PDA

View Full Version : Second hand tyres

sam09
14-Aug-14, 19:14
Second hand tyres can invalidate your car insurance. There seems to be a lot of people selling second hand tyres privately. Be really careful as these tyres are not professionally checked as to safety, you will have no clear idea of history as to the tyres except what the seller tells you. You could be buying an accident waiting to happen. In my opinion do not buy unless the tyres are certified by a professional tester as to their safety.

Heisenberg
14-Aug-14, 20:22
What absolute nonsense! As long as your tyres are in roadworthy condition, ie; 1.6mm tread over min 75% of tread width and without sidewall damage etc they are legal, irrespective of how many owners they have had, or how many vehicles they have been fitted to. Who told you this nonsense? Was he trying to sell you new tyres?

Kodiak
14-Aug-14, 23:55
A good place to get new tyres from is http://blackcircles.com they are quite reasonable and they get fitted locally.

john harrold
15-Aug-14, 06:42
A good place to get new tyres from is http://blackcircles.com they are quite reasonable and they get fitted locally.

This site for Tyres no delivery charges www.openeo.co.uk good prices.

sam09
15-Aug-14, 12:55
What absolute nonsense! As long as your tyres are in roadworthy condition, ie; 1.6mm tread over min 75% of tread width and without sidewall damage etc they are legal, irrespective of how many owners they have had, or how many vehicles they have been fitted to. Who told you this nonsense? Was he trying to sell you new tyres?

Heisenberg, the reason for the post is quite simple, I recently bought what I was assured by the seller was a good set of alloy wheels with tyres that where in great order and had never been damaged only to have a blow out on the motorway in two of the so called great order tyres.

Heisenberg
15-Aug-14, 14:39
Heisenberg, the reason for the post is quite simple, I recently bought what I was assured by the seller was a good set of alloy wheels with tyres that where in great order and had never been damaged only to have a blow out on the motorway in two of the so called great order tyres. I think 'buyer beware' applies here. If you are buying secondhand tyres it is up to you to assess the remaining life, and safety of them, if you are not competent to do this, take along someone who is. If not buy new tyres. However it is not illegal to fit second hand tyres to your car, nor will it invalidate your insurance. If the tyres were not legal then you should not have fitted them.

sam09
15-Aug-14, 17:07
Heisenbergd, I think you should check with your insurance company, they will not cover you unless tyres are professionally certified. Can you tell what age the tyres are or if they have been repaired or damaged? This was a post to caution any-one contemplating buying second hand tyres, not too start an argument about competency, and no where did I say that it was illegal to fit second hand tyres.

budgeJ
15-Aug-14, 17:50
Heisenberg, the reason for the post is quite simple, I recently bought what I was assured by the seller was a good set of alloy wheels with tyres that where in great order and had never been damaged only to have a blow out on the motorway in two of the so called great order tyres.

Sounds more like you were going to fast for the rated speed of the tyres. That's the most common reasons for a blow out on a motorway.

Heisenberg
15-Aug-14, 19:08
Heisenbergd, I think you should check with your insurance company, they will not cover you unless tyres are professionally certified. Can you tell what age the tyres are or if they have been repaired or damaged? This was a post to caution any-one contemplating buying second hand tyres, not too start an argument about competency, and no where did I say that it was illegal to fit second hand tyres. yes I can tell if a tyre has been damaged or repaired (this is more obvious the more worn the tyre is). The age of a tyre is irrelevant, I have tyres on a rack in my garage that are over 15 year old that are as good as new, and some on some on a vehicle parked up in the sun light that are 4 year old but are all perished. AND fitting secondhand tyres to your car has nothing to do with insurance. What happens if I fit secondhand brake discs and callipers, or a secondhand steering rack, or any other secondhand part. There are however regulations for the trade selling of part worn tyres that you may be getting confused with.

Xenophon
15-Aug-14, 19:33
Heisenbergd, I think you should check with your insurance company, they will not cover you unless tyres are professionally certified. Can you tell what age the tyres are or if they have been repaired or damaged? This was a post to caution any-one contemplating buying second hand tyres, not too start an argument about competency, and no where did I say that it was illegal to fit second hand tyres.

