PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness Gone Mad

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 11:50
A report on the TV this morning was saying that a school in Wales has banned the puils from making Mother's day cards in case it offends orphans.

And another place has banned kids from dressing up as Pirates incase it offends disabled people.

How ridiculous is this country becoming?

changilass
13-Mar-07, 11:55
I thought it went to far when I was told by a pre school worker last year that we dont sing ba ba black sheep to our kids anymore, who ever saw a rainbow sheep, cos I certainly aint[disgust]

darkman
13-Mar-07, 12:04
I agree it is totally ridiculous but what can be done to counter such stupidity.

changilass
13-Mar-07, 12:06
Line up all the do gooders and shoot them ?????? :lol:

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 12:07
I thought it went to far when I was told by a pre school worker last year that we dont sing ba ba black sheep to our kids anymore, who ever saw a rainbow sheep, cos I certainly aint[disgust]

Maybe we could ask some of our Org farmers if it is a new breed of sheep that we haven't heard about yet....lol

darkman
13-Mar-07, 12:10
I think we would have to address the litigious culture imported from our american cousins before we could get back a semblance of common sense.

changilass
13-Mar-07, 12:10
They have just said on 'this morning' that school teachers have been asked not to mark work as this could lead to negative comments to the children leading to low self esteme, my god, what next[disgust]

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 12:12
They have just said on 'this morning' that school teachers have been asked not to mark work as this could lead to negative comments to the children leading to low self esteme, my god, what next[disgust]

does that mean every kid will get an A++++++ just so they are not upset

Piglet
lol changi.

What ever happened to kids bn kids eh :eek:

To many people making a big fuss about possibilitys before they arise.

darkman
They have just said on 'this morning' that school teachers have been asked not to mark work as this could lead to negative comments to the children leading to low self esteme, my god, what next[disgust]Did you not know that F's are an excellent mark nowadays and A's are the baddies.

changilass
13-Mar-07, 12:13
You are right there darkman, when we were kids my big sis fell down a man hole that the cover had been left off. Seh drank from a straw for a week and was off school for nearly a month. The only fuss I can remember round that time was the school checking to see when she was coming back. Nowadays, parents would have been able to sue the council and she would have gotten months of school and lots of fuss.

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 12:14
Did you not know that F's are an excellent mark nowadays and A's are the baddies.

Does that mean I passed all my exams years ago...lol

Whooo hooo I am clever.

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 12:15

Then the kids can't see where they're going wrong in their work... so they won't improve... so, what... are we supposed to expect kids to stick with a primary school education which doesn't encourage them or tell them where to improve? They'll never get into uni like that!

Penelope Pitstop
A report on the TV this morning was saying that a school in Wales has banned the puils from making Mother's day cards in case it offends orphans.

And another place has banned kids from dressing up as Pirates incase it offends disabled people.

How ridiculous is this country becoming?

I think you'll find some of the schools up here don't do the Mother's Day Father's Day thing either - probably some kind of nationwide school policy.

changilass
Did you not know that F's are an excellent mark nowadays and A's are the baddies.

Can understand the new trend of home teaching, if this is what is going on in schools.

Would do it myself but I don't have enough indepth knowledge on all the subjects, plus part of going to school is to learn to interact with others outside of your family circle.

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 12:18
I think you'll find some of the schools up here don't do the Mother's Day Father's Day thing either - probably some kind of nationwide school policy.

Castletown Playgroup / Nursery and School still do it, the kids get 'golden time' where they can do art & crafts, read a book, play a game etc. One of our children still makes cards during this time.

darkman
13-Mar-07, 12:23
I think nowadays that the majority of people are aware of their rights, not a bad thing I might add but the authorities must now walk over egg shells so as not to offend anyone for fear of being sued..
The laws need to be brought up to date regarding litigation and only then can we eradicate the silliness prevailent in todays society.

Saveman
13-Mar-07, 12:34
baa baa rainbow sheep have you any wool?

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 12:38
Now they are on about 4 year old kids getting gay fairy tales, ie.. King and King.

