PDA

View Full Version : Where would you live?

D Edge
15-Apr-05, 18:38
Just wondering if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

katarina
15-Apr-05, 20:31
Majorca. Short flight home to UK and family. Beautiful island. British communities but not overdone like on mainland Spain.

lassieinfife
15-Apr-05, 21:19
Cyprus for me lovely island friendly people plenty sunshine :cool:

Brizer2k2
15-Apr-05, 21:26
Switzerland................such a clean and beautiful place.

I know this gorgeous girl who lives here in Fribourg - http://www.fr.ch/ville-fribourg/presentation/default.asp

gleeber
15-Apr-05, 21:55
Thursos choost great but if the lottery came up somewhere around Bettyhill would be my paradise.

KitKat
15-Apr-05, 22:26
A house overlooking Cogee Beach, Sydney, Australia ......

Come to think of it a house overlooking ANY beach in Australia.....

Failing that maybe one overlooking REISS beach would do....

katarina
16-Apr-05, 00:07
Or maybe Stroma if I could afford a helecopter to take me back to the mainland when ever I so desired.

ironic_clans
16-Apr-05, 12:16
Definitely Jasper , British Columbia in Canada

Rheghead
16-Apr-05, 15:23
A touristless English Lake District for me, overlooking Coniston Water.

Anne_Mas
16-Apr-05, 15:51
LOL don't know why ya all would move away - I'd fancy a nice house on Caithness ground somewhere near the beach at the mo. Maybe not so good idea [lol] ?

~~Tides~~
16-Apr-05, 18:13
The magic villiage of Dunbeath is ma all time dream destination. I would love to own Loch Dhu hotel or Dalnawhinnan Lodge. That is the most beautiful part of the world for me.

Kenn
16-Apr-05, 22:10
Upper Gills where I could be stunned by the view to The Orkneys and wonder whether those blue islands really are Westerness and if the seals that roam the bay really are the spirits of lost sea men.Well we can all dream!

Speyside
16-Apr-05, 23:32
Anywhere in Caithness is fine with me (preferably with a view of the North Sea)!

gleeber
16-Apr-05, 23:44
Upper Gills where I could be stunned by the view to The Orkneys and wonder whether those blue islands really are Westerness and if the seals that roam the bay really are the spirits of lost sea men.Well we can all dream!

I've never heard them called the blue islands before Lizz but its so apt.

ade
17-Apr-05, 14:53
I would live in caithness as all the other places are to far from HOME :D

greeneyes
18-Apr-05, 09:46
I would live in Australia as i was born and want to go back one day to the lovely beaches and of course the sun.

Donnie
18-Apr-05, 11:51
Somewhere in Japan, probably Tokyo.

mike.mckenzie
18-Apr-05, 12:07
Berlin, the most inspiring city I've ever been to. And the trains are fantastic! Going to go for the 3rd time in a year and a half before the year is out!

squidge
18-Apr-05, 12:46
I remember my dad coming back from Berlin Mike. This was in 1974 or thereabouts. The pics he had of East berlin stayed in my mind - it was all soo still looking and grey.

Personally i would live in Arnamurchan. Somewhere between Camus nan gael and Glenborrodale would suit me just fine.

Rheghead
18-Apr-05, 13:28
Camus nan gael

Hmmm that sounds interesting, according to my limited Gaelic that means 'Bullet making mould of the Gaels'?

Has it got a history of armoury and bullet making?

scotsboy
18-Apr-05, 13:40
If I had enough money I would not live in any single place but base myself in several. Having lived and worked in Australia (albeit for a relatively short time) I would love to have a base there, probably on the east coast somewhere – although those Sydney traditional townhouses are very cool. Not only is the climate great, the people have a wonderful outlook on life and are incredibly positive.
I also love New York and fancy having a loft apartment in Manhattan.
In Scotland I would have a cottage on the west coast somewhere between Oban and Ullapool, looking out to sea, and a city centre flat in Glasgow.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Apr-05, 22:44
Money no object I would build a big house by the thurso river somewhere quiet(as long as I could get fishing rights with it) And a house on an uninhabited island along the north coast somewhere up near bettyhill or tongue. But I would still have my house where I am at the moment, I might get the road tarred though and build an extension and use my new houses for a change of scenery every now and then

daviddd
18-Apr-05, 23:03
yes, Majorca for me too - Porto Pollensa - nice weather, great bike rides, cheap food and wine, did I mention the sunshine?? Oh and loadsa nice places to eat - and it's sunny!!

philupmaboug
18-Apr-05, 23:39
Just living is great, but been to Tokyo and Donnie is right it is a fantastic place, loads of culture, religion and respect. Wow I would miss Wick....not.

jamddewie
19-Apr-05, 13:55
Here would be rather nice....... ;)
http://www.tourismnoosa.com.au/

Fran
22-Apr-05, 02:03
my first choice would be Cala Bona in Majorca. If I could get a job there I would be off. Second choice would be Alcudia in Majorca, both on the north side of the island. Third choice Llandudno which i like very much and lastly, inverness., but i think I will stay in Caithness!!!

gravedigga
22-Apr-05, 02:27
Maldives for me

htwood
22-Apr-05, 04:59
I like the area where I live, but if I won the biggest lottery, I would have several places to stay depending on the season. A summer hut on the granite island of Skarholmen Norway, where you have to catch rainwater to wash your clothes, and you catch your breakfast in the sea outside the front door. Maybe a place to swim near Melvich Bay. For the winter, a beach shack on the north shore of Kauai where I could climb the trees for fruit. And a cozy windproof house on a northern California seacliff. And my friends would be welcome any time.
Fun to dream. -Helen

scotsboy
22-Apr-05, 09:06
Maldives for me

Beautiful place. Did you hear the story of the German Tourist who was "sentenced" to life on one of the remote islands for the murder of his girlfriend - they went to let him go after 10 years or so and he said no thanks, I'm quite happy :lol:

hugh ross
22-Apr-05, 15:31
Rheghead wrote
squidge wrote:
Camus nan gael

Hmmm that sounds interesting, according to my limited Gaelic that means 'Bullet making mould of the Gaels'?

