PDA

View Full Version : Dounreay Apprentice

Kelvin Barclay
30-Jul-14, 09:22
Looking to contact anybody who did an apprenticeship as an instrument mechanic at Dounreay 1969 to 1973.
I need a reference that the apprenticeship included one year of electrical wiring.
kelvin@barclaygraphics.com

gillsbay
31-Jul-14, 15:57
This could be difficult Kelvin, the apprenticeship was first year:- almost all mechanical, second year for instrument mechanics was a small part electrical and mostly instrumentation then third and fourth years out on site. Second year for electricians was all electrical.

budgeJ
31-Jul-14, 16:50
You're more likely to find someone to testify that it included at least one year of sitting on the toilet reading the paper and sleeping every day all day.

dozy
31-Jul-14, 17:53
This could be difficult Kelvin, the apprenticeship was first year:- almost all mechanical, second year for instrument mechanics was a small part electrical and mostly instrumentation then third and fourth years out on site. Second year for electricians was all electrical.Sorry but I disagree . Spend some of the time in the first year at the apprentice training centre with Bill Sutherland (Ugg) and then off to electrical in the huts at the back of the transport pool with Joe Dunmoodie and Snitch . Every dry day you were out with a star chisel knocking holes in those f..king concrete block walls for conduit,then back inside for wiring up trunking . Happy days .

ebenezer
01-Aug-14, 18:40
Happy days Indeed Dozy, except In my day It was the late John Mackay who was the Instructor.
He was a great bloke and could be easily sidetracked into speaking about Scottish dance music as he used to play the boxie in a band.
I remember those concrete blocks and hit my fingers instead of the chisel a few times. Thanks for the memories.