PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Gala opening night

Mr P Cannop
13-Jul-14, 12:00
there was only 1 floot at the gala last night such a shame might be the end of the gala

orkneycadian
13-Jul-14, 12:13
Unfortunately, the days where you make your own entertainment are on the way out, and its much easier to get it delivered by broadband or satellite. :(

Mr P Cannop
13-Jul-14, 12:28
so sad and such a shame

Sandra_B
13-Jul-14, 15:30
Other towns manage to support their galas, it seems to be just Thurso that has such a lackadaisical attitude. It's not just the gala that will go but also the things the money TTIA raises for. So, come Christmas, maybe there will only be half as many lights/decorations?

budgeJ
13-Jul-14, 20:47
This sort of thing is considered uncouth in Thurso. Now Wick's Gala Night parade is a right rolling party.

travelling man
13-Jul-14, 21:54
I agree it was a shame that there was only one float and a few walkers but those who took part were excellent. Lots of people are criticising the gala but most of them are not prepared to do anything themselves. It is easy to be critical of other people's efforts but the gala will only improve when more people are willing to take part or help in some way instead of leaving everything to a few volunteers and then moaning about it.

macrosie
14-Jul-14, 14:21
You're right. On the street today I met lots of people complaining about the Gala but none of them had dressed up or taken part in any way. Some of them hadn't even bothered to come down and watch. The Gala won't improve until these people realise that it's as much their responsibility as anyone else's to put in some effort to keep it going. The committee put in a lot of work throughout the year organising and planning but can't can't do it all.

midi2304
15-Jul-14, 22:31
People seem to be ignoring what I personally feel was the bigger issue on the night. There was only one float - it had a Blues Brothers theme - and attached to said float, both on it and walking around it were maybe 10-12 people 'blacked up'. I could not believe what I was seeing. Unbelievable. I've only recently moved back to Caithness and for that kind of thing to be considered normal and good-humoured blows my mind.

bustergirl
16-Jul-14, 10:39
there may have only been one float and a few walkers, but at least they made the effort and dress up. People can moan about the gala, they can moan about people not making effort anymore, but why are you relying on others? you could easily do something. when i was a child, the gala was what id look forward to, there was always so many creative floats, when thurso would come together to provide a spectacular show. now, there is only float, because yes nobody will put the effort into it, including those who complain. think about this for next years gala and then maybe, just maybe thurso will have a good gala just like everywhere else.