PDA

View Full Version : Immobiliser / Alarm fitters

noodle
14-Mar-07, 15:52
We've just got hold of a second hand car which the insurance company are demanding has an immobiliser fitted. Can anyone recommend a local company (Thurso / Wick) who can provide and fit something and give us a certificate for the insurance co? If there isn't anything local I'll probably head down to Inverness and Halfords unless anyone has had a bad experience there?

Cheers

johno
15-Mar-07, 00:12
what did u buy [a lambo or something awfully expensive] i ve never heard of this before , did u try any other insurance companys. try the post office they are doing good deals just now +£50 cash back.
even on returning customer,s. :eek: ;)

saxovtr
15-Mar-07, 01:09
fit a kill switch hidden under dash or wherever so it disables the battery at night!! also you can pick up a red light off ebay to sit on ur dash that flashes but looks like you have an alarm!! worth buying

mareng
15-Mar-07, 07:22
fit a kill switch hidden under dash or wherever so it disables the battery at night!! also you can pick up a red light off ebay to sit on ur dash that flashes but looks like you have an alarm!! worth buying

You've not much experience of dealing with insurance companies, then?

He requires a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser, not a flashing red light off ebay.

Have a look on the internet for mobile installation techs (approved for installation of an Cat 1 alarm/imobiliser)

vehicles@alarmsandsecurity.net can supply you with details of the nearest one (01325-247101)

Or....... try another insurance company - there must be someone that realises that car theft isn't a problem in Caithness (if you do in fact - live in Caithness)

noodle
15-Mar-07, 11:06
Thanks for the info so far. It's sadly not a Lambo, nor was it expensive (only a couple of grand) but it is a JDM (Japanese Domestic Model in case you were wondering) grey import with ~260 horsies under the bonnet so it's a pretty high group. The insurance company (despite wanting the immobiliser) were the cheapest quote relative to the cover and I'll be fitting an alarm / immobiliser of some kind whatever.

Spot on with the Thatcham Cat 1 - but I have no idea who fits them round here (we live in Thurso btw) or which are good / bad makes. Toad seem to be well represented on the interweb so maybe I'll give these a try. The dealer (down in Inverness) didn't want to know due to the age of the car and the fact it's a private import and Halfords have yet to get back to me.

Thanks for the link, I'll try and sneak a look later but I'm meant to be working at the moment. :)

the nomad
15-Mar-07, 14:37
I was in same position when I bought a Japanese import 4X4, I used a company called Peregrine alarms based in Aberdeen, the guy that fits alarm has family in Thurso and he is up quite a bit, he can fit it at your home address and also does CD players if you are interested. Do a search on the net.

_Ju_
15-Mar-07, 16:05
We've just got hold of a second hand car which the insurance company are demanding has an immobiliser fitted. Can anyone recommend a local company (Thurso / Wick) who can provide and fit something and give us a certificate for the insurance co? If there isn't anything local I'll probably head down to Inverness and Halfords unless anyone has had a bad experience there?

Cheers

Change insurance companies...... mine does not demand imobilizers, etc..... the insurance is ajusted to take these into account.

PS: sorry, should have read whole thread before replying.