PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

Jenni
16-Mar-07, 14:40
I have recently changed to AOL broadband and received their free wireless router. I have installed broadband into my main computer and everything is working perfectly but the kids would like their computer set up via the wireless router. I am absoloutely hopeless as far as technology so can anyone tell me is it simply a case of putting the cd back into my pc and clicking on the part that asks if I want to go wireless?

I also want to set up new email addresses with AOL but when I go to the relevant section to create a new email account it comes up saying "page cannot be displayed". I assume something in my settings must be wrong but have no idea where to start looking.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Jenni

Bobinovich
16-Mar-07, 23:21
Hi Jenni

In order to connect the kids PC to the wireless router you will need a Wireless Adapter - an external plug-in USB model is ideal. It should come with a CD so just follow the instructions and your kids should be up and running in no time.

If you need help on choosing a suitable adapter feel free to get back to me.

As for your AOL e-mail account problem, I've long given up on AOL (their change to the excellent Netgear Wireless Router being the only good thing they've done for their customers IMHO) so would suggest, if nobody can help from these boards, that you contact their tech. department and ask their advice.

Bob

Ricco
17-Mar-07, 15:46
I have recently changed to AOL broadband and received their free wireless router. I have installed broadband into my main computer and everything is working perfectly but the kids would like their computer set up via the wireless router. I am absoloutely hopeless as far as technology so can anyone tell me is it simply a case of putting the cd back into my pc and clicking on the part that asks if I want to go wireless?

I also want to set up new email addresses with AOL but when I go to the relevant section to create a new email account it comes up saying "page cannot be displayed". I assume something in my settings must be wrong but have no idea where to start looking.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Jenni

Hi, Jenni

Bobinovitch is right - the PC your children use will need either a wireless card fitted instead of the modem card, or an external wireless adapter. Netgear make a suitable card and they retail at around £35. Check out here (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/) for some prices.

The technicians at work reformatted and rebuilt my laptop so I had to set up the wireless connection again. Didn't concentrate fully and ended up losing my PC connection as well. Had to spend a couple of hours reminding myself of the passwords (couldn't find my wee book) and reconfiguriing both devices again. :confused

You really could do with someone who can pop round and set it up for you.

Jenni
17-Mar-07, 21:14
Thanks for advice guys.
I bought an adapter for the kids pc and the eldest who thinks he knows everything about computers started mucking around with my one and we lost all connections. We got it up and running again with my pc being the main one which is attached via the wires but I was a bit wary of trying to put theirs wireless incase it went wrong again. The kids asure me I have to put the original broadband cd back in and instead of choosing the first stage which installs it I am supposed to go to the part where it asks if you want to install another computer to the network. Does that sound feasible?

Bobinovich
18-Mar-07, 00:33
I would install the driver for the wireless adapter first and then 'pair' it up with your wireless router by entering the wireless key. Then when you startup AOL on the kids PC it *should* pick up that there is a wireless connection already available and *should* give you the option to use it!

You can see I have so much faith in AOL to make it easy LOL!