PDA

View Full Version : The Queen's Baton John O'Groats Friday morning

Flavours
10-Jul-14, 14:07
The Queen's Baton is in John O'Groats tomorrow (Friday 11th July) at 9a.m. to 9.30a.m

windowman
10-Jul-14, 17:48
Make sure it gos to old sign post not the new metal thing in on the brae in front off cafe as its got the wrong miles on it for lands end to jog .have nice day

Chook a demus
10-Jul-14, 17:57
Remind me tae avoid groats tamaerow lol

Moira
10-Jul-14, 21:38
The Queen's Baton is in John O'Groats tomorrow (Friday 11th July) at 9a.m. to 9.30a.m

Thanks for the reminder, Flavours. Looking forward to welcoming the Queen's baton in Wick tomorrow. I'm working from home so might be lucky enough to see it. :)

gerry4
10-Jul-14, 22:08
The local paper were advising people to buy the Groat tomorrow to find out the times of where it will be :eek:

Moira
11-Jul-14, 23:14
OMG, I blinked this morning & missed it Was so intent on my work, heard some cheers in the background. By the time I got to the front door I only spotted some support vehicles passing by and the police presence.

Anyone else have any more luck?

orkneycadian
12-Jul-14, 11:31
I doubt you missed much. It seems to be nothing more than a fancy looking stick that gets chauffeured around in planes, trains and automobiles, and occasionally gets out of the car/bus to get carried a short distance by some people, watched mainly by their immediate families. If the pictures on Radio Orkney's Facebook page are anything to go by.

Must be a tidy contract for Police Scotland and whoever provides all the vehicles and motorbikes that are involved.

budgeJ
12-Jul-14, 17:38
I doubt you missed much.

Had the unfortunate coincidence of being in Alness when this performance was going on. Couldn't park or stop your car anywhere near the town centre if you were on normal business. More police people and police cars than I've ever seen at any event. Then the anti-climax - a handful of people standing at a few points on the main street; some self centred people jogged down the high street; and that was it.

What's the point of this expensive charade ?

benji
14-Jul-14, 12:32
Holiday Inn Express - Inverness - Friday night

6 x police motorbikes
2 x police cars
1 x police van
2 x BBC Scotland TV cars
1 x Baton branded truck
1 x Baton branded coach
3 x Baton branded cars
4 x Baton branded vans
22 x Baton branded minibuses (note this is not a typo but 22)

Personally I feel this is excessive. Could the organisers not have toned down the vast number of people/vehicles associated with the baton and spent the money on sports?

orkneycadian
14-Jul-14, 18:48
Yikes! Thats a scary hotel bill - Even if they double up into twin rooms, thats still 22 rooms for the drivers alone, let alone any passengers.

Kevin Milkins
15-Jul-14, 00:36
The Bridge Street, Wick collection.http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/IMG_8844.jpg?t=1405380749 http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/IMG_8845.jpg?t=1405380766 http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/IMG_8846.jpg?t=1405380779

Moira
15-Jul-14, 22:51
Thanks Kevin. I knew someone around here would be more alert than myself. :)