PDA

View Full Version : Help .... bees

Dreamweaver
21-Jul-14, 17:43
Help .... we have a swarm of bees - think they're honey bees. Can anyone help or advise what to do?

kriklah
21-Jul-14, 17:46
leave them be........lol. had a swam in my garden couple of years ago, blacked out the garden for 10 mins, then regrouped together into a basketball sized ball high in a tree, then half hour later were gone,

Dreamweaver
21-Jul-14, 18:01
Hope you're right kriklah but think they might have gone into the wall

Scunner
21-Jul-14, 18:02
sent you a pm

Dreamweaver
23-Jul-14, 15:57
Is there a beekeeper out there who can help with this please? Highland Council won't help as the bees as a protected species. Give me a ring on 07522 334561

donnick
23-Jul-14, 16:07
see if there is a Caithness bee group and get in touch with them

Dreamweaver
23-Jul-14, 16:13
I've spoken to someone in Groats but unfortunately he was unable to come as far as Halkirk

Aaldtimer
23-Jul-14, 16:35
Have a ord with these folks :- http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?226181-Caithness-Pest-Control&highlight=pest+control

Dreamweaver
23-Jul-14, 16:52
Thanks - they can't help either :(

Big Gaz
23-Jul-14, 17:30
a mate of mine had a similar problem and he ended up borrowing a hive in the hope they would use it and if they did he would throw a plastic sheet over the hive and get it removed. They did actually use the hive after a few days and it's sat at the bottom of his garden now and he gets a good supply of both wax and honey now. might be worth a try?

Dreamweaver
23-Jul-14, 20:32
Thanks Gaz, we're going to give that a go tomorrow :)

Phill
23-Jul-14, 20:43
Leave them 'bee' is the best advice.
I accidentally mowed the top off a hive that they'd dug into my lawn, needless to say when a swarm shot out there was some sphincter action. But they soon went about their business.

I too was in the same boat, didn't have a clue and no one could help as protected.

That was a couple of weeks ago and they've gone now. Apparently the trick is not to breath over them, that sets them off.

Was actually quite fascinating watching them work.

Dreamweaver
23-Jul-14, 20:52
Thanks Phill :)

Scunner
23-Jul-14, 20:58
Honey bees in the lawn - how very strange - usually the lovely bumble that nest in the ground.

Phill
23-Jul-14, 21:56
Well, when I say lawn.....
It was a bit overgrown as we've been having work done and the 'lawn' hadn't been touched this year. More like a rough wasteland but I like to think of it as lawn.

travelling man
23-Jul-14, 22:28
Hi, i am a beekeeper and i would be willing to come and have a look and, if possible, take the swarm away for you. PM me your details if you want me to come?