PDA

View Full Version : Filo pastry

Chligh
15-Mar-07, 22:24
Can anyone tell me where I can buy Filo pastry?

footie chick
15-Mar-07, 22:30
Any supermarket should have it.

htwood
15-Mar-07, 22:32
it should be in the frozen foods section.

ks
15-Mar-07, 23:37
Most supermarkets only stock it at Christmas (not sure about Tesco) but I got some a few weeks ago in Mackays grocer shop beside the Bistro, Thurso, think they normally stock it and it is under £2.

Julia
15-Mar-07, 23:42
Can anyone tell me where I can buy Filo pastry?

I am sure I saw some in the freezer cabinets in Tesco

_Ju_
16-Mar-07, 01:59
I have bought it in the fridge section and in the freezer section of sommerfield.

bothyman
16-Mar-07, 09:25
The last time I was in Tesco (Wick) they had it in the Dairy Section.
it was on the shelf not in the freezer.

dirdyweeker
16-Mar-07, 17:10
Also in Wick Co-op above the yoghurts etc.

Tesco too had it in the same area.

©Amethyst
17-Mar-07, 10:54
I bought some last week from Tesco - was in the freezer... but that's Dingwall all over for you - cold!

spurtle
18-Mar-07, 11:04
I bought some last week from Tesco - was in the freezer... but that's Dingwall all over for you - cold!

Filo pastry is the greatest fun to make - really strudel pastry -
Here it is :

1/2 lb flour
tsp lemon juice
1/2 oz butter
pinch salt
Enough warm water to make a soft dough (about 1/4 pint)
work butter into flour - add water as above, with lemon juice

Bash it around, as for bread, until it becomes very elastic -(a German friend tells me the rule is to whack it 100 times off the table!) Used to make my bairns count for me - terrible noises, and the neighbours will hate you!
Sprinkle the resulting dough with flour and leave in a warm place for 1/2 hour.

Now the fun bit - roll it out as thinly as you can, then begin the pulling, beginning from the centre, with your floured hands under the dough. You should (theoretically) be able to read a newspaper through it. This will cover your entire kitchen table! Try not to make holes, but a few small ones don't matter.

Roll it up with apple/lemon/cinnamon/wahtever (I pre-cook all that), buttering the pastry surface well as you go - wonderful! - cream cheese and poppy seeds is another standard filling.

Otherwise you can roll it up around a cardboard tube covered in cling film and use it for anything you like, but it is better used at once.

newlabeluk
19-Mar-07, 09:08
I'm more nosy as to what you are making with that delicate mess