not bother.? any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
:confused
ps i am running on xp sp2 at the moment.

Colin Manson
17-Mar-07, 19:27
You can download a Microsoft advisor tool to check your PC/Drivers & Applications for Vista readiness.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

I have issues with a few programs that I use but on the whole most of my applications seem to work with Vista.

I've used Vista on my brothers laptop and I like it, I'd upgrade tomorrow if all of my applications would work, I really like all the WMC components that are included.

I'll probably go for Vista Premium when the time comes, I have XP Professional at the moment but I can't really justify paying the extra for Ultimate, my networking needs are covered by Premium.

johno
17-Mar-07, 19:52
You can download a Microsoft advisor tool to check your PC/Drivers & Applications for Vista readiness.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

I have issues with a few programs that I use but on the whole most of my applications seem to work with Vista.

I've used Vista on my brothers laptop and I like it, I'd upgrade tomorrow if all of my applications would work, I really like all the WMC components that are included.

I'll probably go for Vista Premium when the time comes, I have XP Professional at the moment but I can't really justify paying the extra for Ultimate, my networking needs are covered by Premium.
hi colin, thanks for the reply, so in my shoes would you just download the vista ultimate[i have it here in the box anyway] or?

Colin Manson
17-Mar-07, 20:34
I'd run the upgrade checker and see if everything works on your system, if it does then I'd install Vista.

Some hardware drivers aren't updated yet and I know that there have been major issues with USB ADSL modems.

The only thing that is stopping my upgrade is my Neromix program (not vista compatable) that I use for converting my Music CDs to mp3s, I'll probably just move that program to another PC before I upgrade.

johno
17-Mar-07, 20:41
I'd run the upgrade checker and see if everything works on your system, if it does then I'd install Vista.

Some hardware drivers aren't updated yet and I know that there have been major issues with USB ADSL modems.

The only thing that is stopping my upgrade is my Neromix program (not vista compatable) that I use for converting my Music CDs to mp3s, I'll probably just move that program to another PC before I upgrade.
thanks colin i have run it but a message keeps popping up saying that it has found an error and if the scan does not work to uninstall the upgrade checker and install the latest one,??

Colin Manson
17-Mar-07, 20:46
Works fine for me, you could email Microsoft and ask if they know what the problem is.

BTW - I would never 'download' a copy of a Microsoft Operating System, pirate versions aren't worth the hassle. I'd just buy an OEM version with a piece of hardware.

johno
17-Mar-07, 22:56
Works fine for me, you could email Microsoft and ask if they know what the problem is.

BTW - I would never 'download' a copy of a Microsoft Operating System, pirate versions aren't worth the hassle. I'd just buy an OEM version with a piece of hardware. but i m not working copy,s the operating system xp was installed by the manufacturer of the pc. and the vista ultimate is a genuine version, still stumped?

Bobinovich
18-Mar-07, 00:25
Firstly where MS OS' are concerned it's usualy better waiting a good few months for the bugs to be resolved.

Secondly I've recently been able to compare two identical brand new PC's - one with XP SP2 the other with Vista Basic - the latter system was definately much slower and for no real benefit for a typical end-user as far as I can see.

johno
18-Mar-07, 10:26
Firstly where MS OS' are concerned it's usualy better waiting a good few months for the bugs to be resolved.

Secondly I've recently been able to compare two identical brand new PC's - one with XP SP2 the other with Vista Basic - the latter system was definately much slower and for no real benefit for a typical end-user as far as I can see.
thanks for the info,think i will wait a while before installing so the bugs can be ironed out. it,s not hurting anything in the box and it has,nt got a sell by date. cheer,s :cool:

octane
18-Mar-07, 15:20
Having done a load of beta testing for microsoft on the vista package i'd avoid it for at least a year until it smooths itself off. Probally 99% of the public don't even need it and it wont make any difference to what you are doing on your pc at the moment, such as browsing, gaming, and general documentation.

Because its a new product people automatically assume that its gonna lead to a better/trouble free computing life but it doesn't work like that.
I would advise NOT to go rushing out to either buy the operating system or upgrade your pc/laptop as of yet and to give it quite a bit of time for things to develop.

johno
18-Mar-07, 17:38
thanks to all, i have decided to wait after all. when the dust has settled and all the probs are ired out i,ll still have it and then i will rethink it.

