PDA

View Full Version : Digital cameras

Betty Boop
18-Jul-14, 10:59
Hi there,
Can anyone recommend a good digital camera? I'm in search of a new one to take to the Commonwealth Games :-)

Many thanks in advance.

gerry4
18-Jul-14, 12:53
i think you need to say what type. A point & shoot or a DSLR & also the price range. Digital cameras start at a few pounds to a few thousand. Enjoy the games & hope you get some good photos.

Kodiak
18-Jul-14, 13:12
Hi there,
Can anyone recommend a good digital camera? I'm in search of a new one to take to the Commonwealth Games :-)

Many thanks in advance.

In my opinion a small compact digital camera would be suitable and I would suggest :-

Nikon Coolpix S2700 16MP 6x Zoom Digital Compact Camera.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5599138.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

At the moment Argos, (It is in Stock in Wick), have it on sale at only £49.99, most other places are over £70. Here are the technical details :-

Product specification:

16 megapixels.
6x optical zoom.
4x digital zoom.
26mm wide angle lens.
2.7in LCD screen.
Continuous shooting up to 1.3 frames per second.
Image stabilisation.
Red eye reduction.
PictBridge compatible.

Features:

720p high definition video capture and playback with sound.
Maximum ISO 3200.
Intelligent scene mode.
Blink detection.
Self timer.
Built-in flash.

Memory card compatability:

SD, SDHC, SDXC.

General information:

Size H5.8, W9.5cm.
Weight 110g.
Depth 2cm (when switched off).
Batteries required: 1 x Li-Ion (included).
Colour: purple.
Includes USB cable, carry strap.

Good Make and at a Good Price and very easy to use, buy a 8gb SD Card to go along with it and you will be able take to lots and lots of great Pics.

Have FUN at the Games!

Dog-eared
18-Jul-14, 13:54
The Nikon Coolpix is a great camera , until the dreaded " Lens Error " message comes up and the lens sticks in the halfway out position. This is because on a Coolpix theres nothing to stop dirt or dust getting into the fine threads of the retracting mechanism of the pop out lens.
I have a lovely collection of three dead ones. I even tried keeping the camera in a plastic bag, inside a camera case....

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080509095954AAj1ztq

Kodiak
18-Jul-14, 16:04
This is not such a problem as you make out, it is possible for this to happen but it is not specific to Nikon Coolpix Digital Cameras. Lens Error has been a problem for nearly all Digital Cameras with a lens that extend. The main reason is because the camera has been dropped while the lens is extended and this has twisted the lens barrel out of alignment.

The real simple way to keep foreign objects from contaminating your Camera is to keep it in a Camera Case. These are cheap enough and for the Nikon CoolPix S2700 you can buy one for less than a fiver. If you do this and take reasonable care by not dropping it then all will be fine.

I have had several Nikon CoolPix Cameras, all with lenses that extend, plus other makes, and I have never ever had one of them have a "Lens Error" problem. If you take care of your equipment then you will have no problem. Simples :D

Betty Boop
18-Jul-14, 17:16
Thanks everyone, yes I think I would be looking for a point and shoot one ideally.

Kodiak
18-Jul-14, 21:44
Thanks everyone, yes I think I would be looking for a point and shoot one ideally.

The Nikon is a Point and Shoot Camera as it is fully automatic, the only thing that you would be required to do is to zoom in and out. The Flash is also Automatic so all you have to do is Poit it and press the Shutter Button and that is it, a perfect picture. Simples :Razz

bounce
18-Jul-14, 21:50
I love my samsung galaxy camera fully auto 41x zoom

Kodiak
18-Jul-14, 22:04
I love my samsung galaxy camera fully auto 41x zoom

Yes this is quite a good Camera but at well over £200 it is rather expensive and the Samsung Galaxy 2 Camera is £100 more, so they are rather expensive. Also I think you will find that it has a 21X Zoom.

Product Identifiers

Brand
Samsung

Model
EK-GC100

MPN
EK-GC100ZWAITV

EAN
8806085298682, 8806085605435

Key Features

Camera Type
Compact

Optical Zoom
21x

Sensor Resolution
16.3 MP

Screen Size
4.8"

Memory / Storage

Integrated Memory size
8192 MB

Supported Flash Memory
microSD Card, microSDHC Card, microSDXC Memory Card

Dimensions

Weight
305 gr

Display

Display Type
LCD

Display Size
4.8"

Connections

HDMI Output
Yes

Resolution

Max Video Resolution
1920 x 1080

Other Features

Features
720p HD Video Recording, Face Detection, Image Stabilisation, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi, autofocus

TouchScreen
Yes

richardj
19-Jul-14, 15:17
I would recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC - various models exist depending on budget, if you have the cash then the more expensive Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60EB-K Compact Digital Camera would be my choice

RIR
19-Jul-14, 19:19
The shutter speed (and shutter lag) on most compacts, along with reduced aperture at extended zoom, will not be fast enough for action photographs. You'd need a DSLR or CSC camera, or a high end bridge camera.

Ian.

Sandra_B
19-Jul-14, 20:21
I had a little Olympus one I loved. It was small enough for my handbag and idiot proof ( I can vouch for that).eta: I used mine when my kids were little. So lots of running about at playgrounds and school. I even got a couple of shots at a school sports day that were used by the school.

RIR
19-Jul-14, 20:34
This is about the best, with minimal outlay, that I can find for what you want it for. It can retain its f2.8 wide aperture throughout its 600mm (equivalent) zoom range. Panasonic Lumic DMC FZ-200 http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz200-digital-bridge-camera-86308/show.html?gclid=CP-Z2ZaO0r8CFXDLtAod6jMABQ

Ian.