PDA

View Full Version : Too many initiatives?

Angela
15-Mar-07, 16:31
Is it just me that feels there are far too many "initiatives" being dreamed up on an almost daily basis? Especially where it comes to children and parenting.

Yesterday, the Early Years Foundation Curriculum.

And...also yesterday, Alan Johnson unveiled his personal idea of a "boy's bookshelf" in secondary school libraries, to encourage more boys to read.
Oh...and he wants to encourage more parents and grandparents to read to their children...and to attract more men into primary teaching....just like that!

I hasten to say that I don't disagree with these suggestions, but what I can't stomach is the way they're presented as a quick-fix magic solution to deep-rooted problems.

Today, we're back to a "new" anti-obesity campaign, aimed at parents with children under 11...go to www.5aday.nhs.uk (http://www.5aday.nhs.uk) where you'll be told that you can encourage your child to eat better by making food fun and inventing stories about vegetables...

I feel very sorry for the parents of young children. Being a parent isn't easy, but the vast majority do a very good job without being patronised and made to feel guilty in this way.

j4bberw0ck
15-Mar-07, 16:49
There'll be more and more of these things going on as politicians try to catch headlines with their name in as we get nearer to the time Blair hands over to the Brown, and then as speculation mounts as to whether Brown will go for a quick "honeymoon" election - more headlines = more profile = more chance of getting Cabinet seat or plum job. :roll:

sweetpea
15-Mar-07, 19:23
I agree far too many, same with 'pilots', everything has to be a pilot. Saw jobs advertised for 'hand washing co-ordinators' not that long ago.
I'm confused because I thought the word 'initiative' was something you used to come up with good ideas or ways of doing things i.e use your initiative.:(

badger
15-Mar-07, 19:41
Think I might go for the hand-washing job - feel very well qualified. Do it every week when the grandchildren visit. Where can I apply?

You're right of course Angela (as always!). What these idiots don't seem to realise is that one reason these "initiatives" don't work is after about 5 minutes they're replaced by another one - and another. Public employees spend so much time trying to figure out the latest one they don't have enough left to do their jobs. Must be very depressing.

JAWS
16-Mar-07, 04:24
All it really displays is their complete arrogance and the total contempt they hold for the intelligence of the public in general.

What they are in effect saying is that you are all totally incapable of doing anything unless you follow the instrctions they have given you.

"Now, let me check to make sure you have washed behind your ears and show me the backs of your hands before you go out!" :roll:

Have you learned to fasten your shoes yet?

_Ju_
16-Mar-07, 09:56
I think that these "iniciatives" are being formalised on a govermental level because people have forgotten about common sense and the basics.

There are people out there that are so far removed from the realities and details of their everyday life that they need to be told and reminded that a Mac meal is not a healthy option, that children need alot of time and attention to learn how to and develope habits of reading and excercising, etc.

What confuses me (still) are family planning iniciatives that potencially could allow a child to go through something like an abortion at the age of 15, without knowledge of the parents. Not THAT is frightening.

_Ju_
16-Mar-07, 09:59
All it really displays is their complete arrogance and the total contempt they hold for the intelligence of the public in general.

What they are in effect saying is that you are all totally incapable of doing anything unless you follow the instrctions they have given you.

"Now, let me check to make sure you have washed behind your ears and show me the backs of your hands before you go out!" :roll:

Actually..... a handwahing information campaign exists...... and is completely anti-hygienic: it shows you how to wash your hands with a bar of soap in a hospital. That is an excellent way of infecting your hands with some very nice bugs.....;) So, even the iniciatives are wrong.

Bill Fernie
16-Mar-07, 23:33
Out of curiousity I Googled "Pilot Scheme"

Stands back in amazement 1,190,000 suggestions.

So somewhat cynically can I suggest -

Pilot - We can only afford to do one but we will call it a pilot and if it fails we can claim it was only a pilot and we have learned lessons. If it works we will phase it on over the next few years depending on costs.

Dodgy Pilot Scheme - So unpalatable no one will want it - Try it in Scotland First

New Initiative - Dress up an old idea and push it out again - usually low cost but max publicity.

Local Initiative - Dress up an old idea and take it round to an area that has not seen it before.

But there is no shortage of weezel words and phrases for government ideas. I will add another one for you all to mull over. Try Googling this one "Task Force"

j4bberw0ck
17-Mar-07, 00:53
Try Googling this one "Task Force"

I'm afraid I didn't need to Google that for an instant flashback to Charlie Dimmock sans some underwear :lol::lol: .

Ah, me....... the perils of age.........