PDA

View Full Version : Snow?

neepnipper
15-Mar-07, 20:55
Saw on the local weather that snow is forecast for the north of Scotland on Sunday and Monday. Am I going to get a white birthday on Monday?!

Don't want my lovely daffodils flattened so don't want any snow, just getting used to the lovely sunshine we've had lately, although I must admit it's felt much colder today. Maybe spring isn't quite with us yet!

mr do dar
15-Mar-07, 22:38
i saw the weather today and its saying snow for next week ...... hopefully it will be a light covering .... it always seems to come when the farmers start lambing . we cant complaint tho cos we didnt get much when England got it last month

Tugmistress
15-Mar-07, 22:49
in short, yes, expect some snow next week :) and winds!
don't get over excited though because unless we get some convective precipitation from the sea, there isn't going to be huge amounts so your daffs are liable to be safe.

Cinders392
16-Mar-07, 00:49
We havent had any proper snow this year! My son is just of age to understand it and has been deprived of the best free stuff ever. We had lots last year but this year its been more 2 autumns and a spring. I hate the wind, its so destructive.
Bring on the snow!

Metalattakk
16-Mar-07, 02:07
To counter-balance that utterly selfish view, it's nice to see that hardly any old folks have fallen in the ice and snow, breaking fragile bones in the process.

Stuff your snow. [disgust]

Ricco
16-Mar-07, 09:00
HAppy birthday on Monday, Neepnipper

neepnipper
16-Mar-07, 11:57
Thank you. Last year of my thirties coming up!

Victoria
16-Mar-07, 12:00
We've had snow forcast down here in Surrey for Monday!!!!!!!!

Its been beautiful down here though so I t hink they are off their rockers!!

Happy Birthday by the way!:)

Cinders392
16-Mar-07, 12:36
To counter-balance that utterly selfish view, it's nice to see that hardly any old folks have fallen in the ice and snow, breaking fragile bones in the process.

Stuff your snow. [disgust]

It doesnt take snow for older people to fall! It doesnt take snow for younger people to fall and hurt themselves. Accidents are a part of life. Humans are amazing organism and most have the ability to heal, some faster than other. Having crashed the car in the snow I know it increases the risk.
Have you every tired explaining what snow is and what it feels like to someone who has never seen or touched it in their life?

Happy birthday neepnipper!

badger
16-Mar-07, 13:25
It doesnt take snow for older people to fall! It doesnt take snow for younger people to fall and hurt themselves. Accidents are a part of life. Humans are amazing organism and most have the ability to heal, some faster than other. Having crashed the car in the snow I know it increases the risk.
Have you every tired explaining what snow is and what it feels like to someone who has never seen or touched it in their life?

Happy birthday neepnipper!

Older people can be permanently disabled by a fall as their bones do not mend easily. Snow may be very pretty and fun for children but for many it can be a real problem as we don't have enough in this country to be able to deal with it. So we get traffic disruption, dangerous roads etc. and for some, like me, if it's heavy it means we just can't get out.

JimH
16-Mar-07, 13:43
AS a general rule, we get snow every winter. This brings the accidents, both personal and traffic. Closed roads, etc., etc.
Don't you think it is time we where used to it, and could manage it better.
The farmers can control when they have lambing.
Like everyone else, us old'ns have to take more care.
The snow has a job to do, and I for one, need it to do it.
If it's your birthday - enjoy it. If it is not - then enjoy it anyway.
But never, ever, be surprised if a little white stuff appears on the ground in winter.

jaykay
16-Mar-07, 13:50
AS a general rule, we get snow every winter. This brings the accidents, both personal and traffic. Closed roads, etc., etc.
Don't you think it is time we where used to it, and could manage it better.
The farmers can control when they have lambing.
Like everyone else, us old'ns have to take more care.
(The snow has a job to do), and I for one, need it to do it.
If it's your birthday - enjoy it. If it is not - then enjoy it anyway.
But never, ever, be surprised if a little white stuff appears on the ground in winter.

What job would that be then?

garycs
16-Mar-07, 14:24
Why do folk who like snow always seem to get jumped on every time they mention it on internet forums? If the conditions for snow are in place, then it will snow, simple as that; wishing for it to snow doesn't make it any more likely!

