PDA

View Full Version : Getting married

the original ducky
16-Mar-07, 19:54
hello everyone hope you are all well. i was just wondering does anyoe have any tales about when they got married to there other half. where was it and how long ago. thanks hannah xx

Froggie
16-Mar-07, 20:08
I got married in 1999, and decided that I never want to put myself through that stress ever again. I dont understand all these people that do it again and again and again. Many things fell apart before (including the Weigh Inn burning down and then no being ready in time) but on the day everything went well (including the weather). Waking up the next morning and going down for breakfast was an anticlimax! But the homeymoon more that made up for that!!

Whitewater
16-Mar-07, 21:03
Got married in 1970, Bridge St Church Wick, and then Mackays Hotel. On my way down from Thurso, I was to pick up my best man from Halkirk, forgot about that and had to go back for him. Then got held up on the road just after Watten, farmer moving sheep. Eventually got into Wick, and while getting changed discovered I had no socks. Married in bare feet, no time to run out and get a pair. Must be the only wedding where the bride was cruising the town because the groom was late. However, the rest of the day/evening went well. Spent the night in the Portland Arms Lybster. Next morning we got packed up and drove away for our Honeymoon. About lunchtime my new wife asked for her hair brush, I told her it would be in the case in the boot of the car, so we stopped to get it out of the case, on opening the boot there was no case. I never realised my delicate new bride could swear before this. On phoning the Portland Arms, they confirmed that they had the case, I had left it in the car park in the morning. My brother in law took it down to us the next day when he and the family were returning home.

It was a great start, life has never been dull and this year we will be celebrating 37 wonderful years together. On asking my wife what kept her with me for so long she said she just had to hang about to see what was going to happen next, it was always a surprise.

gofor
16-Mar-07, 21:51
on the morning of our wedding 20 years ago this month it snowed wedding guests got stuck in snow outside aberdeen heading for caithness.the buses taking guests to the church ran late.minister forgot about us so it was a good start.wedding night we stayed in the ormlie lodge hotel got up in the morning to discover nobody there just us the doors locked and a note on the reception desk telling us staff would be in at 9.30am

North Rhins
16-Mar-07, 22:59
Got married, for the third time, in the Registry Office, Stornoway, in 2002. There was me , the wife to be, the registrar and two girls out of the council offices to act as witnesses. The ‘reception’ was coffee and carrot cake in the staff canteen. No expenses spared. If you want a marriage to last you have to show them a good time. :lol:

hobbes1962
17-Mar-07, 06:56
Got married in Thurso Registery Office in 1999 and then reception in the Pentland Hotel.

My mate's wee girl, who was 3 years old at the time, saw everyone throwing confetti/rice and decided to get in on the action and picked up a handful of stones to throw at us!!! :lol: Luckily her mum spotted them in time before they got chucked.

Stayed the night in the Pentland after the reception and the bubbly (and copious amounts of vodka and lager!) had gone to the new hubby's stomach and was spewing before we even went down for breakfast, during breakfast he kept dashing off to be sick and on the bus to Inverness to start our honeymoon he spewed the whole way down into a plastic carrier bag. Nice :confused Should have known better than to travel anywhere with him after he's had a night on the drink!

airdlass
17-Mar-07, 07:17
Got married in 1981 in my house. My mum was the Registrar at the time so she agreed to marry us. Had a family meal in the local hotel and then an "open house" in the evening for all the neighbours, friends etc. Got our picture on the front page of the P&J and also reports in some of the other papers aswell.:D

sweetpea
17-Mar-07, 20:02
i've never been married but it's felt like it at times. I always dreamed of a fairytale wedding but hey you never know, one day.....