:cool: thank.s all

johno
08-May-07, 23:27
thanks to all, i have decided to wait after all. when the dust has settled and all the probs are ired out i,ll still have it and then i will rethink it.

:cool: thank.s all
well i did install it and it was a complete nighmare.bother with modems,bother with routers. once it was on it was ok ,but getting it on ,two months trouble with it had it deleted and had xp reinstalled pc now works like a rolls royce.
i would,nt advise anyone to touch it with a barge pole

emb123
23-May-07, 13:45

Not had a play yet with Vista myself but will get round to it but you don't surprise me. Microsoft stopped writing compact software around about the time Windows 3.11 was written and have gradually gone downhill since then IMNSHO.

Windows NT 4.0 was probably about as good as they got although (Although I always had a soft spot for W98SE SP2). Windows NT 5.0 (normally known as Windows 2000) was a bit slicker and made a lot of changes particularly on the server side. Windows NT 5.1 (Windows XP) is little more than Windows 2000 running a desktop theme with a lot of animations switched on to slow the machine down.

Vista, despite the hype, makes very few fundamental changes to what you can do with the machine it just adds more prettiness - at a cost of speed and adds further Extra Terrestrial (E.T.) style invasions of privacy ("PC phone home") with the operating system further interacting with Microsoft's servers across the internet.

Microsoft appear to be slowly catching up with stuff that was happening in X-Windows (under Linux) 7 years ago and more, but they're not there yet. They do add the benefit of providing something like halfway decent tech support unlike Linux (on the whole) and their software consequently is a little more polished (on the whole) but it costs money to do this, and it sacrifices PC performance in huge great dollops. Microsoft's solution to this slowdown has always been to throw better hardware at it rather than to write more efficient and therefore more compact code.

Bobinovich
23-May-07, 16:44
Very eloquently put EMB! Something I have noticed with Vista is that Microsoft have changed (for no obvious reason) many of the naming conventions which they have been using since Windows 95 and before. For instance the old faithful Outlook Express has become Windows Mail!! Purpose? None IMHO. The 'My' tags as in My Documents, My Computer, etc. have been dropped, which may seem trivial but then what would the harm have been in leaving them?

Also, the Start button (now just a Windows logo) has what looks like a Shut Down button on but is actually a Sleep button. The Shut Down facility is 2 more clicks away, hidden on a sub-menu. WHY!!!

Suffice to say for the vast majority of users Vista is not really a worthwhile upgrade - especially if your PC doesn't have the latest specifications. If you buy a new Vista system then you're going to have to get used to these changes.

Call me backwards but I for one will be sticking with my stable XP platform for the forseeable future!

NickInTheNorth
23-May-07, 17:06
I've totally given up on microsoft operating systems, just not worth the money. I use Ubuntu linux, and have had a totally trouble free computing life for the last 18 month since I finally went microsoft free.

Best move I ever made, more stable, more configurable to how I want it, far more secure, and best of all it's free :D

emb123
23-May-07, 17:28
Good for you Nick!

I use Debian Linux myself on a fairly regular basis although I rate Ubuntu and particularly Kubuntu (I've always liked KDE) very highly. I installed it on a friend's mum's PC (she was a retired lady and not especially interested in computers and not technically minded) and if there had not been a problem getting hold of a driver for her nasty Lexmark win-printer she'd probably still be using it.

I still think Linux is not quite there for everybody as the driver database, whilst huge, is still not quite comprehensive enough and it requires a bit more of screwdriver approach than MS Windows to get all the hardware working but if you have an older PC or have made sure that all your hardware will be supported then Ubuntu is probably the most approachable distribution out there. (or Kubuntu!!)

jekyll n hyde
29-May-07, 18:35
Im current running vista ultimate and apart from a few teething problems as you expect with any new op system...ie not alot of hardware and software caught up etc....i find the system nice and smooth....i admit takes a bit of getting used to from xp.....and still got alot to learn bout....but that best bit.....just got to remember that you defo got to have loads of memory.....it aint all that bad honest;)