Metalattakk
16-Mar-07, 14:43
...wishing for it to snow doesn't make it any more likely!

Exactly, so why wish for it at all?

Snow may well be pretty and kids love it, and people who haven't seen snow before are intrigued I'm sure. But, snow for many people is a complete misery (i.e.,the driver, the single mum trying to go shopping, the disabled, the elderly) and for people to wish for it seems just a little bit selfish to me.

I'm quite happy to wish for no elderly people to fall on ice, breaking precious, brittle hips and bones in the process, rather than wish for a wee bit of snow to delight the kids.

Snow isn't just the white stuff on Christmas cards. Snow kills.

Wish
16-Mar-07, 15:07
I for one would love some snow, we need a good sharp cold snap to clear all these virus's out of the air and it would make a lovely change from rain:lol:

garycs
16-Mar-07, 17:15
Exactly, so why wish for it at all?

Snow may well be pretty and kids love it, and people who haven't seen snow before are intrigued I'm sure. But, snow for many people is a complete misery (i.e.,the driver, the single mum trying to go shopping, the disabled, the elderly) and for people to wish for it seems just a little bit selfish to me.

I'm quite happy to wish for no elderly people to fall on ice, breaking precious, brittle hips and bones in the process, rather than wish for a wee bit of snow to delight the kids.

Snow isn't just the white stuff on Christmas cards. Snow kills.

Because it's human nature to wish for things we like.

Snow kills, heat kills, rain kills, fog kills, wind kills, sun kills many more. I will therefore wish for an all year round climate of calm, mild, overcast weather with good visibility :-)

Metalattakk
16-Mar-07, 17:55
I don't like old people or the disabled falling on ice and breaking bones, and I don't think for a second that anyone else should.

As I said, wanting stuff we like at the expense of the safety of others is just selfish behaviour.

mccaugm
16-Mar-07, 17:59
Older people can be permanently disabled by a fall as their bones do not mend easily. Snow may be very pretty and fun for children but for many it can be a real problem as we don't have enough in this country to be able to deal with it. So we get traffic disruption, dangerous roads etc. and for some, like me, if it's heavy it means we just can't get out.

This is getting silly...snow is a fact of life same as the leaves falling from trees. As was stated before accidents are a fact of life. "Always look on the bright side of life". "Chill" no pun intended.

ŠAmethyst
17-Mar-07, 11:02
What makes you assume anyone else wants an old person to fall on ice, Metalattakk?

Why must you try to start arguments? We've all experienced snow... snow days... snowball fights... building snowmen. But what about the little boy who hasn't?

If it snows, we can't help it... so we just have to get on with things. But people do little to go and help an elderly neighbour when it's icy. Maybe once in a while we should go see if they need something from the shop when you're on your way there anyway. Metalattakk... when was the last time you did something like that when the weather was bad?

JimH
17-Mar-07, 13:28
What job would that be then?

It breaks down the ground, after ploughing.

AS for Snow Killing people - it is not very likely to happen in this country.

RTAs happen regardless of the weather. People fall regardless of the weather.

Snow comes regardless of what you want or like - so let those that want to, enjoy it, and those that want to moan about it, do so. But don't blame it for people having accidents.

Stargazer
17-Mar-07, 13:50
Looks like snow will be the least of the problems tonight. Shipping forecast has Hurricane Force 12 warnings in the sea areas surrounding the North of Scotland

Quote from BBC Shipping forecast "Explosively deepening low south of Iceland 993 expected Viking 952 by 0600 tomorrow" and coming from the west "Hebrides Bailey Fair Isle Faeroes Southeast Iceland southwest veering northwest 6 to gale 8, becoming cyclonic violent storm 11 or hurricane force 12 for a time"

Batten down the hatches!

cuddlepop
17-Mar-07, 14:06
Looks like snow will be the least of the problems tonight. Shipping forecast has Hurricane Force 12 warnings in the sea areas surrounding the North of Scotland

Quote from BBC Shipping forecast "Explosively deepening low south of Iceland 993 expected Viking 952 by 0600 tomorrow" and coming from the west "Hebrides Bailey Fair Isle Faeroes Southeast Iceland southwest veering northwest 6 to gale 8, becoming cyclonic violent storm 11 or hurricane force 12 for a time"

Batten down the hatches!

