PDA

View Full Version : history of wick and the people

debimac
14-Mar-07, 15:42
please could anyone tell me of any books that i can buy for husband.
I KNOW HE IS VERY PROUD OF HIS ROOTS.
I would like to know of books of the history and the people who lived and worked in wick.I think my children should know as much as possible about their grandparents and greatgrandparents.I would be very greatfull for your help.maybe someone has one to sell.Thanks debi x

trinkie
14-Mar-07, 20:05
Hallo Debimac,

What a good idea.. I suggest you contact the Wick Heritage Socy and ask there. They will know of several books which have been written on Wick.

A favourite of mine is "Wick Harbour and the Herring Fishing" by Iain Sutherland but there are others.
There are also quite a few Pictorial Books on Wick and it's people, always a delight to browse through.
Dont forget the local poets for they have told so much of the character of Wick/Caithness.

Also ask at the Library and they will offer suggestions.

But first of all you can get some ideas from the History page on caithness.org - lots here to interest you.

A great favourite of mine - though not Wick, is The Book of Lybster by Donald Young, this is a big book full to the brim with such interesting articles. I never seem to tire of this wonderful book, and I have discovered so much about Caithness Folk. I frequently peep into this large book and always find something new there... it's always a joy.

Good luck,
Trinkie

debimac
15-Mar-07, 11:40
thanks for the advice it is very much appreciated.:Razz