Camus could be Camas (Bay) havent heard of it
Maybe it was Camas nan Geall ( Bay of pledges ??) .

gravedigga
22-Apr-05, 16:15
Maldives for me

Beautiful place. Did you hear the story of the German Tourist who was "sentenced" to life on one of the remote islands for the murder of his girlfriend - they went to let him go after 10 years or so and he said no thanks, I'm quite happy :lol:

I'd be e same i reckon, lol

DrSzin
22-Apr-05, 19:18
I would also have several places to stay depending on the season.

I would be Gleeber's neighbour in Bettyhill, and htwood's neighbour on the north shore of Kauai: I would be the guardian of Lumaha'i Beach (http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/beaches/lumahai_beach.html) where I once spent a few hours early on a brilliantly sunny morning in May -- there was almost no-one else there, it was ab fab. :D

I'd also have a big house in or near Thurso, one somewhere along the "Road to the Isles", and spacious flats in Edinburgh, London, New York, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Boston, San Francisco, ... Gawd, I am sooo greedy. Oh yes, I mustn't forget the apartments in Courchevel, somewhere in the mountains near Salt Lake City, somewhere in the Canadian Rockies (Banff?), ..., Lanzarote, Monte Carlo, ...

Never been to Majorca or Oz, so I guess I had better try them out too. The same goes for Barcelona and Madrid.

Not sure about Tokyo though. There are nice bits, but it is soooo big, and so much of it is boring and non-descript. I would have nightmares about being chased by giant tofu. Kyoto is so much nicer and not far as the Shinkansen flies.

Of course, I would also need to have the right person to share these places with. :D

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Apr-05, 02:53
This is a bit cryptic, but the town in Rod Serling's (Twilight Zone) "Walking Distance." Work it out if you can be bothered.

~~Tides~~
24-Apr-05, 19:49
Where do you all go to meet these famous people, I dont think ive met one yet! Appart from seeing HRH the price Edinburgh and the Queen here in 2002.

katarina
24-Apr-05, 20:52
like szin I would like to have many different holiday homes, but my home base would always be the highlands of Scotland.

squidge
25-Apr-05, 10:51
Rheghead wrote
squidge wrote:
Camus nan gael

Camus could be Camas (Bay) havent heard of it
Maybe it was Camas nan Geall ( Bay of pledges ??) .

Im not sure how you spell it - its a wee bay further up the coast from Glenborrodale.

Ardnamurchan has part of me - its in my heart. I have visited it as a child, teenager, wife, mother, and now on my own again. When i go back there its like visiting an old friend. I look out over loch sunart and feel at home.

Setanta
26-Apr-05, 09:34
Spain around Alicante area or Valencia. Sunshine, warmth and only a little rain. Love the Spannish attitude towards family and children. :lol:
Short trip back here when you want to as well.

ktb50
26-Apr-05, 13:15
British Virgin Isles....

A beautiful place, get a large boat and sail around fishing all day

Rheghead
26-Apr-05, 14:22
British Virgin Isles....

Is there any left? :roll:

codex
27-Apr-05, 02:01
Whats wrong with the homes you all have?

Id live in wick

Id go back to papigoe/Staxigoe n boot out all the trouble making newcomers
An make it the nice place it was when i lived there as a bairn

Rheghead
27-Apr-05, 09:01
What sort of trouble has been made in Staxigoe and Papigoe by newcomers?

stekar
05-May-05, 23:26
Caithness

And I'm not a trouble making newcomer :confused

garycs
06-May-05, 12:05
Always wanted to live in Caithness ever since visiting as a young lad and then coming back for our honeymoon 14 years ago. Open spaces, beautiful beaches and some of the most friendly and relaxed people in the UK :D

Currently live in the Lake District National (theme) Park, can't afford to buy property (£285k for a 3 bed terrace) so have to rent from a local estate, takes 40 minutes to drive 6 miles to the supermarket, buses run to calender rather than a timetable; too many Nimbies complaining about everything from fireworks, low flying, wind power, power cables, motorbikes and even the colour of a childs climbing frame in a private garden [mad]

You might class me as a newcomer, although I was a home-birth at Bettyhill and lived there until I was 2 years old. Don't intend causing trouble and don't expect time to stand still just for my benefit :D

sassylass
08-May-05, 04:44
This is a bit cryptic, but the town in Rod Serling's (Twilight Zone) "Walking Distance." Work it out if you can be bothered.

gosh, as much fun as I had in my childhood, I wouldn't want to go back...

if I could live anywhere, I suppose it would be on Vancouver Island BC for the summer months, and in winter I'd like a nice condo with indoor plumbing on Kauai, so I could visit my sis in her little grass shack.

Playgirl
11-May-05, 16:48
Id live in the Caribbean in Jamaica its lovely