PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Neil's stark warning

piratelassie
13-Aug-14, 10:50
Devolution, The Calman Commission, The Scotland Bill, The Edinburgh Agreement, all of this and more you have is because Westminster parties are scared of the SNP. If you vote no you massively change the balance of power and they will not give you nothing but will proberbly take the power away from the Scottish Parlament. Andrew Neil [BBC] on Scottish Independence.

golach
13-Aug-14, 11:21
Devolution, The Calman Commission, The Scotland Bill, The Edinburgh Agreement, all of this and more you have is because Westminster parties are scared of the SNP. If you vote no you massively change the balance of power and they will not give you nothing but will proberbly take the power away from the Scottish Parlament. Andrew Neil [BBC] on Scottish Independence.Oh I am feart, yawn

PantsMAN
13-Aug-14, 14:48
Westminster has absolute power; I fully expect a considerable backlash against Scotland if the NO campaign proves to have been successful.
I hope I am wrong but that's the one risk I am not prepared to take. Remember the basic tactic of NO, "do not enter into any discussions about what may be the situation after Scottish Independence, but continually question the YES supporters about what may be the situation after Scottish Independence".
BTW, as Andrew Neil attended Paisley Grammar School, I am sure he may have stated the point above in a more eloquent manner - but the sentiment would be the same!

rob murray
13-Aug-14, 16:11
Couple of interesting points made last night on ANdrew Neils programme : apart from the almost endless permutations of dont knows, what is emerging is a yes vote will cause a lot of damaging collateral : Lord Trimble ex Ulster head of gov made a shivering point, a smaller UK ( whaterever it will be called ) will have a knock on effect on Ireland ie spur on campaigns for a united Ireland : given massive Ulster Scots in West of Scotland / Ulster unionsits...well... we are steering into potenially a scary scenario !!!

PantsMAN
13-Aug-14, 16:23
Couple of interesting points made last night on ANdrew Neils programme : apart from the almost endless permutations of dont knows, what is emerging is a yes vote will cause a lot of damaging collateral : Lord Trimble ex Ulster head of gov made a shivering point, a smaller UK ( whaterever it will be called ) will have a knock on effect on Ireland ie spur on campaigns for a united Ireland : given massive Ulster Scots in West of Scotland / Ulster unionsits...well... we are steering into potenially a scary scenario !!!

Bit like a recent letter in the Herald which said "Political implosion of the UK would devastate global economy" as the result of a YES vote. The writer stated that "A Yes vote in the referendum will cause a flight of capital from the banking system, a drop in the value of sterling, and financial chaos here. The political implosion of the UK, the world's sixth economic power, would send a tsunami through the international economy and financial markets" and ended by saying " it has the potential to destroy our livelihoods. Frankly, I am scared to death."

And the NOs are harping on about the pound !

Personally I think a YES vote would open the door to an alien invasion and the end of the Universe. (Makes as much sense as some of the other tripe.)

squidge
13-Aug-14, 17:12

Im not sure from your post Rob whether you think the scary situation is here or in Ireland.

AS far as Northern Ireland is concerned I think it is unlikley that Independence for Scotland will cause massive problems in Northern Ireland. Contrary to Scotland, Northern Ireland has much clearer rules about when a referendum can be called. Also those that support a united Ireland know that the economic situation is not right and hasnt been for a long time. It isnt likely to be so for some time yet and so the drive for a referendum is not likely to be pushed by Irish Nationalists. There is however always the argument that Northern Ireland teeters on the brink of violence and conflict and many of a range of issues could drag it down into a resutgence of the troubles. It behoves both the UK and Eire Governments to monitro the situation closely. There is however no evidence that the debate is stoking these fires just now.

If you are referring to a scary scenario in Scotland then I think you are massively wrong. There has been absolutely no evidence of violence or armed conflict in the debate so far and we should be congratulating ourselves on that. The suggestion that there is a massive number of Ulster Scots or Ulster unionists in the West of Scotland is, I think a bit of an overstatement. The membership of the Orange lodge stands at 50 000 or thereabouts and there appears to be no inclination for violent retribution by those of Protestant Irish descent. We can point to numpties on some of the grubbier facebook pages or websites like Britain first who suggest that they miight pick up a weapon to defend Scotland from a democratic decision but there is no evidence at all of any sort of plan or serious suggestion of armed conflict. There are numpties on both sides and we do well not to give them house room or worry about them too much.

Rheghead
13-Aug-14, 17:38
And the prize for the dumbest thing that was said this week is Willie Rennie msp saying that if we vote Yes then we can say goodbye to more powers in devolution. :eek:

What are these people on? :roll:

Rheghead
13-Aug-14, 17:44

Presuming Mr Trimble believes in democracy then he will accept a referendum to unite Ireland. If he doesn't believe in democracy then he has no business commenting on this democratic process for Scottish independence.

sids
13-Aug-14, 22:46
he has no business commenting

Do people ever say that to you?

Rheghead
13-Aug-14, 23:03
Do people ever say that to you?

No I don't think they have. I believe in democracy.

rob murray
14-Aug-14, 13:35
Im not sure from your post Rob whether you think the scary situation is here or in Ireland.

AS far as Northern Ireland is concerned I think it is unlikley that Independence for Scotland will cause massive problems in Northern Ireland. Contrary to Scotland, Northern Ireland has much clearer rules about when a referendum can be called. Also those that support a united Ireland know that the economic situation is not right and hasnt been for a long time. It isnt likely to be so for some time yet and so the drive for a referendum is not likely to be pushed by Irish Nationalists. There is however always the argument that Northern Ireland teeters on the brink of violence and conflict and many of a range of issues could drag it down into a resutgence of the troubles. It behoves both the UK and Eire Governments to monitro the situation closely. There is however no evidence that the debate is stoking these fires just now.

If you are referring to a scary scenario in Scotland then I think you are massively wrong. There has been absolutely no evidence of violence or armed conflict in the debate so far and we should be congratulating ourselves on that. The suggestion that there is a massive number of Ulster Scots or Ulster unionists in the West of Scotland is, I think a bit of an overstatement. The membership of the Orange lodge stands at 50 000 or thereabouts and there appears to be no inclination for violent retribution by those of Protestant Irish descent. We can point to numpties on some of the grubbier facebook pages or websites like Britain first who suggest that they miight pick up a weapon to defend Scotland from a democratic decision but there is no evidence at all of any sort of plan or serious suggestion of armed conflict. There are numpties on both sides and we do well not to give them house room or worry about them too much.

Here and in Ulster / Ireland : yes I accept that there has been absolutely no evidence of violence or armed conflict in the debate so far : you are wrong however, there is a mass of passionate ulster scots / unionists in west of scotland or people who see themselves as Ulster Scots ie historic unity with their forebearers who settled in Ulster and there are recent previous proven links with the troubles : Trimble raised points that he saw emerging post yes situation, ie as he see's it, given he is an ex senior Ulster politician, I have no doubts that he was speaking with a degree of informed sincerity. As you very correctly highlight Northern Ireland teeters on the brink of violence and conflict and many of a range of issues could drag it down into a resurgence of the troubles, still one can argue its thier situation !. Anyway, anything that will kick off is by nature extremist and we wont see anything happening until post yes and see how the many variables implode. If its a yes vote its not as simple as people make things out to be, I was genuinely shocked by scenarios highlighted in the programme, enough to say that I didnt know the half of what could happen, its the first time on TV a genuine informed analysis of the issues a post yes vote would bring, and its a very complex situation, simplified, dummed down and largley avoided by the yessers. After all we can sort it all out post, yes eh !!