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 12:39

How about jacob's sheep? Would that offend anyone? Probably all the non-Christians because they're in the Bible... but it really is a breed... and read into the story of it... apparently there was a form of witchcraft involved in that story - well, according to a minister I once knew, and I happen to agree with him... so would it offend or would it not? lol

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 12:41
Now they are on about 4 year old kids getting gay fairy tales, ie.. King and King.

In which case, it's all gone mad! Keep the classics... if parents want to tell their kids gay fairy tales it's up to them... no?

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 12:42
Here is an email I recieved a while back, though it was quite true

Oh I remember the days!
FOR THOSE BORN BEFORE 1986 According to today's regulators and bureaucrats,
those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived,
because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was
promptly chewed and licked. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on
doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.
When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops, or wooden Scholls, or black
Plimsoles and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger
seat was a treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.
We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we
were never overweight because we were always outside playing.
We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died
from this.
We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the
hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times,
we learned to solve the problem.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back
before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.
We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV,
no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no
DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.
We had friends - we went outside and found them.
We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!
We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no law-suits.
We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.
We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.
We walked to friends' homes.
We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive
us to school, which was just round the corner.
We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.
We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood (ahhhh the memory!)
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided
with the law.
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and
inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it
all.
And you're one of them.
Congratulations!
Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and
government regulated our lives, for our own good.
For those of you who aren't old enough thought you might like to read about us?
This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a smile on your face:
The majority of students in universities today were born in
1986........They are called youth.
They have never heard of we are the World, We are the children, and the Uptown Girl
they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have never heard of Rick Astley,
Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle.
For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.
AIDS has existed since they were born. CD's have existed since they were born.
Michael Jackson has always been white.
To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this
fat guy could be a god of dance.
They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year.
They can never imagine life before computers.
They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, Red Hand Gang or the Famous Five.
They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You.
They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they will never
understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.
Now let's check if we're getting old...
1. You understand what was written above and you smile.
2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3. Your friends are getting married/already married.
4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.
5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
6. You remember watching Dirty Den in EastEnders the first time around.
7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good Old days, repeating
again all the funny things you have experienced together.
8. Having read this mail, you are thinking of forwarding it to some other friends because
you think they will like it too... Yes, you're getting old - but what the heck -we've had fun!!

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 12:44
In which case, it's all gone mad! Keep the classics... if parents want to tell their kids gay fairy tales it's up to them... no?

What is the poor princess going to do now.

Piglet
13-Mar-07, 12:46

I quite agree with you ŠAmethyst but religion should also be up to the parents to teach as there are Christians & jews in our childs school but they have that every week in school so where do u draw the line.

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 12:54
I quite agree with you ŠAmethyst but religion should also be up to the parents to teach as there are Christians & jews in our childs school but they have that every week in school so where do u draw the line.

A majority of kids attend religious education classes, but it's totally up to the parents if the kids should attend or not. And all it should take is a simple letter or a short visit to the school.

My partner's sister doesn't go to the RE classes at her school as their father's Greek Orthodox - it's not mandatory.

Piglet
13-Mar-07, 12:59
It is in primary school as it is the local minister that comes in for an hour every Monday & all the school must attend i'm sure if i wrote a letter it would be fine but if we are going so pc one way shouldn't we be doing it the other way so that kids learn something about all religions. If we are going to be teaching them about all races & sexual preferences? Just a thought!:roll:

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 13:04
It is in primary school as it is the local minister that comes in for an hour every Monday & all the school must attend i'm sure if i wrote a letter it would be fine but if we are going so pc one way shouldn't we be doing it the other way so that kids learn something about all religions. If we are going to be teaching them about all races & sexual preferences? Just a thought!:roll:

Ah, I went to primary school (before I moved to Thurso) with Muslim girl. She got to sit in the classroom when the minister came round and read a book. We were all SO jealous.

I moved back to Inverness and when we went into high school, she just got to go to the library and check her e-mails or whatever lol.

It's up to the parents, if there's a good reason why you don't want your kids there, tell the school.

