PDA

View Full Version : Lactose Free Recipe's Anyone?

ŠAmethyst
14-Mar-07, 12:06
It's been just over a week now that my doctor's told me that I could be lactose intolerant. It's taking a lot of getting used to... just last night I caught myself talking aloud to nobody saying, "I want a milkshake!!!"

Sent Mr A to Tesco for soya milk at about 11pm last night.

I'm finding it tough as I love milkshakes and cheese toasties.

So far I've discovered that I can take small amounts of milk... no cheddar, but a little mozzorella - and I think after the reaction I had last night, no eggs.

Does anyone have any lactose free recipe suggestions I could try?

Or can anyone let me know of any good substitutes I could use?

Liz
14-Mar-07, 15:07
I cannot take dairy products either but you get used to it!:D

Luckily there are lots of substitutes including soya milk and rice milk. Not sure about goat's milk? Just substitute any of these for cow's milk in recipes.
To make things easier just look for products suitable for vegans.

A really good place to get dairy free products is www.goodnessdirect.co.uk (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk) where you can get dairy free cheese and ice cream!

If it is just a lactose intolerance you can get tablets or drops to take just before you take anything containing lactose. I can't remember the name but your Dr should be able to tell you.

Good luck!

ŠAmethyst
14-Mar-07, 21:28
Yes, been doing research - I'm considering getting some Lactaid pills (if available in the UK)... at least I won't have to give up B&J phish food ice cream lol.

Will definately try some vegan recipe's. sis in law is veggie, but not vegan, I'm sure she'll help me out though.

I've gone off tea though lol - not the same with soya milk :( Alsoconsidering buying lactofree milk... but it's even more expensive than soya milk [evil]

Thanks liz... you're a wealth of good advice!

Liz
14-Mar-07, 23:58
Yes, been doing research - I'm considering getting some Lactaid pills (if available in the UK)... at least I won't have to give up B&J phish food ice cream lol.

Will definately try some vegan recipe's. sis in law is veggie, but not vegan, I'm sure she'll help me out though.

I've gone off tea though lol - not the same with soya milk Alsoconsidering buying lactofree milk... but it's even more expensive than soya milk

Thanks liz... you're a wealth of good advice!

Lactaid! That's it!!! Couldn't remember the name. You can get drops which you put in your milk but not sure how much this would compare with lactose free milk?

I know what you mean about the tea.:~( That is the only thing which I have had a problem with and decided to take it without anything and after a while have got used to it.

Luckily there are lots of vegan products on the market now so, hopefully, you shouldn't find it too much of a struggle. Just takes a bit of getting used to. There is a vegan shop online and I will get the address for you.

Liz
15-Mar-07, 00:03
Hello again! Only me!

The website address for vegan products is www.veganstore.co.uk Have a look at Goodness Direct as well though as they have lots of vegan products.

Let me know how you get on.

Liz
15-Mar-07, 00:11
And another!!!:lol: www.foodreactions.co.uk There is a product here which may be your answer for lactose free milk.

ŠAmethyst
15-Mar-07, 13:53
Hey! :)

Just checking out Veganstore.co.uk just now... chocolate! lol. Have looked at goodnessdirect, but it just seems that veganstore has more.

I was in Alness this morning, went to the chemist... the pharmacist there had never heard of any lactose intolerant folk taking pills in order to eat dairy! But she said that she'd look into it for me... lol, and pointed me in the direction of the health food shop. Bought some vegan marge (cheaper than Mr A's Lurpak). Seems that they've got a substitute for most kinds of cheeses, too! Which is great as I'm into my Greek cooking at the moment.

Something I'd never considered before until today was that some people who are lactose intolerant also can't take certain medications.

I've got the feeling that there's going to be a lot more LI research on my part. Even Mr A is finding it all a learning curve (despite him and his brother extracting the urine)!

Foodreactions.co.uk is much more informative than the other two sites... the Lactase Enzyme Liquid looks interesting. Getting used to soya milk in my tea now... still not quite there though.

How long have you not been able to consume dairy, Liz? I'm starting to think that I'll never be able to get used to it... Just sooooooo taxing. I'm getting sick of looking at ingredient lists [lol]

Liz
15-Mar-07, 15:10
Glad you're managing to get some stuff and yes Veganstore is good. I've tried their chocolate and it's yummy!
It's good that you have such a good health food shop near you as well.
Have another look at Goodness Direct though as they have a lot of dairy free products including sweeties, milk, cheese and ice cream.

I haven't eaten dairy for over 20 years (showing my age now!:confused) and, yes it is daunting at first, but I promise you will get used to it and once you know what products you can use then it gets easier. If you just look for products suitable for vegans then it saves you reading the list of ingredients.

You are correct about their being lactose in some medications and supplements. If you can take small amounts of lactose these shouldn't be so much of a problem.

If you ever need any advice just ask!

Allsorts
15-Mar-07, 15:40
Hi,
Both my kids are allergic to milk and milk products and you are right it is a learning curve but so much easier now than 8 years ago when we first had to think milk free. If you can take soya then its so much easier as we use that instead of butter/marg in recipes etc. Vitalite marg is milk free now and a lot cheaper than soya stuff.
Good luck and it will get easier. Mind you saying that I still have real problems when my mother in law makes things for the kids as she can't get use to it after all these years. There are some dark choclate that are milk free and you can get ice glaze that is milk free ice cream and its yummy.
Goodness direct is a great site and we use it a lot. Kids think its crimbo when the box arrives.

Liz we should share postage if you are doing an order from goodness direct - and yes the cats are still fab!!

ŠAmethyst
16-Mar-07, 08:08
I'm sure it was very difficult to get dairy free products just 5 years ago! I've decided not to buy anything online yet. It'll give me an incentive to find products and services near me.

I'm thinking 8 years is a long time to stay away from dairy, but 20! Sheesh, I know I'm probably going to get sick of all this dairy free stuff and just drink litres and litres of milk lol... actually, better not or will likely end up in raigmore.

(Allsorts - don't, please, don't mention cats around me or I'll start babbling on about mine... again lol)

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Still in a little bit of a panic about how I'll cope, but there's not much I can do except for eating vegan stuff.