I guess its going to be a little breezy tonight.:eek:

Penelope Pitstop
17-Mar-07, 14:27

Batten down the hatches!

Yeah I heard that too. Seemingly the worst shipping forecast since 2000.

neepnipper
17-Mar-07, 15:53
Noticed 5 ships anchored up in Sinclairs Bay, seeking a safe refuge from the coming storm.

Also heard it's going to be the worst winds in 5 years tonight.

Keep safe everyone!

Rainmaker2
17-Mar-07, 19:55
Just to say that the Met Office have now issued Flash Weather Warnings for the Highlands, Western and Northern Isles. Gusts of wind in Orkney may reach 90mph whilst the mainland may experience gusts of 70-80mph. Please stay safe. See the Met Office website for more info or tune into the forecasts on radio or TV.

missmillie
18-Mar-07, 09:00
Well didn't get much sleep last night with that hail,rain,wind,branches and cows hitting my window!:lol: hehe what an awful night!!

Anyone else manage to sleep? think I gotta invest in earplugs!!:roll:

SNOWDOG
18-Mar-07, 09:07
Just in from night shift and i can only describe driving about as very choppy! We had a severe weather warning for 7pm last night and it was pretty much bang on!:(

Cinders392
18-Mar-07, 09:21
Pretty Bang on! I was up loads last nite. Only have 1 cat inside. The other one is out there and aint moving. This time I only lost the lid of the sand pit at 4 am last nite. I ran out in my PJ's to get it but it was whipped right up as if it were in a hurricane!
I hate the wind. Powerless against it
[disgust]

Rheghead
18-Mar-07, 12:05
I'm driving back from Cumbria tomorrow, what are the chances I could be stuck in a snowdrift on the A9?:confused

Oh well, good job I took the gas guzzling 4X4[lol]

cuddlepop
18-Mar-07, 14:23
Its snowing here and its lying.
See Wish it does do something other than rain.:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
18-Mar-07, 14:31
Ohh I hope its heading this way .......:) Kids are wanting it to snow.

bobsgirl
18-Mar-07, 15:00
I really do hope everyone was safe last night, I know I was up a few times making sure our trampoline wasnt flying about in the wind, but thank goodness it is still up.

My mate unfortunately wasnt so lucky, her and her husband were out early hours, rescuing their trampoline which is now mangled and not fixable, their kids cubby house in the garden, the roof blew off it and landed at the top of their street!! Last and not least quite a lot of their tiles of their house roof got blown off in the gale, narrowly missing their cars. To top it all off they only just moved in the house last Friday, so only two days in the house. :eek:

Hopefully their luck changes!!

octane
18-Mar-07, 15:08
Our daughters trampoline is still tucked away in the garage as its to early to be putting up in the garden until the better weather arrives. I aint taking the chance of it taking off and either hitting pilons, cars or people.

big red
18-Mar-07, 16:22
John, in our local shop told my other half that the wind was 100 mph at dounreay during the night, mind you it woke ME up (and my hubby says i go unconcious at night) and i could have sworn that was the speed it was coming up our street. Still as far as i can see today there is'nt any damage around. It was the wildest of nights and really quite scary. Thankfully, there are no reports locally of anybody being hurt and i'm thankful for that.:roll:

Wellies
18-Mar-07, 16:23
Caravan is lying in bits nearly hitting some sheep. Two windows been put out in a shed and a dutch barn roof rising and falling. But thank goodness no one or animal hurt. Just hope the roof stays on long enough until I can get it fixed as its on the lambing shed.

Wish
18-Mar-07, 16:29
Its snowing here and its lying.
See Wish it does do something other than rain.:lol:

:lol:I love the snow! It wasn't as windy as I had expected it to be last night though, thankfully, although I didn't like the thunder and lightening!