It might be hard not to appear to start an argument about competency, but there are a few things that do need saying. My post is not intended to antagonise, but there does appear to be some confusion as well as a lack of knowledge on your part.

Firstly, I have no idea what a professionally certified tyre might be and no insurer issues any such condition. What they do have to say is that tyres must meet and be in accordance with the car manufacturer's specifications and are in a roadworthy condition. Insurers are only likely to quibble if you fail to notify them in the event of a claim when different tyre and wheel sizes and construction (alloy or steel) are fitted. The Association of British Insurers has a list of which insurers need notification of winter tyres being fitted (a very small list) and as a general rule of thumb, that's about it as far as the insurers are concerned; if in doubt contact your own insurer and ask. It's only failure to notify after the event that is where it all gets a bit fraught.

As for the age of tyres, they all have a date code on the sidewall, four figures long, the first two numbers are the week and the last two the year of manufacture, ie 2609 will be the 26th week of 2009.

As for damage and repair, this is an area where damage ought to be immediately obvious; bulging sidewalls, cracked and deteriorated rubber, excessive and uneven wear, huge gouges, exposed cords etc. Repairs are not something that can really be bodged, as with tubeless tyres any puncture is most likely to be repaired on the inside of the tyre and not visible; unless you break the bead and have the tyre off the rim to inspect, you'd be none the wiser in any case.

As far as your own particular difficulties are concerned, I have no idea whether your tyres were inflated correctly or not, whether you have the right speed and load rating on the tyres for your particular vehicle, what the conditions you were driving in were like, whether you collected any debris on the m-way and possibly a whole host of other factors that could possibly arise.

What I will say is that as tempting as it may be to connect your purchase of some tyres with your blowout you have to accept your responsibility in purchasing the wheels in the first place. I say this as I assume that you were perfectly happy with them right up until the moment when you weren't and unless you purchased and fitted them on the hard shoulder of the motorway then you had some time with them to assess. I make no comment upon the vendor as he might be as clueless as the next person when it comes to tyres, and therefore had not specifically set out to shaft you.

It really is a case of buyer beware and doing due diligence. I would put this down to a learning experience and knowing better the next time.

If you're still unsure about the tyres then I will be happy to come along and have a look and show you what's what so you'll know better next time.

Heisenberg
15-Aug-14, 19:59
yes I can tell if a tyre has been damaged or repaired (this is more obvious the more worn the tyre is). The age of a tyre is irrelevant, I have tyres on a rack in my garage that are over 15 year old that are as good as new, and some on some on a vehicle parked up in the sun light that are 4 year old but are all perished. AND fitting secondhand tyres to your car has nothing to do with insurance. What happens if I fit secondhand brake discs and callipers, or a secondhand steering rack, or any other secondhand part. There are however regulations for the trade selling of part worn tyres that you may be getting confused with. http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/part-worn-tyres/part-worn-tyres-and-the-law

sam09
15-Aug-14, 21:09
www.myinsuranceweb.co.uk/ Have a look here. We can all use google. No I was not driving fast (65mph) or I would not be here to post this. As I said I bought four wheels with tyres and was assured by the seller that they were in great condition with no previous repairs, I inspected the tyres and they did not appear to be damaged in any way with good tread. I had the tyres removed from the rims after the accident, and they had numerous patches on the inside of both. Admittedly I maybe should have had them taken off the rims before driving on them but I took the sellers word as to previous repairs.

Even so called reputable second hand tyre dealers get it wrong.

Heisenberg
15-Aug-14, 21:31
Your still not getting it sam , are you. The site you refer to (and page). http://www.myinsuranceweb.co.uk/drivers-should-tread-carefully-with-part-worn-tyres/#more-736. Does not anywhere state that 'fittiing secondhand tyres to your car may invalidate your insurance' it does say that fitting 'defective' tyres may invalidate your insurance. Did you buy your wheels and tyres from a reputable secondhand tyre dealer? If so you may have a case against them if the tyres were not marked 'part worn' in letters over 4mm in height. But if not and the tyres were legal, they were not defective.

sam09
16-Aug-14, 14:42
Your still not getting it sam , are you. The site you refer to (and page). http://www.myinsuranceweb.co.uk/drivers-should-tread-carefully-with-part-worn-tyres/#more-736. Does not anywhere state that 'fittiing secondhand tyres to your car may invalidate your insurance' it does say that fitting 'defective' tyres may invalidate your insurance. Did you buy your wheels and tyres from a reputable secondhand tyre dealer? If so you may have a case against them if the tyres were not marked 'part worn' in letters over 4mm in height. But if not and the tyres were legal, they were not defective.

Heisenberg, please read my original post, with your eyes and not your mouth. I said " private sellers" In no way could the tyres I purchased fitted to the wheels could be checked for internal defects without removing the tyres from the wheels. I foolishly took the PRIVATE sellers word that there had been no repairs to the tyres, which turned out to be false, and I nearly lost my life. The reason for the post was to alert anyone considering buying second hand tyres was to warn of the possible consequences. Not for forum trolls to talk their usual crap.

Heisenberg
16-Aug-14, 17:55
Second hand tyres can invalidate your car insurance. There seems to be a lot of people selling second hand tyres privately. Be really careful as these tyres are not professionally checked as to safety, you will have no clear idea of history astyre to the tyres except what the seller tells you. You could be buying an accident waiting to happen. In my opinion do not buy unless the tyres are certified by a professional tester as to their safety.For ease of reference sam09, I have quoted using your original post. Let's start with the first line "second hand tyres can invalidate your car insurance", this is incorrect! Then you say " there seems to be a lot of people selling second hand tyres privately" nowhere in the post do you even say you purchased tyres let alone privately or secondhand! I could rip the rest of the post apart, but I won't as I believe you meant well by posting what you believed to be a warning, however your post quoted above, and subsequent post in this thread just go to show your lack of knowledge of the subject, and your bitterness at having been, in your opinion, 'ripped off'! If we take your advice as true then you would not be able to purchase a secondhand car unless it was fitted with new tyres, or the secondhand tyres fitted to it were certified.I find your last post quite insulting, I'm sorry if you think me a troll, I can assure you I am not talking crap, someone else is doing that on this occasion.

sam09
17-Aug-14, 15:22
Originally Posted by official government website
By law, it is illegal to supply a part-worn tyre that is capable of being fitted to a motor vehicle or trailer unless certain conditions are met regarding specific markings and the general condition

heisenberg. the whole purpose of my post was to warn other orgers of the danger of buying second hand tyres, I credit orgers with the intelligence to google this information and decide for themselves. Which apparently you don`t. Even the professionals get it wrong and there are too many unscrupulous sellers selling unsafe used tyres too take a chance.
In my own opinion, I would not again fit used tyres to my car whether the tyres are certified (stamped accordingly) or not and after my experience would have any tyres on any second hand car I bought taken too a tyre centre and removed and checked. www.rospa.com › check here heisenberg about your so called safe 15 year old tyres that you consider safe.

I still consider you a troll.

smithp
17-Aug-14, 15:29
So don't tell them, or am I being thick at stating the obvious? I've read this thread and if you don't point it out how are you going to know. I've had motorway blowouts on really good tyres, so you could just be unlucky. .

sam09
17-Aug-14, 16:05
So don't tell them, or am I being thick at stating the obvious? I've read this thread and if you don't point it out how are you going to know. I've had motorway blowouts on really good tyres, so you could just be unlucky. .

smithp. I agree that I had probably not put enough detail in my original post about the wheels and tyres I purchased, I credited orgers to check information about the dangers of buying used tyres for themselves. To clarify: I bought four second hand wheels with tyres from a private seller, he assured me that they had never been damaged or repaired. I checked them for myself and they appeared to be in the condition the seller told me. (6mm tread) After I had the blows out on the motorway the tyres had been repaired contrary to what I had been told by the seller which the examiner said could have contributed to the accident. I was not driving at high speed and road conditions were good, no debris on road.

mi16
17-Aug-14, 16:09
Sam09, if the seller purposely told you a lie regarding the repair then he was being naughty however there is no reason why a plugged tyre cannot be used on the road for the remainder of the tyres useful life..
You also state the examiner stated it COULD have been a factor in the accident, not the it WAS a factor, there is a very big difference between the two.
As with buying anything 2nd hand it is the purchasers responsibility to make themselves happy with the purchase.

