PDA

View Full Version : broadband in the country

mwg
16-Apr-05, 01:07
could somebody tell me why i cant recieve broadband in the castletown area i live exactly 2.9 miles as the cable goes from the exchange and if i cant get it what is the point of enabling all the rural exchanges as no one else will get it either!!!!!!!!!!!! [mad]

NickInTheNorth
16-Apr-05, 09:20
Are you certain that your exchange is getting broadband enabled? Many people believe that ALL exchanges are getting enabled but that isn't so.

The Scottish Exec have made a commitment to providing access to broadband for all communities in scotland, the majority will be provided by BT exchanges, but for the smaller and more remote exchanges BT seem to have decided that it is uneconomic or technically impossible to make provision. Therefore the exec have put in place a scheme to cover these areas. How it is to be done no-one is yet saying, but I understand that there will be an announcement in the next few weeks about broadband provision by other means.

Watch this space...

Brizer2k2
16-Apr-05, 10:13
Enter your telephone number into this website and it will tell you

www.btwholesale.com/adslchecker/

Brizer2k2
16-Apr-05, 10:22
There is a scheme down in the south of England for rural areas which can't get normal BT Broadband access.

They install wireless access points.

see this website. this may be what they will have to do in Scotland too.

http://www.avanti-broadband.com/

Fifi
16-Apr-05, 10:32
I'm in Castletown and we have broadband! Our service provider is Wanadoo via a standard BT line so can't see why you can't get it.

Go and kick some ass with BT customer service 'cos we had no joy with one individual when we had line problems one day but on the next call got someone who bent over backwards to help.