Kids should learn about other religions, I agree... I for one would make my kids go to RE if I had any lol. If we don't teach them, how are they going to be open minded? I think that 'protecting' (for lack of a better word) them from knowing things about other religions and races etc. then we're just encouraging racism. No?

changilass
13-Mar-07, 13:04
At one point I eneded up going to a catholic school (it had the best reputation in the area), I was givin the choice of wether or not to attend RE classes, I chose to go cos all my friends went.

The RE teacher actually explained to us how all the things that happend in the bible could be down to natural occurences, then went on to explain the beliefs behind it all. I had never had this in any of my previous schools, just had the bible quoted at me, I also found it interesting to see it from a diferent point of view.

Prayers were said in a different time slot, I just classed it as more education, from a different perspective, what is wrong in learning about the way others do things, it might just make us all a bit more tolerent and allow us to choose our religions rather than having our parents do it for us.

The_man_from_del_monte
13-Mar-07, 13:10
Line up all the do gooders and shoot them ?????? :lol:

These are not do gooders, these are sad miserable people who have had a crap life and wanna make sure everyone else suffers too....

changilass
13-Mar-07, 13:11
LOL TMFDM, you have a good point there:lol:

darkman
13-Mar-07, 13:15
Maybe it's time they had a 'compulsary' class specifically for the kids to learn about other religions, people are sometimes afraid of what they do not understand, maybe this would help overcome this irrational fear.
While I am at it I would make politics compulsary so kids when they reach 18 know exactly what choices there are for them politically.

The_man_from_del_monte
13-Mar-07, 13:15

Yes person, yes person three biodegradable bags full......

changilass
13-Mar-07, 13:17
Surely YES is a bit too direct and in your face, should it not be 'maybe person'???

darkman
13-Mar-07, 13:22
Surely YES is a bit too direct and in your face, should it not be 'maybe person'???You are offending my pal, he says he's not a person, he's a tree.

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 13:25
what about the master, dame and little boy.

Surely cannot be master anymore as all things are created as equals.
Is the Dame actually a trans gender person ?
and the Little Boy is being sexist so it must be 'young person'.

The_man_from_del_monte
13-Mar-07, 13:26
Surely YES is a bit too direct and in your face, should it not be 'maybe person'???

Good point Changi (I hope "point" isn't too sharp a word for you I don't mean to offend) I'm not too sure about bags "full" either.... this could be seen as fullist and may offend overweight people, poor people etc. "maybe person, maybe person three biodegradable bags brimming" Hold on....... "bags" could offend some people........

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 13:30
Good point Changi (I hope "point" isn't too sharp a word for you I don't mean to offend) I'm not too sure about bags "full" either.... this could be seen as fullist and may offend overweight people, poor people etc. "maybe person, maybe person three biodegradable bags brimming" Hold on....... "bags" could offend some people........

This poor rainbow sheep is now wishing that he/she was never sheared in the first place...lol

darkman
13-Mar-07, 13:30
All betty's unite and sue the tv channel that made ugly betty the bane of your life, you were bullied at school because of it.[lol]

jamieS
13-Mar-07, 13:42
All betty's unite and sue the tv channel that made ugly betty the bane of your life, you were bullied at school because of it.[lol]

Maybe it shouldn't be "Ugly Betty" but "Betty:Person Of Retricted Beauty"

darkman
13-Mar-07, 13:46
Maybe it shouldn't be "Ugly Betty" but "Betty:Person Of Retricted Beauty"How about, facially-challenged Betty?
What makes me laugh aswell is there was a program on the other night about women getting down to size zero, what's that all about?

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 13:49
baa baa rainbow sheep, have you any wool?

No person, the farmer was too afraid to shear me for fear of offending anyone

Saveman
13-Mar-07, 13:50
Politically corrected nursery rhymes will be appearing in the Literature section imminently.

