PDA

View Full Version : Any good fishing spots?

Uncle-Bobs-Johnny
29-Jul-14, 20:33
Now that the good weather is here I'm going to give my rod an airing and, hopefully, catch a few fish. I was out on a boat the other week but my friend got seriously sea sick (heaved up for the entire 5 hour trip) so he's sworn never to go out on a boat ever again :confused It was a damned fruitful trip too, loads of haddock were caught (I caught 6 myself) but I spent most of the trip looking out for my mate as he seriously wasn't looking too good.

Are there any good land based spots to do a bit of spinning? We've tried the pier down at Scrabster (twice) but not even a bite, one bloke caught a mackerel there but that's pretty slim pickings after standing on a pier for 4 hours.

Any comments appreciated.

smithp
29-Jul-14, 23:14
Scrabster beach would be better, or sand side. Depends what you want to catch really?

Rheghead
29-Jul-14, 23:40
Best locations are from rocks or cliffs where you aren't gonna get your fishing tackle taffled every cast out. Suggest you use google earth to search for areas where the lands meets the sea but doesn't have an adjacent seaweed profile.

Saveman
30-Jul-14, 23:24
There is a path that runs past the lighthouse at Scrabster that takes you down to a rocky ledge that is very good for fishing. There is also Holborn Head which is accessed via a path just before the Lighthouse. The climb down to the rocks at Holborn is not for everyone. Last time I was there it had a rope but it needed replaced.
On Wick side Longberry is excellent for shore fishing.

orkneycadian
30-Jul-14, 23:27
Around the coast of Scotland used to be good. Until the EU gave us fishing quotas. And sent in the Spanish....