PDA

View Full Version : Oh my! The cost of getting wed these days.

susie
19-Jul-14, 05:52
I was just reading an article on the BBC that said the average cost of getting married now is around £21.000

Well mine was £150.52. £150 covered the registrar and paperwork, back room in the pub, and slap-up pie and peas all round. The 52 pence was for a broken beer glass. The cake was a wedding present from my sister-in-law who went round the tables afterwards to pick up the plastic horseshoes etc, for re-use. When she asked me for the bride and groom ornament, I told her to get stuffed. I bought my own ring from a cheap place, but it proved to be a waste of money as I lost it within months of the blissful day during a hectic lambing session. Presumably some slaughterman will have thought the gods were looking after him when that ewe met her end!

Yes, I am, and always have been a tight-fisted type. We didn't want to spend that much, but you seem have to do something.

We were late too, 15 minutes late. We stopped on the way to look at a collie that was for sale and the mannie decided to gather all his hill to prove the dog was great! It didn't go down well with the registrar as our wedding was the last on Saturday and she was rather short with us during proceedings. We hadn't even thought about witnesses so she was more miffed as we tried to decide which family members to use.

My aunt wore black spiders web stockings and everyone was gob-smacked. My cousin ( a dentist) was telling my brand new husband that she could get some false teeth for the toothless, flat cap wearing farmer in the corner, then realised that it was his father.

A day to remember, for sure.

I was glad to get home that day.

squidge
19-Jul-14, 08:33
I got married six years ago and it cost £3000 all in. That included a sit down meal for 70 and hot rolls for 150 for the evening. Included dresses and kilt hires, plaid for the groom, wedding rings, hire of urquhart castle and Drum hall. We wrote our own wedding ceremony and our friend officiated so we did the registry office the week before to ensure it was legal. I had supporters not bridesmaids, wore green velvet and arrived at the Castle on a boat for the cost of a tenner.... To the amusement and bafflement of the other passengers who thought we had dressed like that just for a trip round the Loch!!! It was bring your own bottle but the fizz and the whisky was a gift from my parents.No disco or band just friends with guitars and singing. It was a great day and many of our guests still like to say how much they enjoyed it.