Hope everyne is safe and warm.

quirbal
18-Mar-07, 16:38
no signs of snow yet:(:(

pat
18-Mar-07, 16:49
A bit more windy than usual here last night!!
Hail lasting quite some time this afternoon, now quite deep, but tide on the turn so wind will start up for the night again.
Hope you all manage to get yourselves, animals and buildings secured before the next onslaught.
Did not get to sleep until 6am due to wind, rain and hail here, hope I am so tired I can sleep through it tonight, especially as very high tides expected which always seem to bring strong winds

suki
18-Mar-07, 18:33
and it's lying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :)

Tugmistress
18-Mar-07, 18:54
Caravan is lying in bits nearly hitting some sheep. Two windows been put out in a shed and a dutch barn roof rising and falling. But thank goodness no one or animal hurt. Just hope the roof stays on long enough until I can get it fixed as its on the lambing shed.

I know a few people where they have had slates off, just got back from work where there is a trailer on it's side in the compound, but as you say, hopefully nothing and no one hurt.
Wind due up again in the morning (i personally reckon gusting 50 - 60mph at it's height in the morning) , starting to build slowly very shortly. Make arrangements for your repairs wednesday if you need to go up a ladder.

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/whoops0_20070318_-584372779.JPG

ŠAmethyst
18-Mar-07, 19:55
Had to smile today. Home for a few days - got off the bus to have ickle white snowflakes whirling gently around me... and I thought of .org!

obiron
18-Mar-07, 20:20
keep looking out the window but nothing.
hope the night is not as windy as last night. struggled to get to sleep.

lin
18-Mar-07, 21:08
Keep safe and warm all of you. Hope the weather doesn't get to severe.

JAWS
19-Mar-07, 00:33
I know a few people where they have had slates off, just got back from work where there is a trailer on it's side in the compound, but as you say, hopefully nothing and no one hurt.
Wind due up again in the morning (i personally reckon gusting 50 - 60mph at it's height in the morning) , starting to build slowly very shortly. Make arrangements for your repairs wednesday if you need to go up a ladder.

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/whoops0_20070318_-584372779.JPGAh, Tuggs, it's not dead, it's just sleeping. :D

highlander
19-Mar-07, 00:44
More like resting lol

neepnipper
19-Mar-07, 10:13
Well, I have my white birthday as predicted! Sunshine just now but keeps coming over very black then dumps a load of snow! Don't think the roads are too bad, going out for dinner later so hopefully they'll be clear.

noodle
19-Mar-07, 13:54
Weather was horrendous driving Scrabster <-> Wick today. The joys of starting work so early is that I'm on the road before the gritter [disgust] (about an hour from Scrabster to Wick!)

On the way back it was worse though: snow, drifting hail, poor visibility and v high winds (traffic slowed RIGHT down)

Hope everyone stays safe today.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be like early Wednesday morning? I'm catching a plane from Inverness.... all I can find is it's going to be poor visibility, is it likely that the A9 could be closed at all???

peedie
19-Mar-07, 14:12
Does anyone have any ideas what it might be like early Wednesday morning? I'm catching a plane from Inverness.... all I can find is it's going to be poor visibility, is it likely that the A9 could be closed at all???

as far as i'm aware i think the wrost of it will have past shower wise but there could be a lot still lying, according to my mam its blin' drift at the ord. i'm coming up from aberdeen on wednesday but not till the after noon so hopefully it will be clear enough!!

ŠAmethyst
19-Mar-07, 20:37
Weather was horrendous driving Scrabster <-> Wick today. The joys of starting work so early is that I'm on the road before the gritter [disgust] (about an hour from Scrabster to Wick!)

On the way back it was worse though: snow, drifting hail, poor visibility and v high winds (traffic slowed RIGHT down)

Hope everyone stays safe today.

I don't think there'll be lots of snow, but I think it's forecast to be still quite cold. Could still be icy early on in the morning.

DeHaviLand
19-Mar-07, 23:36
Check the forecast at this site http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=Caithness

Usually very accurate and reliable

noodle
20-Mar-07, 13:25
Check the forecast at this site http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=Caithness

Usually very accurate and reliable

Thanks, that's just what I needed *bookmarks*

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Mar-07, 15:52
I never saw any snow,a few mini blizzards of hailstones though.Ma ears are in tatters.They look like that holey cheese ye get in the Tom and Jerry cartoons.Two big massive bandages now on each side of ma heid.Noo I does feel ugggg---leeee:lol: