PDA

View Full Version : Ackergill Tower

horseman
14-Mar-07, 21:21
Read the impressive article from the Caithness field club bulletin,we used to go there as kids,with the place very run down, we never gave a thought to the hundreds of years history of the place.
There's a real slice of history there, but the bit that came to me was going to the beach at Ackergill and collecting a bucket full of whelks.. This was an annual thing.Started out with us going with parents then on our own as we became old enough.
Smashing fun playing in the hughly overgrown gardens on the sea shore and taking the bucket of "wilks"home,boiling them up hooking the meat out with a pin and chewing them up, very sandy..
Wonder if anyone else has those :D memories?

bluebell
14-Mar-07, 22:28
I also used to play there as a child,had lots of fun in the gardens we had a rope going from a tall tree over to a smaller one we would slide down (death slide we called it) and at this time of year we would come home with loads of daffidols from the avenue, many a good hour spent there

Alice in Blunderland
14-Mar-07, 22:53
Aa Ackergill tower I also have fond memories of being there not too long ago with Weeboyagee at the opera...............I didnt behave so he vowed not to take me back. I picked up a black olive from the plate they handed round at the interval .........silly me I thought it was a grape well the taste was foul and I quickly looked around for somewhere to spit it out...........the lovely big fire that was burning in front of me was the best place so I calmly walked up took aim and spat :eek: ..........Oh my gosh did I get such a row from Weeboyagee he told me I was embarrassing him and that I shouldnt have done that. Ah well it was nice while I was there. ;)

Moira
14-Mar-07, 23:07
Read the impressive article from the Caithness field club bulletin,we used to go there as kids,....<snip?> .the beach at Ackergill and collecting a bucket full of whelks.. This was an annual thing.Started out with us going with parents then on our own as we became old enough. <snip> Wonder if anyone else has those :D memories?

I've not read the Caithness Field club bulletin. But I do remember collecting whelks when we went to Ackergill Harbour/Reiss Beach for the day. Loved them then (the whelks) - would hate them now. My sister-in-law (from Glasgow) who shares these fond memories went looking for whelks a couple of years ago - she was sadly disappointed. Have they all but disappeared?

I've visited Ackergill Tower in recent years - exceptional place - beautifully & sensitively restored.