Woolie
17-Mar-07, 20:36
We got married 27yrs ago in nov hubby was a royal marine so was in full dress uniform we had bridesmaids and a page boy our reception was in the church hall it rained alday and stopped as we came out of the church.

sassylass
18-Mar-07, 19:38
We had a very small wedding in my parents living room, with a big party afterwards. During the ceremony a new roof was going onto the house across the street and I could not take my eyes off the hammering and commotion. Mr Sassy's best friend had a nice camera and had offered to take photos of our vows. I recall thinking "Well I'm distracted now, at least there'll be photos to remember this moment". You guessed it, he had forgotten to put film in the camera [lol] . Poor guy was nearly sick he felt so bad, but what could we do? Nothing. And it really doesn't matter, we're still married lol.

Jeid
18-Mar-07, 20:17
I'm sure henry20 has some great memories of her wedding... well, what she can remember anyway ;)

obiron
18-Mar-07, 20:26
when we got married my sister in law was running family down to registry office and was supposed to come back for me and her hubby but forgot and we were standing at our back door for ages. was just about to phone for a taxi when she came back for us. was quite funny the pair of us standing there at the back door all dressed up. got a few odd looks.

dragonfly
18-Mar-07, 21:50
done it twice! first time was the whole hog and I hated it, can't remember much about it apart from panicking that something would not be right!

second time was at registry office then small reception at Forss House Hotel and the whole place was taken over by our family, so it was nice and relaxed after the meal and when we came down to breakfast in the morning our families were there too - lovely and a heck of a lot cheaper than the first - it cost under £500 in all and that was including our wedding clothes which were bought in the January sales!

squidge
21-Mar-07, 15:32
First time was in 1986 i had a lovely day and enjoyed it all - traditional wedding bridesmaids, speeches and confetti.

Planning wedding number two and it looks like a castle and a ceilidh for us -willbe much less formal and much more fun and more us - cant wait

henry20
21-Mar-07, 15:44
I'm sure henry20 has some great memories of her wedding... well, what she can remember anyway ;)

Mmmmmm, well, what can I say??? The memories of my day are a bit vague in places! After 9 glasses of wine with dinner and numerous sambucas, things did get a bit hazy!! I do however recall falling face first onto the dancefloor!! (Even if I had forgotten - the sore nose for a week was a 'gentle' reminder!) Not one of my parents proudest moments, I must admit, but it was my day and I made the most of it!! (They got their way when the wedding guest list went from 10 to 150!! :eek: )

Victoria
21-Mar-07, 16:58
First time was in 1986 i had a lovely day and enjoyed it all - traditional wedding bridesmaids, speeches and confetti.

Planning wedding number two and it looks like a castle and a ceilidh for us -willbe much less formal and much more fun and more us - cant wait

Thats how i'd like to do it - hint hint Mr Vic!! [lol] (I know he reads the posts now and again!)

emszxr
21-Mar-07, 17:03
i got married on 24th april 2004. in brora register with as many people sqeezed in the tiny room as possible. we then had reception and dance in links hotel which has since been knocked down and rebuilt into holiday apartments. we had a great day. i woke up in total peace, sent hubby to friends for the night. i sat and watched 2 dvd's. then went and got hair done and make up, then home to put dress on. i was very relaxed and not at all nervous til i got to register.
i danced all night even with being 5 months pregnant( still got into wedding dres that was a great ebay purchase :D ). then a whole pile of people cam eback to house and party went on all night and most of next day.
we had a small honeymoon driving around skye and oban area.
i loved my wedding, well may be not the now having a mother in law [evil]

Ricco
21-Mar-07, 20:44
My wife and I did our wedding ourselves. My parents were divorced, so my mother couldn't afford to help. My wife's parents weren't supportive and were not too flush anyway. So, we got married at a registry office on a lovely sunny day, then out on the lawn under the trees for the photos. Lots of friends and family. The reception was at my school - a beautiful old red brick building surrounded by blossoming cherry trees.

My wife and I and some friends worked 'til late the night before getting the commonroom ready. We did our own catering and the whole thing worked really well. She looked an angel and I felt like a million quid. I still have a photo in my wallet all these 19 years later.