Valerie Campbell
13-Mar-07, 14:13
I remember when the marmalade had the golly wog on it then it disappeared because it was seen as racist(which granted, it was a bit.) The the next thing was we weren't allowed to say the Ba Ba Black Sheep in nurseries but change it to happy sheep. That means I have a happy labrador!

cuddlepop
13-Mar-07, 14:16
You have to refer to your trousers as dark and not black.:confused
How on earth they get round this when its compulsory to wear black for a uniform and not blue trousers is beyond me.

changilass
13-Mar-07, 14:26
I phoned the Deaf society to see if I could get some wall charts for my wee boy as his granny is deaf and dumb, the lady on the phone nearly jumped down my throat for using the word dumb, till I explained to her that it is what my mother in law calls herself, telling her that if it was good enough for MIL then it was good enough for me, she quickly apolagised, but couldnt offer any help.

I have since got hold of posters from ebay and the wee man is learning some basic words and enjoying himself whilst doing it.

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 14:33
What about the white farmers in South Africa... if they're experiencing racism, what do they prefer to be called... non-coloured?

The_man_from_del_monte
13-Mar-07, 14:36
I go out of my way to annoy these people, it's the only way, if you conform to this politically correct nonsense you're playing right into their hands.

I was on this course a while back and the girl that was trying to run it was so full of this crud it got my back right up! She was a nervous wreck at the end of it, I tripped her up on everything she said.... she kept refering to the "whiteboard" I kept saying "It's a blackboard" she kept going on about "gender equality" I referred to her as "love" or "darling" and kept cracking dumb blonde jokes... she called mathematics "numbers", used buzzwords like "issues" (everything was a damned "issue" to her) "people person" "team player" "mind set" and she kept calling herself a "facilitator"..... absolute hogwash, the lot of it! 22 years old straight out of some nut farm of a university, she was genuinely "shocked" by me speaking my mind.... quite funny really but if this is the way they're being taught in schools these days I feel sorry for the generations to come... what a sterile, meaningless existence they'll lead.

darkman
13-Mar-07, 15:03
What about the white farmers in South Africa... if they're experiencing racism, what do they prefer to be called... non-coloured?There'll be intermediate pigmented birds over, the achromatic color of maximum lightness cliffs of dover.http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/voltarol/musak.jpg

darkman
13-Mar-07, 15:05
I she kept refering to the "whiteboard" I kept saying "It's a blackboard"Why didn't you tell her you were offended as a white malebyher reference to an inanimate object as white.[lol]

The_man_from_del_monte
13-Mar-07, 16:15
Why didn't you tell her you were offended as a white malebyher reference to an inanimate object as white.[lol]

Whiteboard / BLACK pen - Blackboard / WHITE chalk

She'd have been as well writing all her crud on a whiteboard with a white pen..... it all went in one ear and out the other.......

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 17:09
It's quite funny, I think, when someone calls a blackboard a whiteboard just because they don't want to use the word black. Had one teacher who did this... I got soooo annoyed with her!

steeko
13-Mar-07, 17:24

If this were the case I think my self esteme would have all but disappeared by now :)

Dusty
13-Mar-07, 22:09

Surely the temporary holding receptacles would be ullage deficient!

Dusty.

Dusty
13-Mar-07, 22:15
I think it was today's Daily Express that carried a story about how kid's Nursery Rhymes were being altered to appease the PC Brigade and an example of the hansome prince marrying another handsome prince was given.

I have absolutely no idea what the beautiful princesses are up to!

Dusty.

peedie
13-Mar-07, 22:25
did anyone see on the news today that school are being asked not to use red pens when marking pupils work as it is very negative. i always got lots of red pen on all my work but i was not dyslexic then i was thick! [lol] hows that for p.c?

Rheghead
20-Sep-07, 18:23
OK, Please tell me why the Blue Peter cat was not called Cookie?:confused Have I missed something? Is there something wrong with this name?:confused

Oddquine
20-Sep-07, 21:15

Or alternatively, it could mean that teachers haven't grasped that a child in their class is dyslexic.........and assume that they are slow............leading to one to one help............and the low self esteem that comes with having to have help without any explanation to the child's peers.

As a granny who erupted at her grand-daughters parent's night in first year of the primary at the lack of correction for blatant errors, and whose son has spent the years since nursery trying to get her assessed for dyslexia, I'm inclined to think that they feel if they ignore problems, they don't have to do anything about them.