PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Farmers are being Fleeced by the UK Government.

Rheghead
29-Jul-14, 22:39
I didn't believe it at first when someone brought it to my notice that the UK government pocketed €223 million of EU subsidies that was due to be passed on to Scottish farmers until I read it for myself.

It comes after the UK Government announced on Friday that the convergence uplift, which Europe intended to benefit farmers with the lowest payment rates, would not be passed onto Scotland.

Scottish farmers have the lowest per hectare payments in Europe.

The decision means Scotland is missing out on approximately €223 million of extra EU cash, known as the convergence uplift.

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/hot-topics/cap-reform/scots-slam-indefensible-decision-to-limit-cap-cash/60128.article

PantsMAN
29-Jul-14, 22:40
Vote YES in September!

Chook a demus
29-Jul-14, 22:41
Aye that's right delete the posts when people disagree with .

Are you suggesting that Scottish farmers can't do without EU subsidies if so don't you think it's a bit of a gamble trying to foist the independence issue upon people without the knowledge that Scotland will actually be accepted as a member of the EU I mean if the SNP is wrong about fast track membership to the EU should independence occur that would be a lot of farmers suffering. Then you have to consider the cost of currency conversion from € to £ for exporting to rUK and increase in paperwork for exporting from Scotland to rUK. Then of course you have to consider that as Scotland would no longer be part of rUK would the publics perception of buying Scottish agricultural produce be as it is now or would they buy within their own market. Glib answers won't satisfactorily answer this as I doubt you can lay your hands on any studies that show how independence may affect Scottish trade with rUK. But the figure of £8 billion was bandied about the other day as loss in trade across all sectors.

Phill
29-Jul-14, 22:49
We could just not give the EU £8Million a day then we're all rich.

Rheghead
29-Jul-14, 22:57
We could just not give the EU £8Million a day then we're all rich.

This thread is not about the issue of EU membership but more about Westminister not giving a fair deal for Scottish farmers from EU. I believe an independent Scottish government would have passd on that subsidy in full.

Chook a demus
29-Jul-14, 23:08
Well that's a big assumption based on what factual evidence.
So it's not about EU membership but about independence based on your theory that an independent Scottish govt if it was successful would pay all EU subsidies to farmers.
As the EU is inextricably linked with farm payment subsidies you can't have one without the other.
Ergo without membership of the EU an independent Scotland receives the grand sum of €0 in grants and subsidies. As it is the Westminster govt is able to access EU subsidies.

orkneycadian
30-Jul-14, 07:59
I think the farmers of Caithness, and the rest of the country, have bigger concerns over the continuous stream of madcap schemes that come out of Brussels. The 3 crop rule being the latest.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/11/02/2014/143228/cap-three-crop-rule-set-to-have-heavy-costs-for-growers.htm
(http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/11/02/2014/143228/cap-three-crop-rule-set-to-have-heavy-costs-for-growers.htm)
The sooner we get out of this madness the better. Unfortunately, it doesnt appear that the SNP have cottoned to this, and are still making noises about joining the EU in the event of independence rather than using it as the perfect opportunity to leave.

Heisenberg
30-Jul-14, 08:27
This thread is not about the issue of EU membership but more about Westminister not giving a fair deal for Scottish farmers from EU. I believe an independent Scottish government would have passd on that subsidy in full.aye reet. sure they would cos they'll all be little angels

orkneycadian
30-Jul-14, 21:54
Farming is not a Central Belt issue. In the unlikely event of independence, Eck and Nic would be way too busy passing legislation to quadruple the number of bookies, pawnshops and pubs on Sauchiehall Street to give a monkeys about the farmers, who make up only a part of the 20% of the population outside of the Central Belt.

Ask any Central Belter (including Nic) where beef or lamb comes from and chances are they will reply "Tesco".

Rheghead
30-Jul-14, 22:04
aye reet. sure they would cos they'll all be little angels

The Scottish people will get the Government which they vote for in 2016. They will have a direct voice in the EU and will act in the best interests of the Scottish people.

orkneycadian
30-Jul-14, 22:16
The Scottish people will get the Government which they vote for in 2016.

We already have that.

They will have a direct voice in the EU

The evidence is mounting that the population want nothing to do with the EU. The SNP seem to think the opposite, showing how out of touch they actually are.

and will act in the best interests of the Scottish people.

Unfortunately, you cannot get a mandate of the wishes of the people of Scotland in a single vote / referendum.

Rheghead
30-Jul-14, 22:24
We already have that.

No, going by the 2010 results, we would have a Labour Government.

The evidence is mounting that the population want nothing to do with the EU. The SNP seem to think the opposite, showing how out of touch they actually are.

The independence referendum is not an in/out referendum on EU membership. If there is a Yes vote then we can vote for a euro-sceptic government in 2016, that is democracy. Biggest threat to Scottish EU status comes from UKIP/conservative heartlands in rUK. That isn't democracy.

orkneycadian
30-Jul-14, 22:27
The independence referendum is not an in/out referendum on EU membership.

If that were the case, the SNP should be making no mention whatsoever about Scotlands EU membership status in the event of independance. But they play it to death, putting as much spin on it as they feel necessary.

Chook a demus
30-Jul-14, 22:30
That's taking it the party that gets elected allows the people of Scotland to have an in/out referendum on the EU which is in no way guaranteed as not one party in a Scotland has put it on offer and it's most certainly not in the SNPs agenda. So looks like you'd be stuck with the EU regardless. At least with a UK govt there is some opposition to the EU and a chance to get a vote.

orkneycadian
30-Jul-14, 22:34
Absolutely. If you polled all the farmers in Scotland if they would rather be in or out of the EU, you would be trampled in the stampede to the "Out" voting booth. But in an independent Scotland, it would be Central Belt issues that were more important. Farming and farmers would be swept aside as insignificant.

Rheghead
30-Jul-14, 23:09
Absolutely. If you polled all the farmers in Scotland if they would rather be in or out of the EU, you would be trampled in the stampede to the "Out" voting booth. But in an independent Scotland, it would be Central Belt issues that were more important. Farming and farmers would be swept aside as insignificant.

Any stats on that?

orkneycadian
30-Jul-14, 23:11
Don't you talk about it at the Mart?

Chook a demus
30-Jul-14, 23:58
You'd have to be in the farming industry to be at those surely

orkneycadian
31-Jul-14, 00:00
But surely if Rheghead is speaking up for the farming community, then he too must be a farmer?

Or is he too, like Squidge, alighting upon the plight of some to suit his own political agenda?

Surely not....

Chook a demus
31-Jul-14, 00:03
Well from all his posts I've seen he doesn't seem to have knowledge of the farming industry so I just assume he isn't in agriculture. Probably the same as the other one just being political for the sake of if without a clue about working in the countryside or farms.

PantsMAN
31-Jul-14, 16:06
Great to hear all the agricultural experts talking out of their wellies!

Uncle-Bobs-Johnny
31-Jul-14, 20:52
Well from all his posts I've seen he doesn't seem to have knowledge of the farming industry so I just assume he isn't in agriculture. Probably the same as the other one just being political for the sake of if without a clue about working in the countryside or farms.

Didn't someone say he works for the UK arms industry? I suppose that's a type of "farming" but more about producing weapons than livestock.