Heisenberg
17-Aug-14, 17:36
Well sam09, It is not illegal to fit secondhand tyres to your car! Your insurance will not be invalid if you do. It is not illegal for a private seller to sell part worn tyres unchecked or un certified. It is illegal for a tyre dealer, selling part worn tyres to sell said tyres unmarked. See if you can wrap your head around these FACTS.I really don't mind being called a troll, if you have nothing new to say, best not say anything.

sam09
17-Aug-14, 18:26
Well sam09, It is not illegal to fit secondhand tyres to your car! Your insurance will not be invalid if you do. It is not illegal for a private seller to sell part worn tyres unchecked or un certified. It is illegal for a tyre dealer, selling part worn tyres to sell said tyres unmarked. See if you can wrap your head around these FACTS.I really don't mind being called a troll, if you have nothing new to say, best not say anything.

heisenberg. No-where did I say fitting second hand tyres was illegal. Nowhere did I say fitting second hand tyres WILL invalidate your insurance. I said, could invalidate your insurance. Nowhere did I say it is illegal for a private seller to sell part worn tyres unchecked or otherwise. My advise was simply , to buy tyres that have been certified as checked by a professional tyre fitter/expert and not to rely solely on what a private seller tells you or what appears to you the buyer to be as described.

What about your 15 year old tyres? Do still think they are safe and useable?

Heisenberg
17-Aug-14, 18:49
heisenberg. No-where did I say fitting second hand tyres was illegal. Nowhere did I say fitting second hand tyres WILL invalidate your insurance. I said, could invalidate your insurance. Nowhere did I say it is illegal for a private seller to sell part worn tyres unchecked or otherwise. My advise was simply , to buy tyres that have been certified as checked by a professional tyre fitter/expert and not to rely solely on what a private seller tells you or what appears to you the buyer to be as described.What about your 15 year old tyres? Do still think they are safe and useable?oh dear sam you are having a hard time, aren't you. You might have said could, but in truth it can't. It is with anything purchased privately a straight forward case of 'caveat emptor'. Now stop being bitter and twisted and get over feeling ripped off, cos ya wasn't ok! Time for me to bounce. Oh one more thing my 15 year old tyres, I said they were as 'good as new' not 'safe and useable', and I'm not selling them. I believe I should now say "read with your eyes and not your mouth". Bounce

Heisenberg
17-Aug-14, 18:50
Whoops appear to have double posted. Bounce

mi16
17-Aug-14, 20:17
bounce, you sound more like Jesse than Heisenberg

Heisenberg
17-Aug-14, 20:38
bounce, you sound more like Jesse than Heisenberg Say my name!

sam09
17-Aug-14, 23:21
oh dear sam you are having a hard time, aren't you. You might have said could, but in truth it can't. It is with anything purchased privately a straight forward case of 'caveat emptor'. Now stop being bitter and twisted and get over feeling ripped off, cos ya wasn't ok! Time for me to bounce. Oh one more thing my 15 year old tyres, I said they were as 'good as new' not 'safe and useable', and I'm not selling them. I believe I should now say "read with your eyes and not your mouth". Bounce

heisenberg. Bitter? not a bit, I have no-one to blame but myself. Twisted? not a bit (unless you count the injuries received in the accident Nice of you to enquire. Not.) Good as new would imply fit for use. You take a post about buying second hand tyres and twist it to get some sort of sad kick out of it. Get a life you sad person.

Heisenberg
18-Aug-14, 08:41
heisenberg. Bitter? not a bit, I have no-one to blame but myself. Twisted? not a bit (unless you count the injuries received in the accident Nice of you to enquire. Not.) Good as new would imply fit for use. You take a post about buying second hand tyres and twist it to get some sort of sad kick out of it. Get a life you sad person.Really? Well it appears you win the argument we weren't having and I'm just a sad troll. I didn't ask about your injuries cos you didn't mention them, just like every thing else you didn't mention until you thought it would score you points. You have it your way and I'll have it mine.